Submitted by my-hero-macadamia t3_z5xker in baltimore

Stolen from r/Oakland which was stolen from r/Denver

Federal hill at sunset overlooking the harbor is a pretty good place to let loose.

On Halloween one year I got really high and sobbed in the planetarium of the Science Center. It was pretty great.

Can’t beat Edgar Allen Poe’s grave site though.

Looking for some new spots, suggestions?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

JustACharacterr t1_ixyrvdd wrote

walks up Fed Hill at sunset for a pretty view

sees half-a-dozen people sobbing at the top

quietly leaves

The_Waxies_Dargle t1_ixyomm4 wrote

How about the Moorish tower overlooking the city in Druid Hill Park.

neutronicus t1_ixypp8o wrote

Ha, I recommended the little pavilion across the Lake

Latrobe Pavilion it’s called apparently, according to Google Maps

Cat_Toucher t1_ixzw3bo wrote

Anywhere along the wall overlooking 83 is really nice for those quiet moments

SquirrelSnatcher t1_iy2fgtn wrote

This has been a cry spot since the 1904 Baltimore Fire when many watched the city burn from here.

suppinmajibusu t1_iy09rp1 wrote

A little too public IMO, passers-by on the 83 off ramp can see you.

The_Waxies_Dargle t1_iy0ebuk wrote

Yes, but I have the high ground.

But anyhow, it takes a lot of dexterity to see up the hill, dodge the holes in the road, and avoid the barriers scattered haphazardly around the immediate area. And even if they could see you clear as day, getting up there isn't easy from the off ramp.

Shiny_Deleter t1_ixyk4bo wrote

I’m generally a fan of a good train cry. Not Baltimore exclusive, but the light rail works.

MD_Weedman t1_iy11wv8 wrote

You aren't really crying unless you are standing between two rails.

Mindfulhydration t1_iyafuzk wrote

A less safe but still effective is the late night car cry. The 195 loop around UMBC is very quiet late at night.

absolut696 t1_ixzj1fd wrote

I think the tip of Fort McHenry beats Federal Hill. There is something evocative about watching the giant slow moving barges from whatever port of call they came from and the general industrial tone of it all.

my-hero-macadamia OP t1_ixzk8sg wrote

Oh good one. Not to mention the 300 or so British soldiers that died in that water that can cry with you.

absolut696 t1_iy0ckft wrote

It was also a makeshift hospital for wounded coming back from Europe in WW1. Gnarly place.

umbligado t1_ixyma7y wrote

I don’t really understand this post, but I’ll just randomly suggest the relatively secluded section of Falls Road that runs from Baltimore Bicycle Works in Station North up through the switchback bike path entering the south end of Hampden. Especially the half-circle water fall overlook at the base of the switchback (seems fitting).

The_Waxies_Dargle t1_ixyol44 wrote

I have actually cried multiple times on this very stretch. It was my route home from work, so it stands to reason. But this would have been my suggestion.

neutronicus t1_ixyoxdn wrote

Clicked into this thread to recommend that little observation deck at Round Falls. The deteriorated path down is key to keeping it private enough

In the same general area, I think the little faux-Asian structures with skyline views in Druid Hill Park could work if you go early in the morning. Maybe share your sorrow with some deer

fostest t1_ixyqa2i wrote

BMA sculpture garden

sxswnxnw t1_ixysmg9 wrote

• The center of the staircase in Preston Gardens Park, at the intersection of Saint Paul and Pleasant.
  • The base of the monument of Lafayette, facing the southern end of Charles, in Mount Vernon.
  • Lake Roland dam/pumping station, or that boardwalk between the light rail station and Lake Roland Park.
  • The view of the Baltimore skyline as you drive north on 95, I dunno, starting around the Washington Blvd exit?

instantcoffee69 t1_ixzshbq wrote

I think the most normal location is around 2a outside of a crowded bar because "i don't want to talk about it! Me and my BF are OVER!"

Another nice on is the UA HQ in Locust Point, looking west seeing the sun set behind the skyline.

reese-dewhat t1_iy0zmf5 wrote

Haha, if you do the UA HQ, better go after the fitness center closes, otherwise you'll be sobbing to the beat of some pumped up jams.

WaterWithin t1_ixyvu9t wrote

In Herring Run park's soccer field, there's a large, tall stump if a tree. Great place for a cry with a view

3StacksOnTheRadio t1_ixzchhv wrote

Can confirm. Also my go-to spot. The Herring Run bridge works, too, if you'd rather cry with an audience.

r3rg54 t1_iy4iw0l wrote

The charles st. mount vernon Chipotle

Thuglas82 t1_iy1be0c wrote

I'd say any of the numerous bars would suffice 🤷‍♂️

llaatteennccyy t1_iy1iayk wrote

The mini concrete bridge/dam over the water next Falls Road (after the falls), off the road between Hampden and Maryland Ave.

Not the overlook at the top of the hill; it's through some greenery and right overtop the water.

Also this thread idea is based.

Hisyphus t1_iy2alc6 wrote

University of Baltimore law library. Or University of Maryland law library. Any library works in a pinch though.

Jhiggins34 t1_iy2bayr wrote

Under almost any bridge.

Douseigh t1_iy6f3tv wrote

A package good bar down in the heart of Brooklyn or Curtis bay Or a spot like spirits on wilkens

You’ll have them old raspy voiced ladies telling you everything gonna be ok hon in no time

Jrbobfishman t1_iybbyfw wrote

Not necessary. Plenty of places and ways to bury that shit