Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Mijbr090490 t1_j02y67s wrote

State forests are your best bet. Try ridge Rd in Michaux state forest starting at the Mt Holly Spring side. Also, purchase some Purple Lizard maps. They are highly detailed and will show you many dirt roads across the areas they offer.

newworldman1070 t1_j02eard wrote

I don’t know if any places in particular, but state forest roads are unpaved. I wouldn’t really call them rugged.

Part of me wonders why people buy Jeeps and other off road capable vehicles, and then have to go out of there way to find a place to use them. Like the caravan of side by sides that are towed to my county each weekend because the owners live on .5 acres in a housing plan somewhere. Is it a status thing?

[deleted] t1_j02gjfm wrote

Idk about OP but driving on forest roads is about as close as someone with mobility issues can get to hiking, people just want to get outside any way they can.

Why does it matter where they come from?

newworldman1070 t1_j02hlv0 wrote

It just seems odd that someone would purchase something, that requires driving hours to use and enjoy. Why own ATVs when your place of residence has a prohibition on riding them? Why do people living in the suburbs drive huge diesel trucks when they never use them for anything more than getting groceries and going to work in an office job?

I own a jeep, I live in a very remote part of the state, on a steep, poorly maintained road. I needed something with a good amount of ground clearance, and the ability to gear down very low while descending my steep icy road. I also have a large truck, as we have a farm and need to haul horses, hay and other supplies. I’m always amazed when I visit a larger city at the number of Jeeps and trucks that I see that clearly haven’t been used for their intended purpose.

−1

James0nJuiceb0x t1_j02jgqf wrote

> It just seems odd that someone would purchase something, that requires driving hours to use and enjoy.

I mean, I don't think it's odd at all that people sometimes need to travel to better locations to indulge in their hobbies.

Sometimes I drive 2+ hours to fish a certain lake for something - is that odd?

newworldman1070 t1_j02khzb wrote

I don’t think that’s a valid comparison. I fish, and I’ve been known to travel a bit to fish a specific lake, but I can also use that gear to fish on lakes only a few minutes down the road.

A better comparison would be this, hypothetically living in North Central PA, my hobby is marlin fishing. I have a 28 foot center console that I have to drive to the outer banks to use. The marlin lures are way to big for anything in this area to eat, and the boat can’t be used as no ramp is large enough to handle it and all the local lakes are electric motors only.

−5

James0nJuiceb0x t1_j02kz8j wrote

> I don’t think that’s a valid comparison.

Okay. But, again, what's odd about someone having to travel to indulge in a hobby? People should only have hobbies that are available in their immediate vicinity?

Just let people enjoy what they want to enjoy lol

newworldman1070 t1_j02ljfu wrote

I’m not prevent anyone from doing anything. Hell I even gave them a suggestion on where to find a place to ride.

I simply commented that it seems odd to me that people purchase things like Jeeps and ATVs and then have to go out of their way to enjoy them.

Maybe it’s because of how I was raised and farm life that I don’t view things like ATVs and big trucks as toys, but as tools.

−2

Mijbr090490 t1_j037zsn wrote

>I simply commented that it seems odd to me that people purchase things like Jeeps and ATVs and then have to go out of their way to enjoy them.

I wouldnt say people are going out of their way to enjoy their hobbies. For me, half the fun is the drive there. We always take different routes and see different stuff.

>Maybe it’s because of how I was raised and farm life that I don’t view things like ATVs and big trucks as toys, but as tools.

I don't see how some of the ATVs and SXSs are anything but toys.

AgentNose OP t1_j02lqx0 wrote

You’re kind of missing the point of owning something with multiple uses. I chose to buy a vehicle that can get me to work, perform basic homeowner tasks(it’s the truck jeep model), has a community that has shows and meet ups, we tent camp and it can be outfit with gear to make tent camping better, etc. I use 75% of what and why I bought it daily. I’m just looking for a place to use the other 25%.

newworldman1070 t1_j02nizp wrote

We’ll I hope you enjoy it. I was very excited for the Gladiators to come out, as I thought I could get a vehicle that met all my needs. Having the truck bed, off-road capability and it was rumored to have an increased towing capacity over the Wrangler.

