Submitted by Status_Silver_5114 t3_10atkx8 in RhodeIsland

Anyone in RI converted a gas stove location in their kitchen to induction? Am curious about capping the gas line (which I assume one must do) and having to involve inspectors like we did when we got our solar panels? Or does the installation just happen like any other stove install? The IRA tax deduction looks inviting! And we’d love to start dumping gas as much as possible.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

A_Ghost___Probably t1_j464yur wrote

You need an appropriate power outlet behind the stove, need an electrician for that. If youre shutting off gas to your house call the gas company. You can also google this question and find lots of tutorials on how to seal the stoves old gas line.

Status_Silver_5114 OP t1_j465kwq wrote

Yeah we’re not ready to shut gas off entirely - still radiator dependent but would def go induction stove if possible as the first step! Thx!

fishythepete t1_j468zsl wrote

I’ll just say induction is the absolute shit. I miss gas for a couple specific things (Chapati aren’t the same when they haven’t been puffed over an open flame) but for people who actually cook nothing comes close to induction.

GotenRocko t1_j46l55z wrote

You can't use the normal outlet that is probably currently behind the gas stove, you would need a direct line from the panel with 220v and a dedicated 40-50amp breaker for induction. However, if you have a duel fuel range currently, gas stovetop with electric oven, then you wouldn't have to do anything since that electric line is already there, just shut off the gas valve and plug in the new induction range.

UncleJimmee t1_j467gt7 wrote

Id suggest hiring an electrician for the power and gas guy to cap the gas. In case anything goes wrong you've cya w your homeowners insurance.

Status_Silver_5114 OP t1_j467rog wrote

Oh yeah no way I’d DIY that but I’m curious if there’s permitting things or not. I mean in providence permits are a joke anyway but if it’s just hire a guy and you’re off to the races, etc.

degggendorf t1_j46g55v wrote

The licensed professional you hire should coordinate the permits, you can ask to make sure they do.

Status_Silver_5114 OP t1_j46hxuj wrote

One would hope but when you go to pull permits on our house predating us, there's basically nothing. And most of our stuff isn't online either, even stuff we know we've pulled. I know city records are a mess (rumors of a "fire" back in the day) but I've also been in negotiations with contractors who are less than enthused to pull a permit - baffling and we don't hire them because isn't permitting included in the price we pay anyway? In Boston you can see permits going back decades so it's always weird to me that permitting seems "optional" around here. I'm assuming that state would have to inspect like the state had to inspect our solar system but maybe it's just a permit.

degggendorf t1_j46kqcc wrote

The permit is basically your application to get inspected. You're right, plenty of people skip them.

talazia t1_j46ez2h wrote

i have always had an odd fear and dislike of gas stoves and when we rehabbed this old house we capped the gas lines and put in electric -- our construction team did it, but we had to tell National Grid at the time.

Two years later we had to call them because there was a leak on our street. If we had kept them we would have had to replace all the lines to our house.