Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Additional_Broccoli t1_j5o9np7 wrote

This one kinda ran away from me a little bit! Took an interesting direction but I'm kinda happy with the theme, even if the ending is pretty bitter sweet.

______

"Infinite wishes?" The genie laughs out loud one more time "what, you're not smart enough to use 3 wishes?" wiping its tears from laughing you get more and more frustrated every time, as you try to find a loophole it just laugh out loud even more while mocking and gaslighting you just like this.

"I know what you genies are like!" You tell it while trying to stop too much of your frustration from leaking through.

The genie stopped laughing and looked at you, confused. So you continue your rant.

"Always trying to find a wish loophole to screw us, humans, over because you don't actually want to help us! If we wish for unlimited money, you make us turn everything we touch into gold, including our loved ones! If we want a car, you give us some three-wheeled monstrosity that kills us the second we go around one corner!"

Covering your face with your hand for a moment while you calm down. The genie looks at you quietly, then says, "What do you want to wish for?" You sigh and grind your teeth.

Thinking for a moment, you sigh. There's no way to get a good wish without being extremely specific, and you'd need to think about each wish for at least a year to ensure you don't get screwed over. Sure, your family could really use a new house, but why ask when you'll probably be given a tiny house conveniently parked on top of an active volcano or something equally dumb?

"What do you think I should wish for?" You ask the genie out of curiosity.

The genie frowns. It leans over you and stares hard into your eyes. You can feel it searching your soul for an answer. The genie knows that humans often think they need a lot of things, but in reality, they really don't need much. As long as a human is fed, watered, sheltered, warm and loved by someone, that's all they need.

Eventually, the genie speaks, "Your family loves you despite the hard life you all have, you want it to be better, but you have food, water, warmth and shelter. They don't need more, but many humans are greedy and always want more." The genie leans back and continues, "go home, speak with your family and see what they think they need before making a decision".

You agree it sounds like good advice, and the genie has given you a lot to think about. It promises to find you tonight. So, you go back home and ponder the question a bit more.

Walking in through the barely functioning back door, your two youngest children rush up to you, screaming, "DADDY'S HOME!" and notice one of them doesn't even have pants on. The eldest comes rushing in after, holding the pants. The kid is potty trained, not trouser trained. Clearly, he'd been trying to convince his little brother to put his trousers back on again.

You laugh at the sight and sweep them all up in a big hug. They mean everything to you, and since your wife died a few years ago, it's just been the four of you. There's nothing you wouldn't do for them.

Taking the time to speak with your eldest about what he thinks the family needs, you learn that he feels that his brothers need somewhere safe to grow up. The area you live in is getting rougher, and he's worried that gangs might try to drag them into criminal activity as they get older. You talk about the food situation, too, and he admits that he wants to get a part-time job to buy more food each week since he knows you skip meals sometimes to feed the kids.

With a lot on your mind, you talk to the young twins as well. They don't really understand what you're asking about, but they get excited at the prospect of living somewhere with lots of nature and a garden to play in.

Later that night, you tuck the twins into bed and usher your eldest away from the chores he always insists on doing. Sitting down on your old chair, you think about what's best for your family and get lost in thought.

The return of the genie makes you jump.

"What are your three wishes?" asks the genie.

Your previous efforts didn't seem to work well with this genie, so you figure a different approach is needed. Opening thinking out loud, you say, "I need somewhere my family will feel happy, grow up safe, and where there's enough food for all of us... I'm not sure how to turn that into a wish".

The genie nods its' head and tells you, "I can give you what you all need".

You weren't sure what to expect when the genie left. Nothing felt different. Not at first.

A few days later, an old friend from high school sent you an email asking to meet up to discuss something with you. Figuring, why not? You went to meet him. He told you all about this amazing piece of land that he and some others were investing in. It was wild and needed a lot of work. They needed a lot of help to turn it into an amazing self-sufficient community. He quickly squashes your concerns about the kids' education since there was a super good school in the local down, and some of the others had kids attending there already!

Your friend explains that they had been working on it for about a year already, so they had some basic essentials sorted already. He admits that your name popped into his head a few days ago when they were thinking about who else to invite to join their community and help expand it.

When you tell the kids about the opportunity, they're thrilled! It seems to happen so fast. The shitty apartment and car sell within 24 hours, and your friend helps pack up the few items you want to keep. One day you were driving to the place, and the next, you were being hugged by your new extended family and moved into a huge tiny house. Despite the size, you all had the space you needed, and your oldest was promised his own house once he got old enough!

In the end, the genie was right. This was exactly what you and your family needed.

Community from your nice new neighbours and the local town. A safe house to finally call your own. A nice wood-burning stove in your house and community fire pits. Clean drinking water, with hot showers and even a free swimming pool! There was so much food you didn't even know what to do with it all until someone finally taught you how to preserve things for the winter.

​

You just wish your wife was there to see it all.

veritasmahwa OP t1_j5obvmy wrote

I was thinking something like "the genie gaslight people who use the 3wish so they don't try to use it against the heart of the question" but this one is good too.

moodFr t1_j5r90wi wrote

(boring and wholesome tw)

"Infinite wishes?" The genie laugh out loud one more time "what, you're not smart enough to use 3 wishes?" wiping its tears from laugh you get more and more frustrated every time, as you try to find a loophole it just laugh out loud even more while mocking and gaslighting you just like this.

You yell in frustration and the genie echoes the sound mockingly. Finally, they calm their laughter and disappear back into the pot waiting for you to make your three wishes. You've never been a decisive person and three wishes that could change your life would take you at least years to decide on, which, the genie would not appreciate. In all honesty, you don't need much and all you want is to let the genie go. So you finally decide. Rubbing on the genie's lamp, you beckon the genie out.

"I use my wishes for you to be set free and to never need to grant a wish to another again, in the case it lands in the hands of the evil". You say. The genie stares at you in shock.

You're smart enough not to wish for anything as you've heard the old folks tales, and this being your wish doesn't sound all that bad for you or anyone else. The genie finally nods, and you and him part ways. Every year on this night, you coincidently have better luck and things go your way. All the small things, but you can't help feeling as if the genie is looking out for you. You live a happy life and die happy with your loved ones, knowing you helped someone out there. :)

donaldhobson t1_j5rpnjz wrote

You say nothing. You had considered other possibilities. You had considered " I wish for everything I would wish for if I had unlimited wishes time and wisdom". You had considered "I wish for the best possible thing to happen". But overall, you decided that wishing for unlimited wishes was the safest, most controlled way to bootstrap yourself to the sort of world you want. You hold your carefully chosen list of wishes and wait, ignoring the genie. Then, flipping to page 83, you read off the next wish.

"I wish that you don't attempt to manipulate me, impart false beliefs into my mind or psychologically attack me"

AutoModerator t1_j5nwmr8 wrote

Welcome to the Prompt! All top-level comments must be a story or poem. Reply here for other comments.

Reminders:

>* Stories at least 100 words. Poems, 30 but include "[Poem]" >* Responses don't have to fulfill every detail >* See Reality Fiction and Simple Prompts for stricter titles >* Be civil in any feedback and follow the rules

🆕 New Here? ✏ Writing Help? 📢 News 💬 Discord

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

TypicalPunUser t1_j5rwo31 wrote

"Hey wanna see what a dead genie looks like!? Oh. Wait. YOU WONT"

Jray609 t1_j6bc93i wrote

Can't wish for more wishes? Just wish for more genies!