Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Pyronar t1_iwwcuft wrote

I don’t know why the stars chose me. At night, I go onto my balcony and watch the city lights fade away as they shine brighter than ever. In my dreams, they change patterns and dance in complicated orbits governed by consistent yet incalculable laws. During the day, I hear their static whispers breaking through the curtain of light. The only problem is: I don’t know what they’re saying.

Another night at Rick’s house, another glass of cheap box wine, another conversation I have to maintain while the buzzing continues at the back of my mind. Amanda turns to me with a drunken smile on her face. It’s only now I notice everyone else is passed out.

“Cheer up, girl,” she slurs out. “You’re not at a funeral.”

“I’ve just been under a lot of stress lately,” I say out of habit.

“That’s not the whole story,” she whispers. “Tell me.”

When did she get so close?

“Yeah… I… Look, I… It would be easier to show you.”

I get up. The vertigo tries to punch me down. Amanda only giggles as I stumble towards Rick’s balcony. The light bite of early frost sobers me up. The view from nine storeys up, the wind, the lights, it all looks…

“Wow,” Amanda whispers behind me. “It’s beautiful.”

“Yeah, it is.”

I wait. Amanda is less patient.

“So, what’s your plan, Liz? It’s a romantic view if that’s what you were going for.”

“Just watch.”

She pouts. One by one, the city lights dim. Darkness rolls in. And then they appear. I look over at Amanda and see the joy and awe on her face. Stars reflect in her eyes. They illuminate us both, like stage lights accentuating the main characters of the scene. Buzzing, static, noise, whispers. I lose myself in the stars. Amanda’s lips begin to move.

“Make us one. Give us more. We are dancing day and night towards you. We are coming. Bring us more. Make us one.”

The static reaches a crescendo. They shine so blindingly bright. Amanda’s feet rise above the floor of the balcony and keep drifting up. I can hear what they’re saying now, in my bones, in my guts, resonating with Amanda’s voice. Everything is a blur. It feels like the building itself is about to find its resonance frequency and break apart in one violent moment, floating upwards as a pile of rubble. And then it all goes black.

Rick finds me on the couch the next day. Everyone thinks I just had too much to drink like the rest of them. Amanda is nowhere to be seen. I already know they won’t find her. I make an excuse and leave.

I know what the stars are saying now. I can hear it every day in Amanda’s voice. I still don’t know why they chose me, but I know what I’m chosen for. I sleep with my blinds closed. I don’t leave my house after sundown anymore. I avoid other people, anyone else I might… give to them. Rick thinks it’s because of Amanda. I guess he’s right. The only problem is: the stars are getting louder.

We are coming. Make us one.

ALuckyMushroom OP t1_iwwl5e5 wrote

What a nice, peaceful, contemplative and even a bit romantic story ! Thank you very much for answering my prompt.

zombi3gore t1_iwxi8ol wrote

I don’t know why the stars chose me, but I truly wish they hadn’t. Do you know how old the stars are? Do you know the things they’ve seen? Dynasties of the galaxy rise and fall. Time bending in on itself over and over, yet the stars stayed the same. Ever loyal and never changing. I do not know why they chose me to spread their knowledge but they chose me all the same.

I did feel special knowing what the stars knew. What the stars sensed. When I was alive it make me feel like I was on top of, well the universe. I knew everything and it seemed to be priceless. I was a history professor in life and a very successful one. How could I not? I held in my mind all the knowledge of the stars. Of course when they chose me I was mad for a few years. Seeing visions of time itself would drive anyone insane, especially when it’s in order. I remember like it was yesterday, I was twenty when the visions first started. At first it was just in dreams, flashes of what has already happened. It slowly evolved into what I had called “attacks” flashes of the past so intense I thought I was actually there. At first I even checked myself into a ward genuinely concerned. Once I started to realize what was going on I worked to get out, needing to get out. Eventually the stars actually told me what they wanted me to do with the knowledge they gave me and that’s where my profession came around. Teach. Set the record straight and keep it straight as long as I was alive. I did too, I did what the stars asked, mainly out of fear of their wrath. I felt a lot of what the stars felt, if I wasn’t doing what they wanted I could feel their rage. It was all I felt in the ward, not doing what I was supposed to in their eyes. When I did what the stars wanted me to, they where pleased with me.

None of that matters now. I don’t know how long it’s been since I was a teacher. Now I float, watching the universe around me pass by. Watching time fold in on itself. Never changing ever loyal. For my knowledge, my teachings, my fame, the stars gifted me one more thing when I passed. A place among them, recording and searching for the next teacher. The next one to give truth to their peers. I pray for whoever we choose. I would not wish this knowledge on my worst enemy.

ALuckyMushroom OP t1_iwxivfm wrote

So, the stars are literally our ancestors? I really this twist on this euphemism about death actually being the truth. And I also love that he has a direct link to the stars, that he can feel with them. Even though, poor lad at the beginning!

Thanks for answering my prompt

zombi3gore t1_iwxjrwm wrote

Thanks for writing it! It’s my first prompt and it was fun to write. I wasn’t thinking ancestors I was thinking actual stars but 10/10 like the way you see it better lol

ALuckyMushroom OP t1_iwxkpy2 wrote

Your welcome. And welcome to this amazing community that is r/wrotingprompts by the way !

Also, I definitely think your interpretation of the star is far better. Pure beings of power is just really cool ! But thanks.

ShortStoryAttempted t1_iwydfqf wrote

I don't know why the stars chose me. Why they continue to choose me. I move from city to city working the first jobs I can find. I'll take any job as long as it gets me away from them, though they always find me in the end.

Alaskan Slope? I worked facility maintenance there.

Oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico? I was a cook there.

Middle of the desert in Arizona? I poured concrete in the heat.

I even drove semi trucks across the rust belt for a few years, never having a base at all until they figured it out.

It all started in LA. I was on vacation when I was examining the TLC Chinese Theatre. I was absorbed by the geometric lines of the building. Hell, I didn't even notice the person standing next to me at first.

"Not quite like the other buildings around here, huh?" A melodic voice drew my attention. A pretty blonde stood next to me.

"No kidding. Nothing like it in my town in Ohio either!"

She laughed. "I'm Jennifer."

"Terrance. Pleasure."

We talked for a moment, and then another person arrived. "Downey! Go away! He's mine!" she shouted at him. This drew the attention of other people there, and several walked towards us. Then it hit me.

JENNIFER Lawrence

Robert DOWNEY Jr.

I looked around and realized I'm in a mob of the stars of LA, and they seemed to be fighting. OVER ME. I panicked and bolted. They chased me, and at that, I realized the truth. THE STARS CHOSE ME...

ALuckyMushroom OP t1_iwyxmn8 wrote

Yandere celebrities ! Haha ! Love the concept, nice twist ! Thanks

AutoModerator t1_iww2yg6 wrote

Welcome to the Prompt! All top-level comments must be a story or poem. Reply here for other comments.

Reminders:

>* Stories at least 100 words. Poems, 30 but include "[Poem]" >* Responses don't have to fulfill every detail >* See Reality Fiction and Simple Prompts for stricter titles >* Be civil in any feedback and follow the rules

🆕 New Here? ✏ Writing Help? 📢 News 💬 Discord

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.