Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Sloozey t1_j8je1vb wrote

It’s not necessarily always about eating less, it can simply mean eating healthier

jerkularcirc OP t1_j8ji07g wrote

Either way it is always about a caloric deficit. Theres no way around that.

frannyfranfran5 t1_j8k0zrp wrote

Cardio and strength training can drastically increase your caloric requirement.

My bf always says that the #1 reason he works out so much is so that he can eat as much as he wants.

Since we’re on the topic.. cardio is a pretty shit way to lose weight. Its good for your heart, but it doesnt do much for weightloss. What happens is the muscles you use to run/jog/walk/bike/swim will plateau. They only get as big as you need them to be to finish that 3 mile run.

This is why you see people plateau so quickly when they only do cardio. If you’re out of shape, you see immediate weight loss in your first few weeks of jogging. Then it stops. Around the same time you stop feeling sore from the work out. This is because you arent overworking the muscles anymore.

Strength training, on the other hand, requires MUCH more energy. Rebuilding your muscles is intense for your body. And requires a TON of protein and other calories.

So if you want to eat more, start lifting some weights.

boomtown_resident t1_j8ks0gg wrote

Doing cardio for an hour will burn more calories than lifting weights for an hour

Cardio is far superior to lose weight

Having more muscle will allow you to eat more calories. From the top of my head it's 15 calories per pound of muscle

When you walk you are literally carrying your bodyweight

Also running 5 miles and walking 5 miles you burn nearly the same amount of calories. Meaning you can do low intensity exercise and still get results

Lifting weights with low intensity will not get great results for the vast majority of people

You shouldnt just keep cutting calories to lose weight

Tr4c3gaming t1_j8jeolz wrote

In my case it wss quite paradoxically about eating more because my metabolism just got so bad and i had too little protein to even support muscle help burn calories and to tap much into my belly fat.

So i also didnt perform too well in the gym...

I only lost my belly / skinnyfat when i ate more so i could actually support my body burning lots of calories

Then again i was already quite skinny

theOriginalH1GH3R t1_j8jie5h wrote

Funny this is the exact opposite for me. I love working out, and I get to eat like a pig once I a while and it doesn't leave a dent. Honestly if you have an active lifestyle and work out you barely need to ration your food.

JackfruitIll6728 t1_j8jydgv wrote

Exactly. You can eat unhealthy and have zero energy or will to work out. After losing weight working out feels better and easier, you start craving it, it leads to using more and more kcal and what baffles me the most, you really need to start eating more (ok, healthy things, not pizza and beer erryday).

Over 40lbs down already, it's a journey.

theOriginalH1GH3R t1_j8jievo wrote

Funny this is the exact opposite for me. I love working out, and I get to eat like a pig once I a while and it doesn't leave a dent. Honestly if you have an active lifestyle and work out you barely need to ration your food.

Billy_Rage t1_j8li5ko wrote

Not everyone has the metabolic system you have. But to a degree it’s true, most people aren’t active enough to eat the food most do and not have it affect them

Showerthoughts_Mod t1_j8jdsly wrote

This is a friendly reminder to read our rules.

Remember, /r/Showerthoughts is for showerthoughts, not "thoughts had in the shower!"

(For an explanation of what a "showerthought" is, please read this page.)

Rule-breaking posts may result in bans.