Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Castr8orr t1_j182vmt wrote

I could put the trash into a landfill where it's going to stay for millions of years or I could burn it up and get a nice smokey smell in here and let that smoke go into the sky where it turns into stars.

alphahydra t1_j18m03o wrote

Reading the actual article, it looks like it might be waste gases from household rubbish, rather than the rubbish itself. So the methane and stuff that already seeps up out of landfills, capturing that and using it instead of letting it disperse straight into the atmosphere.

That's what it looks like anyway, it's not very clear. I'll try to find the source.

Edit: it's a mix of two things: capturing gases from a steelworks and processing non-recyclable waste into fuel. So yeah, not as green as it sounds, but better than normal jet fuel.

Mayor__Defacto t1_j1af1m4 wrote

I mean, it’s not a new thing. Maybe making it into jet fuel is. But in the US there are hundreds of landfills that capture the gas. DOE calls them “LFG” projects.

https://www.epa.gov/lmop/basic-information-about-landfill-gas

It’s been a policy initiative since at least the 90s, and it’s not just about reducing emissions. It’s a lost opportunity to collect what is essentially renewable energy.

Sentinel122125 t1_j19oxd8 wrote

That doesn't sound right, but I don't know enough about stars to dispute it.

Windyandbreezy t1_j1947sd wrote

So like Back to the Future 2 where Doc just refuels from the garbage can?

zipdakill t1_j19iqu5 wrote

NOOOOOO!!! I WAS GONNA MAKE THAT REFERENCE!!!!

writerfan2013 t1_j1823ob wrote

Wait, wouldn't it be better to not encourage jets? Sorry, otherwise, very good.

__RAINBOWS__ t1_j19ihvx wrote

Biogas is just a lesser of two evils. We still shouldn’t be generating so much methane, and it still releases CO2. Not exactly uplifting.

Mayor__Defacto t1_j1afv31 wrote

Well, this is methane that will be either burned by us, or released into the atmosphere. It’s a byproduct of fermentation in MSW landfills. Burning it is far better for GHG emissions.

FleetOfClairvoyance t1_j1ajzp0 wrote

How is this uplifting?? This sounds like a terrible idea and is going to pollute the atmosphere

AutoModerator t1_j181mr6 wrote

Reminder: this subreddit is meant to be a place free of excessive cynicism, negativity and bitterness. Toxic attitudes are not welcome here.

All Negative comments will be removed and will possibly result in a ban.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.