Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

AmethystOrator OP t1_ivqbugi wrote

The "popular drug" is escitalopram / Lexapro.

jezra t1_ivqldy4 wrote

thank you. I have never heard of that "popular" drug.

scavengecoregalore t1_ivqmjql wrote

It's been around since the early aughts. I was on it, and can confirm that meditation works better. (allow me to be a data point) Edit: also, meditation has far fewer negative side effects

CBD oil is also fantastic, and together they make life feel worth living sometimes!

MizElaneous t1_ivs9eyt wrote

I guess my data point cancels out yours. I've had the opposite experience on this drug. Glad you found something that works!

scavengecoregalore t1_ivsagas wrote

Thanks, stranger! I'm genuinely glad it worked for you! Ideally, everyone should be able to access a solution. And I love being able to have an open discourse about mental health 🤜🤛

CorgiSideEye t1_ivqmlgi wrote

You’ve never heard of Lexapro? Very popular SSRI

jezra t1_ivqmumt wrote

Yes, I've heard of Lexapro. I heard about it from OP's comment. :)

MizElaneous t1_ivs9au7 wrote

I'm on this drug. It basically erased my anxiety. I also meditate regularly - my anxiety did not change and sometimes got worse because I would just dissociate. I guess I'm the outlier.

Prinzka t1_ivr6n35 wrote

I did a guided meditation course and I can say that doing meditation makes my anxiety worse.

redditloginfail t1_ivrlv38 wrote

I've heard of that happening. Strange how it does that to some people.

Prinzka t1_ivrncxa wrote

I guess it's not entirely surprising.
My anxiety is just me not being able to get out of my head and my mind going in to overdrive.
Meditation is specifically removing the distractions so now it's free to just go mental.

ramonycajal88 t1_ivtno2j wrote

I believe for a lot of people, meditation brings attention to anxious/traumatic thoughts. It's tough to move through that if you don't have the proper guide or tools. For these people, it could be more helpful to focus on more body centered, bottom up approaches that work with bodily sensations, rather than top down that focuses on cognition. Hiking and biking with noise cancelling earphones have been my go to...people don't think of this as meditation, but it's been great for me because the physical exertion prevents me from dissociating off into mental spirals.

Probably the same reason why talk therapy is not as effective for people diagnosed with ADHD. They need more body centered approaches.

Ur_Perfect_Sub t1_ivsye3s wrote

I've had similar experiences. Any guided meditation that focuses on how your body feels in the moment was absolutely terrible for me. It just helped me zone in on the physical manifestations of my anxiety, which then just started a lovely spiral.

iii_o_iii t1_ivt8gir wrote

Same here. Meditation and CBT particularly made issues way worse for me.

WashingtonFierce t1_ivqx3s4 wrote

Meditation does sound nice. Unfortunately my brain is like a busted radio playing multiple stations at once, and the on/off button's fallen off

MoreGuitarPlease t1_ivr7cz1 wrote

It used to be like that for me, and sometimes it still is. I first started practicing meditation about 30 years ago and did it for a few months. Maybe 5 years ago I added it back and even if it’s 5 minutes a day, I do it. Once a week or so, I’m able to get a nice long one in.

I do it at the same time of the morning every day. Sometimes my mind races, sometimes I’m calm. Sometimes answers come to me, sometimes I am in a dreamlike daze. Sometimes i feel a so amazing, sometimes I’m very frustrated and worn out.

Our brains are complicated things that have to process a lot more every day. There are a lot of stressors out there. But keep going. That’s all part of it. Over months and years, you will gain more calm and less inner anxiety. Spending that time with yourself will let you know what is important to you and what isn’t.

I hope you give it another shot, It’s worth it.

BalbaCZAR t1_ivr29k4 wrote

Try a guided meditation video. Just look on YouTube. It will be great for calming your mind!!!

I-goes-to-eleven t1_ivr91lp wrote

That’s because most antidepressants have a very low success rate and most don’t do a thing.

PsychedelicHobbit t1_ivs3j79 wrote

It’s all about mindfulness and being present.

nzdennis t1_ivsbglg wrote

Drugs work and are easier and faster.

T0WERM0NKEY t1_ivthdwc wrote

For who?

What a stupid headline

AutoModerator t1_ivqbnyf wrote

Reminder: this subreddit is meant to be a place free of excessive cynicism, negativity and bitterness. Toxic attitudes are not welcome here.

All Negative comments will be removed and will possibly result in a ban.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.