Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ElwoodJD t1_iv3hbir wrote

Need more, not fewer, pedestrian protected and play spaces in general and fewer people thinking they need to shave 3 minutes off their drive.

zackturd301 t1_iv4yjb7 wrote

Nah leave the road alone, issue is using the designated road designed for vehicular movement as a playground. What is beneath the road where this play space is...electric cable, Gas pipes, water and sewer line. What happens when this is comprised? Electric blowup, gas leak on the main, sewer collapse or water burst...children maybe present in this space.

It's needs real highway reconstruction and consideration not just slapping some barriers in and 'claiming' it's a play area outside a school.

−6

rollerska8er t1_ivb1yes wrote

I think drivers should suffer more, actually. Particularly in London, one of the most polluted cities in Europe.

ShutUpAndEatWithMe t1_iv3yh12 wrote

>The contractors returned to finish the job on Wednesday night, with children running out in their pyjamas and raincoats to fend them off.

feels a bit r/OrphanCrushingMachine but at the same time, good for them? The article calls it a "pop-up playground" so it sounds like a makeshift thing the community put together. The police apparently cordon it off from car traffic during school-ish hours and children can play in one of the safer areas of the neighborhood. The kids look like they're in primary school, and I couldn't imagine being 7 and not having had real play time since before the pandemic. I hope they get to keep their area and/or a new area created for them.

Divinate_ME t1_iv5isc4 wrote

fun thing is, children have no lobby, but there's hardly anything that makes you look worse publicly than forcefully disbanding protesting children.

AutoModerator t1_iv2w5cs wrote

Reminder: this subreddit is meant to be a place free of excessive cynicism, negativity and bitterness. Toxic attitudes are not welcome here.

All Negative comments will be removed and will possibly result in a ban.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

rollerska8er t1_ivb1qj3 wrote

Apparently the Mayor of Tower Hamlets is a real nasty piece of work. Good on these kids for taking direct action to help their community.