Submitted by TristanTaylorsVoice t3_z5gu8y in RhodeIsland

We live in Cranston and looking at an oil bill from Petro this year of $1200 every 1.5 months, and already hit our price cap of $6 something a gallon. Last year it was $800 and roughly $4 per gallon.

In South County a friend with SmithCo was capped at $4.89 per gallon this year, their October bill was $500 and last year their cap was $2.89 per gallon. But Smithco doesn't serve past East Greenwich.

We have an oil tank that heats our house and water. We also have excellent service of same day if not next day for emergencies, and we'd need significantly cheaper pricing like the above to switch. We also don't have the option to switch to gas.

If we cancel the Petro contract, it will cost $500, but if we find something closer to SmithCo pricing it would definitely be worth it for the rest of the winter. Unfortunately, it looks like the other vendors we've been looking to find in Cranston are sub-contracted from Petro as well. Anyone in Cranston have better luck otherwise?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

buddhamanjpb t1_ixwd4fa wrote

I use Aurora Fuel. Been with them for 7 years. I've yet to find anyone that has as low of a price as them. 100 gallons minimum, no fancy auto-fills, just call them when you need it and they are usually there the next day. Their service and staff are fantastic.

I can't believe people sign contracts with these rip-off oil companies like Petro. Get out of that as soon as possible.

One4goodluck t1_ixwht1k wrote

Kent county oil have been awesome. Petro screwed us in a contract 10 years ago. After I paid off that debacle I started using Kent county. I don’t have a contract. Just got a next-day delivery for 5.19 a gallon. When we were broke years ago they were also the only one that would deliver just 50 gallons.

PrincessFig t1_ixwoq4x wrote

Have had a great experience with Kent Oil so far.

Aeronaute t1_ixwyeir wrote

When I was recently looking to get oil service at a new house, I called half a dozen oil companies. Kent County Oil was the only one that answered their phone and/or called back with info. I don't know how their prices compare, but they were far and away the best to deal with.

Intelligent_Berry914 t1_ixx33tk wrote

Newenglandoil.com is the best place to look for cash on delivery prices... We generally use A star and they've been awesome. I don't have any suggestions for a contract company. Sorry.

Staggered401 t1_ixwb466 wrote

Petro is a ripoff and Dupuis has very bad customer service as well as a lot of sketchy clauses in their contract. I’ve been using Pricerite out of seekonk for years now and they are always low but also use very clean oil and their customer service is very very good with no contracts.

NashiraTremont t1_ixwis1a wrote

Midnight Oil is supposed to have great prices.

grantnlee t1_ixwszqy wrote

I swear by Speedy Oil. Have had them for many years.

Throatbutter401 t1_ixw4dcf wrote

We're spending our first winter in our new house that has oil heat. We shopped around and landed on Dupuis. This year they're capped at 4.99, but if you sign up for their service plan they take 10 cents off. It was about 850 for 175 gallons.

joeysac t1_ixwvmi1 wrote

Midnight fuel oil is good I have used them for a few years and just had 100gal yesterday for 503 which last me 6-7 weeks and our water and heat are run off it

Academic_Actuary_971 t1_ixx9ixl wrote

Apple Valley Oil has their prices right on the website, they come when you call, and have excellent drivers. Currently $4.49. No contract needed.

[deleted] t1_ixzuxqo wrote

I don’t own a house or use oil. But I am curious if I am reading this right. It cost $1200 to heat your home and water for 1.5 months?

drewtee t1_iy84ki9 wrote

I just paid $525 for 100 gallons. If they're filling their tank, that's spot on

TristanTaylorsVoice OP t1_iy1bsil wrote

That's our current projection for next time we have to fill, based on the new price given to us a few days ago :(

drewtee t1_iy855wy wrote

We use Glow Oil. They're the friendliest oil company I've dealt with and you can even order online. They seem to only deliver on Thursdays though so you need to plan ahead.