Submitted by A_Ghost___Probably t3_105w10z in RhodeIsland

Are the delivery charges for natural gas making up the most of everyone's bills? Has it always been this way? Im paying twice as much for the delivery as I am for the supply.

I can't find the historical rates for delivery on the RI Energy site, data which has always been provided by national grid. Seems like all the news articles these last few months are writing about the supply rates going up but don't mention delivery charges. Anyone know how much these rates (which RIE are able to profit off mind you) have gone up?

I had lived in Attleboro up until this year and the supply charges were always about even with the delivery.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Accurate-Historian-7 t1_j3eiiom wrote

Paid 481$ last month for electric. 3 bed 1 bath home with electric heat! Screw renting and fuck Rhode Island utility companies.

climb-high t1_j3hnl8z wrote

Electric heat is like running a toaster around the clock. Yer fucked

Accurate-Historian-7 t1_j3hnx74 wrote

Haha yup. That’s why we only have the kids room and living room turned on. All other rooms are set at 45 just so nothing freezes. Spend my days in slippers and multiple layers.

canalguyopen t1_j3u36xa wrote

In the richest country in the world. With the largest reserve of natural gas on the planet. We should be paying pennies on the dollar. This isn’t just happening, it’s being done to you.

retrotransposon1 t1_j3gumt9 wrote

I also noticed that delivery is twice as much of consumed gas. I don't get it. What's the point of keeping thermostats low if they still pound you for getting you the goods?

A_Ghost___Probably OP t1_j3htxtw wrote

Yea, I don't understand why the delivery charges were increased when all the news was about supply side issue. Seems like all the outrage was focused on that, but meanwhile the delivery charge is really what is getting everyone who uses natural gas for heat.

I find it very hard to understand why the infrastructure that has been in place for many years is suddenly costing us so much more.

Makes me think these companies are using the income from the delivery side to jack up their profits and using current events and supply cost as a scapegoat.

Fordel77 t1_j3d716n wrote

They are higher in Massachusetts now. Please be happy we are no longer National Grid. Rates doubled in Massachusetts, still cheaper in Rhode Island.

A_Ghost___Probably OP t1_j3dmt1q wrote

I know their supply rate has gone up and I can see the delivery has too but from what I can see RIEnergy rates appear higher. Im curious what the historical delivery rates have been and why the dramatic increase.

marshal1257 t1_j3hu0ax wrote

And Connecticut is even higher. Connecticut has the second highest rates in the nation. I live less than 2 miles from the RI border. My friend lives just over the line in Gloucester, RI, his house is older than mine and about 700 sf larger than my house. Both homes are equipped with fairly new heating units. He pays about $100 less a month than I do. So, I get it, utility rates are up everywhere, but you’re neighbors have it way worse.

Null_Error7 t1_j3hdayx wrote

Seems like they’re pushing for everyone to go electric w/ solar. Thoughts?

A_Ghost___Probably OP t1_j3hsm3s wrote

Idk about pushing but certainly making it more appealing. I understand why the supply rates have increased but I specifically don't see why these utility companies have also jacked up their delivery rates in turn.

Guilty_Ad366 t1_j3dl4ol wrote

My bill has been consistent through each twelve month period for years with National Grid. I understand RI is going to see increases now that there is a different company providing our electricity.

[deleted] t1_j3row36 wrote

Aren’t monopolies awesome?

[deleted] t1_j3f7b8f wrote

This is what happens when we elect a potus who literally said our energy bills would increase if he was elected you got what you voted for.

Edit Ok In his own words

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Slszva6kk90

https://www.currentargus.com/story/news/local/2020/03/19/joe-biden-vows-ban-oil-and-gas-drilling-if-elected-president/2869963001/

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-admin-quietly-admits-canceling-193934610.html

−23

azknight t1_j3h7tb7 wrote

Ah, a link to a Trump campaign press release, the most unbiased of all sources.

azknight t1_j3hjilp wrote

Oh good, Fox News and a 15 second clip from “GOP War Room”. Got any Matt Walsh tweets to help solidify your airtight argument?

[deleted] t1_j3ihv1y wrote

I guess you like paying high energy bills.

[deleted] t1_j3hkorm wrote

The WH released a report quietly last Friday proving the keystone pipeline cost 60k jobs and billions worth of oil that could have been added to the world market.

Biden is inhibiting production of energy.! He said in many many campaigns speech’s this is what you got. Voting has consequences,’

“The report, which the Department of Energy (DOE) completed in late December without any public announcement, says the Keystone XL project would have created between 16,149 and 59,000 jobs and would have had a positive economic impact of between $3.4-9.6 billion, citing various studies. A previous report from the federal government published in 2014 determined 3,900 direct jobs and 21,050 total jobs would be created during construction which was expected to take two years

Keystone XL had been slated to be completed early this year and transport an additional 830,000 barrels of crude oil from Canada to the U.S. through an existing pipeline network, according to its operator, TC Energy.”

You can down vote the truth it won’t change the fact that the administration admits the loss of potentially 853.000 barrels of oil. That we need this man is doing it on purpose so good luck with massive energy bills Biden doesn’t care if the poor freeze do you?

−4