Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Allemaengel t1_ix4g954 wrote

I'm from northeastern PA but work in nearby Bucks County and am into history.

Not super-familiar with Chester County but as a very large and prosperous county I'm fairly confident that they'd have a sizable historical and/or genealogical society down that way in the West Chester area that would be able to help you out.

Good luck!

maxwellington97 t1_ix4if7s wrote

Yup. The Chester County historical society is located in West Chester and has some really helpful and knowledgeable staff.

Allemaengel t1_ix4jrs8 wrote

That's great for OP and kudos to Chester County. Good staff in any library or society represent such an underappreciated resource in any community.

I grew up in a very rural PA community with no library whatsoever at a time that the internet wasn't yet in widespread use and from personal experience libraries and historical/genealogical societies matter.

maxwellington97 t1_ix4jyl7 wrote

Oh for sure. Especially because those are the kinds of people that will fight for the history of the area to be preserved in a way beyond just files in a room.

supportbreakfast t1_ix4kdb1 wrote

Second this. I worked there for a bit and the librarians truly care so much and will help you find what you’re looking for!

geewhizliz OP t1_ix4v305 wrote

Thanks everyone! I’ve never been there in person but it seems like it would be worth the trip

waywardbabble t1_ix4sg4o wrote

The Chester County archives are also great- I’ve been there so do research and the folks there are incredibly helpful.

BramDeccapod t1_ix5atvl wrote

Chester County Historical Society

geewhizliz OP t1_ix8dzzc wrote

Just sent a research request to them! Thanks!

-js23 t1_ix5jkki wrote

Your local library may have some old local history books, might not hurt stopping in and asking.

PhiladelphiaManeto t1_ix5yjup wrote

Curious what the Chester County connection is?

West Philly and Lower MontCo have a million things named after Wynne. In fact I live a few blocks from his colonial home.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wynnestay

You should check some Philadelphia archives

geewhizliz OP t1_ix7u35r wrote

That’s wild. My mom grew up in Ohio and my dad in New York. I happened to end up in Chester county. What are the chances that I had roots here? Wild

PhiladelphiaManeto t1_ix89237 wrote

geewhizliz OP t1_ix8ax5h wrote

Thanks! I’m going to dig around more. Seems almost too unbelievable. I’ve requested some genealogical research with some historical societies.

Ghstfce t1_ix67mix wrote

You're related to the personal physician to William Penn?

geewhizliz OP t1_ix7u8cr wrote

Another branch has me related to some early settlers in the Virginia colony and Jamestown. History is wild

Ghstfce t1_ix7uuug wrote

I'm related to George Taylor, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence on my paternal grandmother's side.

geewhizliz OP t1_ix7u52q wrote

If my research is correct. I’ve had some other family do some genealogy research and they came to the same findings.

RevolutionaryEar1789 t1_ix7iw20 wrote

Hey man, I just got my MA in History this year and the best place to look for information on local history and specifically people is the local universities libraries. I'm sure they'd be ok letting you read a little bit even if you don't have a student ID, but you couldn't go home with any books most likely. Maybe a librarian could help you do a digital database search as well, you never know what may have been digitized these days.

Another thing you can do is use Familysearch.org to look documents pertinent to their lives. it's like Ancestry but it's free to use.

geewhizliz OP t1_ix7tyiw wrote

Thanks!! I use ancestry but since finding out I actually have local ancestors I was wondering if local places would have more insight. Love history but don’t know what I’m doing haha

RevolutionaryEar1789 t1_ixtmor3 wrote

History is all around you, it just takes some dedicated focused effort to find it, and a little luck too.