Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Fine_With_It_All t1_iwz3o8m wrote

It’s nice now that the election is over we can get back to our regular programming on this sub

heili t1_ix5dj2f wrote

Finally, the usual kvetching can continue.

Ct-5736-Bladez t1_iwy2u1r wrote

With how much they put on the roads you really could build a salt man

glasswing048 t1_iwywp0k wrote

I won't complain because when they don't salt and it snows...it's a much bigger deal

maesterofwargs t1_iwz9avr wrote

I read the title of this post in the voice of Squirrelly Dan from Letterkenny

ramcatt t1_iwzpzgu wrote

“Use it or loose it” municipal budgeting at its finest…

radiowave911 t1_iwze0tb wrote

I don't often see salt in that form around here as a pre-treatment. Most in this area use a liquid salt. When I worked for the municipal road crew in the 90's, we had magnesium chloride, not sure if that is still used or not. We had our spreaders outfitted with a sprayer system. If we were putting down the salt/anti-skid material after a snowfall, the system would be used to spray the material as it came out of the hopper and onto the spinner. Typically, the liquid would only be used at intersections. You could tell where it had been used. Now I see the tell-tale traces on the roadways when they have been sprayed as a pre-treatment - the whitish residue (the salt itself) after the liquid carrier dries. We didn't do that when I was doing that work - our snow preparation amounted to topping off the fuel in the plow trucks, putting the chains on the plow trucks, and loading the spreaders with the salt/anti-skid mix. Beginning of the season, the dump trucks that were the plow trucks would have stone put in the dump bed to act as ballast. We did not put the plows on the trucks in advance, or we would not be able to put them in the garage. The exception was the small dump truck and the 4WD pickup truck that were used to plow alley ways, cul-de-sacs, and clean up intersections after the big trucks came through.

Dredly t1_iwz5e7l wrote

And then all of this amazing anti-slippery stuff gets to cause lots of slippery... then runs into the water ways. yayyyy

badgerbarthowlemeiux t1_iwzg2mk wrote

We all know Saltmen love to eat the undercarriage of your car.

efeaf t1_ix6hhqg wrote

There’s a place near me that uses way too much period. It’s like they just take the whole bag and just dump the whole thing while walking very slowly so there’s just piles of salt connected by a small trail that’s probably caused by people walking, or driving into their lot, over it.

AgentNose t1_iwylhxx wrote

They don’t use salt to treat the roads before snow. It’s mainly cinder or brine.

−6

Dredly t1_iwz55kt wrote

brine is.... ?

axeville t1_iwz9mmm wrote

Calcium chlorite iirc.