Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

E36E92M3 t1_ir2nnil wrote

It's a rough drive but seriously what do these people expect when they take a damn prius down these forest roads?

Area29 t1_ir34rur wrote

Pilchuck is one of the worst forest service roads that I have been on in the past 5 years. The roads in walker valley are way better, and thats an offroad park!

iamlucky13 t1_ir7m3ta wrote

I've taken my Civic up a lot of forest roads in the area, and that would be similar to a Prius. Since my wife got an Outback, we usually take that instead, but out of convenience, rather than necessity.

I have not tried the road to the Pilchuck trailhead. There are only two forest roads we've done in the Outback bad enough that I might consider turning back if I tried them in my Civic: the roads to Ashland Lakes (FS 4020) and the road to Evergreen Mountain Lookout (FS 6550).

I actually think I could do both in a Civic. It would just be slow going to pick lines around and through all the giant holes and erosion ruts.

renownbrewer t1_ir3xq63 wrote

> It's a rough drive but seriously what do these people expect when they take a damn prius down these forest roads?

We went al over the Cascades when I was a kid in a Datsun 210, a Prius might be more capable. We hiked through an lot of clearcuts, perhaps the logging roads were being more actively maintained in the '80s.

vast1983 t1_ir5ht3p wrote

They were. Public parks and forestry services used to receive a much larger portion of taxes and federal money. 40 years of tax allocation to new programs have resulted in less going to things like maintenance forest service roads, and regular roads, for that matter.

PiningForTheFnords t1_irbljgr wrote

> Prius

Better torn to shreds on poorly maintained forest roads instead of in its natural habitat: camping in the left lane of I5 going 20 mph below the limit.

Unless they’ve fixed it up since early summer, the road to the Goat Lake trailhead was also very bad with bits of broken car parts littering the ditches.

twardnw t1_ir3b8ub wrote

I love roads like that, means less people at the trailhead 😁

watson1987 t1_ir3zwc2 wrote

I agree with you but Phelps Creek Trailhead is just as bad, maybe worse, and there is always a huge line of cars there.