Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

hikingdub t1_jc4kbml wrote

I'm doing my part!

KevyKev223 t1_jc5in89 wrote

Stop urine drug screens for THC! Then I could switch from alcohol too.

Gekokapowco t1_jc5uirm wrote

I can understand requirements not to show up to work drunk or high, but in your free time? If you're dictating my sobriety outside of the office, I'm still on the clock as far as I'm concerned.

fishypants t1_jc5o0cs wrote

Yeah, it’s silly. Enjoy an edible on a 10 day vacation in Mexico and then lose your job a month later because you fail a piss test. Something kinda messed up about that…

Snushine t1_jc5pvkj wrote

Your employer has the power to overlook the THC panel on the drug screen...if they wish. Unless, of course, you work in the transportation industry, in which case, you're chances are super slim to none.

KevyKev223 t1_jc6ovxe wrote

Crane operator, they always want a reason to blame the operator. It’s part of having certifications. Which is why most drink heavily daily. As long as you get 8 hrs of sleep most people are ok the next morning.

Snushine t1_jc71c2h wrote

Uhg. But thanks for staying "safe" for the rest of us.

wwJones t1_jc5c3ha wrote

Pay the teachers.

Generalbuttnaked69 t1_jc6y7zb wrote

We pay teachers pretty well in Washington post Cleary. I know a couple around the ten year mark that are making around 115k.

wwJones t1_jc7u9ky wrote

Why are WA State school districts proposing layoffs and budget cuts?

Gz-Nutz- t1_jc67xjb wrote

It pays for healthcare. Large reason why Washington state has “universal healthcare”

−15

Allisonosaurus t1_jc74wc8 wrote

My $3k hospital bill disagrees with this statement.

It pays for state medicaid, if you're not dirt poor you don't get shit.

IamYouamI123 t1_jc4nvlo wrote

Be nice to help the people making all the fucking money. Budtenders were essential workers the whole pandemic, didn’t get dick from Washington State for it. Everyone in the cannabis industry is treated like a second class citizen here. Fucking bullshit.

Bigbluebananas t1_jc53k9b wrote

Idk what stores you shop at, but the one i go to has big bruiser type security and doormen, the budtenders simply call to them if a customer is being rude and they boot them immediately. They dont tolerate being shit on

lurkerfromstoneage t1_jc65enr wrote

Lol there’s a dispensary company owner who has a massive yacht (the brand name is huge letters and logo on the stern) on Lake WA near one of the marinas in a multi million dollar mansion right on the water so I’ll skip the sympathy for them…

Gz-Nutz- t1_jc680lv wrote

Money isn’t from the cannabis industry tho. It’s tech money that bought cannabis

PepeLePuget t1_jc4q896 wrote

What's the ratio between the amount of cannabis and liquor sold?

TekkDub t1_jc4svpr wrote

One oz equals 750ml of booze

PepeLePuget t1_jc4z2zz wrote

I mean, on what sales volume did cannabis reap 2x liquor's tax revenue? It wasn't 2x as much cannabis was it, because they're taxed at different rates and I highly doubt cannabis outsold liquor. If liquor outsold cannabis 2:1 and made just half the tax revenue, wouldn't that suggest that pot users are paying too much? Particularly if alcohol is correlated with greater health and social impacts. I'm sure the figures already exist I just don't know where to look.

etcpt t1_jc5a6ua wrote

That's a good question. I'm not sure where to find the sales figures either. But the excise tax on cannabis products is 37%, while the spirits sales tax is 20.5%. However, there is also a spirits liter tax of $3.7708 per liter, which means that the effective tax rate is inversely proportional to the price per liter.

herbnoh t1_jc6cyxl wrote

Beer and wine are not included if that’s what you think is throwing it off, they are taxed differently/ independently.

Snushine t1_jc5pnqv wrote

I'll guess, because this is government work, they just did a dollar-for-dollar comparison, not a item-by-item, or by the pound or ounce or anything like that.