However when I went to look at one, I found a truck with a bed too short to be practical, a towing capacity too light to be useful and a jeep with a longer wheelbase and no weight over the rear axle, not ideal for traversing steep, icy roads.

−3

CharacterBrief9121 t1_j02uty9 wrote

Why don’t you live somewhere where you don’t have to have a jeep to get to your house?

Works both ways dude

newworldman1070 t1_j02wau2 wrote

I mean I could, but then I’d be that guy having to drive hours to do his preferred hobbies.

[deleted] t1_j05gbhj wrote

Why own fucking golf clubs then if I can’t golf 18 holes in my backyard right? Are you this fucking stupid?

worstatit t1_j070zlk wrote

People buy them for the same reason they buy 200mph supercars, because they want them and can afford them. None of my business. If a sedan or minivan bores the fuck out of somebody, why can't they enjoy the illusion of being a rugged outdoorsman while driving to work?

Dredly t1_j02rrdo wrote

May want to check in advance and make sure they are open as well, sometimes they get closed, or cross into game lands which are often closed

schu2470 t1_j02tqro wrote

Check out your local state forest. I'm near Bald Eagle State Forest and there's dozens upon dozens of miles of logging roads and a bunch of drivable trails with varying levels of ruggedness. I've got an AWD Rav4 with all terrain tires and have found a mix of things my car has handled easily and some things I wouldn't even try without a lift and some bigger tires.

Fish_out_of_desert t1_j02hyua wrote

Try the back country discovery route.

AgentNose OP t1_j02kuyr wrote

Unless there’s specific sections that work, this trail is for motorcycles. But thank you!

Fish_out_of_desert t1_j02l697 wrote

To be honest I’ve never been but according the website it claims that offroad vehicles can fit on the trail. But if you already checked out then thats good to know. EDIT I just double checked and you’re right. My bad.

AgentNose OP t1_j02osn4 wrote

I appreciate the help anyway! I’ve never heard of this route or system before. Maybe I will sell my street bike for a dual sport now!

elefantsblue t1_j02qs0r wrote

Head to Michaux State Forest, that’s the closest one for you.

jimthebuilder67 t1_j02v5hb wrote

Go to french creek park Rifle range. Theres a gate thats open sometimes and you can ride there. I think. At least I did few yrs ago

Dry_Presence7112 t1_j030muw wrote

Ridge rd in Mt Holly Springs

Mijbr090490 t1_j038esf wrote

Be careful going in the winter. That first hill is hairy as fuck and you're committed once you're on it. Wouldn't want to come down that way. Lol.

And_Melt t1_j03c27x wrote

If near NJ, you can head down to the pine Barrens

AgentNose OP t1_j08b5jy wrote

I’m not trying to end up like Pauly Walnuts!

bignick222 t1_j03j1n9 wrote

Any roads that go thru a game land are two A stone roads look up a game land near you

ReezyRebellion037 t1_j03le88 wrote

Gut Rd in York Haven. There’s also mudding trails all over Enola if you’re into that.

Mijbr090490 t1_j03z694 wrote

They closed the off road section at the end of Gut Rd. with locked gates and the owner is quick to call the cops.

Tower Rd in Enola is pretty good. Don't know if the mud pits are still at the top though.

ReezyRebellion037 t1_j04h1cn wrote

Oh wow. I didn’t know about Gut rd. I used to frequent the area in high school.

Tower rd is where is was referring to in enola. I just couldn’t remember the road name. My husband and I were there often in early 2013 trying to jog labor with our daughter. (It didn’t work and she was born 10 days after my due date 😂)

the_dorf t1_j04mxbg wrote

There are a few Amish roads in Lancaster county that are gravel and rutted at points, but most are not long.