Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

T00luser t1_jc8pv8v wrote

Well my toothbrush sits with an electrified shaft up it's end every night.
So . . . lots of happy transportation in the future. Go science!

theskyguardian t1_jcaftbt wrote

I don't see how it will help charge the ferry but I guess I'll try to make myself comfortable

LifeIsARollerCoaster t1_jcb2mmx wrote

TLDR: They have greatly improved the charging capacity through induction by using thinner braided copper wires and silicon carbide to allow far larger transfers of power

mintyfreshismygod t1_jcar3vu wrote

Not owning an electric toothbrush, the article title had me confused - it's talking about wireless charging.

>>Until now, inductive charging - where there’s no contact between the device and conductor - has been unable to deliver the high power that electric vehicle batteries need. The method has only worked for small devices, like electric toothbrushes and some mobile phones.

>>But new components have enabled scientists at a Swedish university to show that the recharging of urban ferries and city buses is possible without human or robotic hands.

>>It’s a vital step for the electrification of our transport systems, says the man who has put the pieces together.

>>“You can have a system built into the wharf that charges the ferry at some stops while passengers get on and off,” explains Professor Liu, professor of electric power engineering at Chalmers University of Technology in Gothenburg.

>>“Automatic and completely independent of weather and wind, charging can take place 30-40 times per day.”

AutoModerator t1_jc8odbm wrote

Reminder: this subreddit is meant to be a place free of excessive cynicism, negativity and bitterness. Toxic attitudes are not welcome here.

All Negative comments will be removed and will possibly result in a ban.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

RedHal t1_jcgpfg5 wrote

From the article: "...with a higher electrical resistance than an insulator, but less than a conductor,..."

Umm, what?