My guess is the measurement is the buck.

Gz-Nutz- t1_jc67sma wrote

Yea cannabis is paying more per taxable unit. Our rate is 37% plus local sales tax average of like $.086 or close total state tax of 45+%. The alcohol tax is 29% + sales tax for a total of 37%. Cannabis taxes at the state level are 8+% more than alcohol also cannabis is taxed at federal maximum of I believe 37% of gross income minus cost of goods sold. Cannabis taxes are above 82% of the total retail gross cost in Washington state.

Donkyrapingshiteatr t1_jc5cvqb wrote

What does the money go to?

holiday650 t1_jc5dtuh wrote

There's a breakdown of it on the state website:

-General Fund – $157 million -Basic Health – $264 million -Local Governments – $20 million -Washington State Health Care Authority – $53 million -Department of Health – $9 million -Washington State Patrol – $2.2 million -Washington Liquor and Cannabis Board – $11.8 Other – $1.5 million

Source:https://www.tre.wa.gov/portfolio-item/washington-state-marijuana-revenues-and-health/

Edit: sorry for ugly formatting! On mobile!

Eskimoobob t1_jc6toum wrote

Local governments are like: "No legal marijua...hol' up how much in taxes?

Welcome to our 5th new cannabis shop!"

entropic_apotheosis t1_jc5sz3q wrote

This was the sole reason state workers didn’t have to have furlough days beyond august of 2020 or something like that. The budget deficit was made up with alcohol and marijuana sales. I wish it could have done something for the housing crisis and inflation too.

Thosetowhoevilisdone t1_jc67z1x wrote

The only legal state where it is still a felony to grow your own plants....State sponsored monopoly that forces us to buy stale, dry, overpriced garbage.

sharedisaster t1_jc7rkvi wrote

Really? I thought WA state allowed private consumption of a certain amount of plants.

Edit: I was wrong. Crazy. But there is a bill coming up that looks to pass this.

Thosetowhoevilisdone t1_jc7s5s9 wrote

The bill is already dead this legislative session, home grow in WA state is still a felony and will be for at least the next 3 years.

intrepidated t1_jc4sx96 wrote

Great, now let's talk about reducing the insane liquor tax

fishypants t1_jc5nxmv wrote

It’s wild how expensive alcohol is here now. I miss state run liquor stores and being able to get whiskey at MSRP. Always stock up when I’m in Oregon.

Nightstorm_NoS t1_jc5qvif wrote

And yet they keep upping property tax….

iJeffwuh t1_jc5s7py wrote

That has nothing to do with anything. Purchase tax and property tax have nothing in common.

Just be glad we don’t have state income tax.

−2

Collie_Mom t1_jc62ne0 wrote

Nice, Now let's be transparent as to WHERE ALL THAT MONEY IS! It's Not in our infrastructure or our public schools.

Shisty t1_jc6k4xm wrote

The LCB is doing everything they can to strangle the industry. Expect that number to go down next year as black market sales begin to make a big return.

Fast_Phase888 t1_jc7280r wrote

Anyone ever down to smoke? College has been stressful these last weeks.

WorldlyString t1_jcdxi3e wrote

The UN yesterday ordered the US to enforce federal laws, and Biden promised to respect and follow UN treaties that we signed, so we might make this illegal if Biden keeps his promise.

OceanPoet87 t1_jco4a8g wrote

I'm not into weed but our state has made a lot of money off of it. Hopefully Idaho keeps sending their money across the border.

b-reactor t1_jcw2zo3 wrote

incredible the amount of revenue mj is generating, other states should take note

zer04ll t1_jc75hfq wrote

where is the money for funding, and its gone...

−2

The_bookworm65 t1_jc5zl19 wrote

Can we use some of that money to home some of the homeless people?

−3

Gz-Nutz- t1_jc682pz wrote

Pays for their healthcare and the police ironically