Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

thebigbioss t1_j7208a8 wrote

Of course, kids prefer better food.

Also wouldn't consider this article uplifting as it is just highlighting the disparity between rich school districts and poor school districts.

Evignity t1_j7586rs wrote

As a Swede I can just say that selling out both our schools, prisons, military and elderly food to Sodexho was a fucking warcrime. Fuck that company and their shitty soggy tasteless spagetthi.

It was almost never the people making the foods fault. When I was on the weekend K9-watch and it was just like 50 people on base the foodstaff, with the same budget as usual days, made godamn oven parfait and delicious meatloaf. It's just that they're given shitty kits to produce way too much food way too fast and the end product is bad overall food.

In college we ate out more often than we ate in school, and it cost like 11$ per eating but we still rather did that than eat Sodexho food.

​

Gods I hate multinational companies

alien_from_Europa t1_j75ynv7 wrote

I just ate at a Sodexo cafe in a hospital. Cold scrambled eggs, $1/slice of bacon, hard croissant and watery coffee, for $14.

Own-Goal t1_j71wo9d wrote

Maybe in private schools, sure. You’re not getting farm-fresh anything at a public school 🙃

bretto2004 t1_j725b6u wrote

"There's very little meat in these gym mats"

groovy604 t1_j73fnsm wrote

Ugh my bones are so brittle... but I've been drinking plenty of Malk??

now with vitamin R!

Belovedbean t1_j72zmtm wrote

Would highly recommend that anyone who has 20 minutes to spare watch Jamie Oliver’s War on Nuggets.

ehalright t1_j73efr0 wrote

Okay that was a really good watch. Thanks for linking it!

RosenButtons t1_j73ewct wrote

I saw that when it aired on network television. I laughed about it for days. 😆

froglover215 t1_j73ghtl wrote

Can't speak for other states but that's not true in California. They require schools to include fresh California produce. I think they offer it to the schools for free or for a discounted price. Plus some school districts focus on actual cooking, though supply issues during Covid messed with that. My husband is a cook for a lower middle class school district in southern California.

IrrawaddyWoman t1_j76z6ki wrote

Plus breakfast and lunch is free for every kid!

froglover215 t1_j79hsqi wrote

Yep, in his district they are! I think the districts need to apply for a waiver to do that, though. They have to have a certain percentage already receiving free lunch in order to qualify. It's awesome though.

IrrawaddyWoman t1_j79k70o wrote

breakfast lunch is free for every public school student in the state of California. They passed a law about a year ago.

Private may be different, but for public it’s free for every kid no matter their financial status. No family needs to apply for anything they just show up and get it.

froglover215 t1_j79nqhl wrote

Oh that's great! Hubby's school district has been this way for years and that's my only point of reference because our kids are grown. But this is great to hear!

Nasaboy1987 t1_j73evwd wrote

My high school had the food come from a contracted company. It was literally a grade below what they served at prisons.

leif777 t1_j72ha80 wrote

I think it's different for different kids. I was really picky, my step kids eat everything and my 9yo eats almost nothing but pasta and rice... and of course, nuggets.

Anchor689 t1_j73akm8 wrote

I think for some of us it's about consistency. For example, fresh fruits can range from mushy to squishy to firm and tart/sour to sweet. Processed foods are the same every time all the time, there aren't bones or bruises to work around, and the taste is much more predictable.

As an adult, the health benefits of fresh foods can help tip the scale in favor of extra prep time to lower the inconsistency for healthier meals and snacks, but when you're a kid you have to rely on a parent/adult to understand and do the prep work (and not harass you about food waste when you leave mushy blueberries on the side of your plate). Processed foods are already consistent, and don't involve prep time by parents who are probably stressed and overworked.

leif777 t1_j73ccl8 wrote

> I think for some of us it's about consistency.

I can very much see this the case for my son.

-Jarvan- t1_j72urm2 wrote

I’ll take the frozen ones.

Mythulhu t1_j76873j wrote

Hols up. You mean to tell me that 'kidd' prefer flavours and texture instead of processed edible product? No wayyyyyy

AutoModerator t1_j71hahz wrote

Reminder: this subreddit is meant to be a place free of excessive cynicism, negativity and bitterness. Toxic attitudes are not welcome here.

All Negative comments will be removed and will possibly result in a ban.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

CauliflowerNervous12 t1_j722ffx wrote

Why not just bring your own food to school?

−3

bretto2004 t1_j725rbz wrote

Our schools had a canteen for chips and popcorn and pizza, but we've never had "school lunches".

I always wondered why ppl just didn't pack their own lunch, especially since school lunches were always complained about (in every movie I've watched, anyways)

ExactPanda t1_j729h6z wrote

In the US, at least, school might be the only time they're getting meals. Many children qualify for free breakfasts and lunch. Food is expensive. Mom or dad might be working multiple jobs to stay afloat and don't have time to cook, or might not know how. They might live in a food desert without access to a real grocery store, and all that's around is a convenience store or gas station.

bretto2004 t1_j72bpbf wrote

>food desert

This is the one thing i have to tell myself that not everybody has.

FriscoeHotsauce t1_j72j6tj wrote

Packing your own lunch is expensive. School lunch when I was growing up was ~$1.50. It wasn't good, but a lot of kids / families relied on those inexpensive meals. It was also one of the reasons my family went to church youth nights on Wednesdays, the meals were like $2 a person and didn't require the time to make them.

RosenButtons t1_j73f1xd wrote

Yeah. Even the full-price lunch was super inexpensive because it was subsidized.