Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

kolaida t1_j4eozpd wrote

Ohhh, a baby giraffe! How exciting!

MelissaChristianson t1_j4fjdgm wrote

I saw a baby giraffe born at the San Diego Zoo about 2009 or so - most amazing thing I’ve ever seen in my life!! Just incredible the baby was as tall as my husband!!

AutoModerator t1_j4d8u9h wrote

Reminder: this subreddit is meant to be a place free of excessive cynicism, negativity and bitterness. Toxic attitudes are not welcome here.

All Negative comments will be removed and will possibly result in a ban.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

breadthegnar t1_j4h0q4c wrote

Lmao people getting downvoted for pointing out it’s wrong to have wild animals mate to have more animals in captivity. Not to mention most of the time the baby is sold off to another zoo. I have No problem with natural reserves for animals that were abused or couldn’t survive on their own. But even if zoos have made changes in the recent years they have a horrible past of using animals for monetary gain.

−3

citytiger OP t1_j4ld9ka wrote

You do understand this is only existence these animals know? Many zoos are actively engaged it habitat restoration and species preservation. The Omaha Zoo is one of the best in the world for that.

breadthegnar t1_j4lk4j1 wrote

Like I said I have No problem with the animals they already have as long as they have a adequate habitat. I mean how long did it take zoos to realize that elephants need room to roam? There is no need to breed while in captivity other than to make money. And I hope I’m wrong on this one but they usually sell the baby to another zoo. I’ll never see a baby being born in captivity as uplifting news.

elliebellrox t1_j4rhdif wrote

they breed to keep the species alive and from going extinct

breadthegnar t1_j4rs0lk wrote

And what good does that do if they have to spend their lives in captivity? I doesn’t help wild animals by breeding them in captivity. Unless you are releasing them back into the wild. And they are not doing that.

elliebellrox t1_j4stpsf wrote

Preservation activities does try and reintroduce species wherever possible actually

ProfessorEcstatic267 t1_j4dgooj wrote

A wild animal born in captivity so you can show your drooling kids isn't uplifting, it's horrible.

−52

citytiger OP t1_j4dqyzv wrote

are you aware these animals would not know how to survive in the wild? Plus the Omaha zoo is considered one of the best in US.

The zoo says this birth is an indication the Species Survival Plan is working.

petershrimp t1_j4dvrzn wrote

I've heard the Omaha Zoo is supposed to be the best zoo on the planet.

citytiger OP t1_j4dw1nt wrote

I haven't heard that. I want to visit it someday.

Lyrikan t1_j4e59uo wrote

I grew up in Omaha and visited it often. Definitely plan an entire day from sun up to sun down it's so massive in scale.

petershrimp t1_j4dyr3g wrote

Me too. I'm about to move to Kansas City, which is about a 3 hour drive from there, so I plan to visit at least once every year or two.

taescience t1_j4hgjy4 wrote

It's frequently ranked in the top 3.

Edit: like everything, it matters who's doing the ranking

petershrimp t1_j4dvmdm wrote

"Hurr durr zoos bad, upvotes to the left"

Go back to PETA.

ProfessorEcstatic267 t1_j4dw3ul wrote

So zoo's are good, your saying? Good argument. Well thought out. Buy your kids a balloon and wipe the drool off their faces.

−17

citytiger OP t1_j4dyzgt wrote

Are you are aware many zoos are actively involved in conservation and plans to help endangered species? Zoo's aren't just for entertainment.

Certain_Chain t1_j4dx7mm wrote

It IS a good argument. When's the last time you even went to a zoo? They do a fantastic job of caring for the well-being of their animals; this isn't the fucking Bronx Zoo from the 1930s. They don't just stick a gorilla in an 8×10 cell with a tire swing anymore; they take very good care to provide realistic replicas of their natural habitats complete with various items for enrichment.

izzo34 t1_j4eoz2u wrote

For fucks sake. Don't you remember the rule? Never go full R

ProfessorEcstatic267 t1_j4dz144 wrote

Not being free is being imprisoned. Easy to do when the animal can't directly tell you how much it sucks. You know, but justify anyway. I don't go to zoo's. I'd rather visit the prison system

−12

Certain_Chain t1_j4ed7h8 wrote

gif

They. Are. Animals. They don't value freedom like humans do, and they don't miss the wild because a vast majority of them have never BEEN to the wild. Almost all animals in zoos today were born there; it's the only existence they know. Maybe if you actually did go to zoos, you'd realize that they're not suffering.