Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

skippyspk t1_j8ldxi6 wrote

It’s FUCKING awesome. Get a mix of the hot and garlic. Wash it down with some Soju and you’re going to have a good time.

noideazzzz t1_j8mfkj6 wrote

I take my out of town gluten free friends there. Their fried chicken is gluten free. If they are from an area without a lot of Korean restaurants, they are over the moon to have good (or any) fried chicken. It’s the only Korean fried chicken place I have tried in Rhode Island. It’s good, but not worth making a social trip there. I prefer their sister restaurant Den Den Asiana if I’m in town and want Korean. I travel a lot to areas with a Koreatown for work and my fix then.

KennyWuKanYuen t1_j8m8l68 wrote

They were good pre-pandemic, dipped during the pandemic, came back bussin’ during the endemic phase.

Their supplier seems to fluctuate a bit as they’ve had really big and really small wings with no standard size for a period of time (2020-2021/2).

I had previously liked BBQ Chicken more, which is up the street, but their prices have ballooned so much that it’s not worth it (not to mention the decline in quality too).

Overall, they’re a strong 7.8/10 for me (A-/B+) for KFC, but I honestly think I still prefer Crave up in Boston and KoChix down in D.C. I do have a soft spot for BonChon since they’re my first foray into Korean fried chicken, despite declining QC issues.

missliddyliddy t1_j8obhzz wrote

You are spot on with your review. My family and I are diehard fans, supported them throughout the pandemic, but sometimes they miss the mark. Jack, the manager, was great but never came back from paternity leave. The service has improved recently and food is always good, but when the stars align it’s amazing.

KennyWuKanYuen t1_j8oe4p1 wrote

Thank you. I had frequented Thayer for a bit before working on Thayer for 3 years, which was why I had some high hopes for them. I was disappointed when they shrunk their kimbap portions and they haven’t gone back since.

Odd-Independent4640 t1_j8mjhgk wrote

My family and I (all Korean) love it. Fried chicken is amazing though the rest of the menu is just okay by Korean standards. Wings are good enough to justify the drive into College Hill from East bay and dealing with street parking. For Super Bowl type parties you can order large volumes of wings at the last minute and they’ve always accommodated me no problem.

jdharper t1_j8lqdkb wrote

I know that their sister restaurant, Den Den Cafe Asana, is my favorite local restaurant. I love the squid and pork belly barbecue.

My only complaint is that it is difficult to park nearby and they don't have any local delivery options, so it ends up being a special treat when I'm in the area. Which is also why I've never tried the fried chicken place: any time I am close enough to try it I end up getting the thing I know I'll like instead.

Bronnakus t1_j8nlk80 wrote

this is your sign to finally just try the fried chicken, it's transcendent

vilake2014 t1_j8lde4e wrote

Food is good, nice ambiance and reasonable price. Btw you can walk to Prospect Park from Den Den.

RIFCSUPERFAN t1_j8n1frv wrote

Great fried chicken but for other Korean food hit the sun &moon in east providence.

bentlarkin t1_j8nk474 wrote

Good for providence Korean food but if you’ve had great Korean food it leaves you wanting more. Providence needs a Bonchon.

noungning t1_j8p37ws wrote

One day, I was driving by Providence Place Mall and saw a Bonchon truck leaving the mall. It gave me hope, but I tried reaching out to their social media accounts and it's been a dud.

I dislike what the new Bonchon has done to most menus. But their chicken has been consistent and sooo good. I personally love the spicy chicken and I cannot find a replacement.

SDVNova t1_j8px7la wrote

I like it. The fried coating and sauce can be overwhelming sometimes. If you don't mind the drive, I'd say try Crave in Chinatown, Boston. Best Korean fried chicken I've had so far.

HandleNo8032 t1_j8lgpd6 wrote

I think is very good. Might be bias because my sister in law cooks there

chickenl1ttle t1_j8nqmpn wrote

great food but the wait staff is always in a terrible mood. Probably something to do w the fact there’s no tipping.

Woahmikeison t1_j8p1m5u wrote

Yeah, Denden is very good, but don’t sleep on Sura KBBQ

If you haven’t tried it yet Hanju Kitchen inside the Royal Bobcat on Atwells absolutely smacks

iLuvTwice t1_j8wk98g wrote

They're really consistent quality. I never recommend kfc as takeout though since the chicken tends to get soggy in boxes.

WetNetBet t1_j8lcnqj wrote

It’s good. But go to B.B.Q a couple of stores over for bomb ass Korean fried chicken

HunabJA t1_j8mjshv wrote

Best chicken I've had... So far.

Gringogreg85 t1_j8mmadd wrote

It’s the best fried chicken I’ve ever had. Top notch 11/10. The curry katsu and tang su dumplings are also fire. Add a bottle of gris blanc rose to the order and you have a perfect meal.

R3dd1tBro t1_j8mml9l wrote

Very tasty and you'll definitely get you bang for your buck 😋

Competitive-Ad-5153 t1_j8mvcxe wrote

AWESOME place, but if you're sensitive to greasy food, get some Tums

Keeks2021Moderna t1_j8nxjti wrote

…Or maybe don’t eat fried chicken since it’s literally deep fried in a bucket of grease.

Square-Ad771 t1_j8mzdqy wrote

A prov staple but wouldn’t say it’s really that authentic lol

Loveroffinerthings t1_j8nyisy wrote

Looooooove it, not the best KFC I’ve had, but for this area it’s solid. It did seem better before the pandemic, maybe they lost a cook or something, but it’s still solid. Also, points for the no tipping culture there.

SquatC0bbler t1_j8o1z8h wrote

Had dinner there last night, might have been the best chicken katsu curry I've had, and the price was very reasoable. 10/10!

Medical_Ad_7170 t1_j8ooefs wrote

I've been going since day one and it hurts me to say the quality has gone down in the last year or so, it's still good but not anywhere it used to be. Still worth a try

noungning t1_j8p2h2c wrote

They're pretty good for the wings. Some of their other plates are hit or miss.

GossamerGlenn t1_j8pn1zb wrote

Someone I work with swears by it and says the only better spot “around here” is in Boston. Iv been once and will go again but will always day dream about it more than I could ever go.

boulevardofdef t1_j8my6h9 wrote

It's one of the best restaurants in town. The fried noodle rolls will blow your hair back.

EVRYTHNGISTRBLE t1_j8ldyg5 wrote

Went there once. Fried chicken was soggy, lukewarm, and reminded me of general tsos takeout. Could’ve just been an off night, but it didn’t make me want to come back. The other Den Den location was great.

−3

PipeLayer2016 t1_j8m3005 wrote

Was really disappointed when I visited. The service was terrible and the food mediocre. Had rave reviews on this sub, but I suspect this sub is full of college aged kids who don't leave the hill very often.

−7

EVRYTHNGISTRBLE t1_j8mxnp6 wrote

If you haven’t been, Sun and Moon in east providence has some of the best Korean I’ve had in the area.

PipeLayer2016 t1_j8m2sgc wrote

Overrated, the service is not good, and Thayer St is a pain to visit in general. But, Reddit's prime demographic probably doesn't stray far from College Hill, so for them, it's the best thing around.

−13