Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

fakelitty t1_j5hst6f wrote

I’m starting to think we’ll never get snow again. If we do get a storm this year, I’m giving everyone a dollar that comment on this and think otherwise🤣

aliensharedfish t1_j5iiwve wrote

MD operates on a ~6-8yr cycle of “wintery mix” and “fuck your ‘ergonomic shovel.”

z3mcs t1_j5hyzh2 wrote

Define "storm" 👀. I'm thinking we'll get 5.5 inches on February 19th. Tryina get this dolla dolla bill yaaaalllll

Dr_Midnight t1_j5i0hxb wrote

> I'm thinking we'll get 5.5 inches on February 19th.

Hold up. You ain't Frankie.

z3mcs t1_j5i1qr4 wrote

Dog, you just gone blow my cover like that? And to think I was gonna split the money with you 😒

Sumatradc t1_j5jbqdl wrote

Totally with you on - for some reason, I've always associated President's Day weekend with big snowfalls (if it's a year we get any snow at all).

cornonthekopp t1_j5ia8sj wrote

In a decade every time it dusts snow we'll have a full on meltdown like georgia or texas

Laxwarrior1120 t1_j5kyjkm wrote

The pacific decadal oscillation is the 20 year cycle of the air above the pasific ocean near the equator off the west coast of mexico, this cycle is split into 2 categories: El Niño (when the air above the pasific ocean is warmer) and La Niña (the colder counterpart).

Focusing on the impact this has on the continental US: El nino, the warm one, pushes the pacific jet stream to the south, which results in significantly more rain in the southern US and dryer and warmer conditions in the northern US.

La nina, the cold one, pushes the pacific jet stream up north, which results in dryer conditions in the southern US and colder and more rainy conditions in the north.

So fun thing about this cycle: it's effect on the American north east are less cut and dry and even more so, maryland is basically on the boarder of what's considered north and south when it comes to climate in the US.

That being said, generally speaking, there is a pattern that can be established where El nino years mean maryland gets colder winters with more rain and snow, while la nina years mean more tame winters for maryland with warmer temperatures and dry conditions. In other words we're more like the south than the north for this cycle.

We have been in a la nina state since around 2018, and I belive that's why we haven't been getting any snow. The winters have also been warmer these past couple of years.

Don't take what I say as absolute fact btw, that's just good internet advice in general though.

laszlo t1_j5igji4 wrote

My money is on a decent sized snow storm in the beginning of March.

anne_hollydaye t1_j5jcden wrote

As long as it calms the hell down by the end of March, I concur.

CaptInsane t1_j5jffds wrote

2018 had a big storm 3rd day of spring. Closed down like the whole state.

CantThinkofAgoodI t1_j5jmjan wrote

Winter keeps moving back so late Feb -early March is prime snow having time

YoYoMoMa t1_j5jnsa1 wrote

I always think about this whenever it is raining and in the upper 30s. I wonder if this would have been a blizzard in the old world.

gothaggis t1_j5jodym wrote

read that its been 359 days since we have had at least an inch of snow

dudical_dude t1_j5k19ro wrote

We will receive 8 inches of snow on March 3rd. I can tell because my joint is achy on my left pinky toe.

reese-dewhat t1_j5j95sz wrote

No disincentive to say this, so... I think otherwise!

Just4Things t1_j5hv5em wrote

Every year my fiancé and I make a bet when the first snow will be. This year I chose January 3rd. It was 70 degrees.

dsr541 t1_j5ik6m3 wrote

2010 was worse. Together two different storms dumped 50” 4 days apart.

Renaissance_Nerd_46 t1_j5jibgt wrote

Not to age myself, but I remember being in middle school and thinking, “this is fantastic. I’m never going back to fucking school!” 😂 good times

Only_game_in_town t1_j5jnv49 wrote

I was a grown ass man and still got a week off for that one. Shoveled out my driveway but there was nowhere to go the roads were in such bad shape.

Lame_Alexander t1_j5kjwij wrote

When I saw this I said "wait, snow-pocolypse was only 7 years ago?".

No 2010 was the one I was remembering. Snowed into my buddies house with our 4 best friends. Making igloos to smoke weed in. Video games for days.

The good ol days of high school.

dsr541 t1_j5ld7al wrote

Yep it was my senior year of high school and we had such a blast that week.

Longey13 t1_j5jiamv wrote

I was going to say, remember 2010?

That storm was something else.

comicshopgrl t1_j5kbbs5 wrote

I did some fun as hell snow day drinking during that time. We walked down the middle of Boston Street to drink at whoever was open.

marissarae t1_j5hzhrb wrote

My roommate and I took a thermos full of spiked hot chocolate to federal hill park and went sledding toward the avam. Good times.

fireslayer03 t1_j5hwpdv wrote

Do I remember yes, yes I do. Do I want to forget spending 2 weeks moving snow? That answer is also yes

smallbatchb t1_j5i6v41 wrote

Yup, I was driving home from MICA to the Frederick area after class in my Dodge Neon. I got stuck spinning at the bottom of Eutaw trying to turn onto MLK and a city bus lost control and was sliding down Eutaw right towards me... 3 total strangers on the street ran over and helped push my car so I could turn out of the way before the bus hit me.

Bovestrian8061 t1_j5hyy48 wrote

My husband and I are climbers. He set up an anchor system in our attic so I could safely shovel snow off of a sketchy/weak part of our roof while harnessed. That was a fun day.

FriedScrapple t1_j5hxxh3 wrote

Stephanie Rawlings-Blake mishandled that so horribly. The first plow I saw on my street was 10 days after it snowed. Main roads weren’t even three days later. I don’t know what went wrong there, but it was more than just there being a lot of snow.

jabbadarth t1_j5i5b8g wrote

I went sledding down my roof deck stairs from that snow storm. Also.shoveled out about 2 dozen of my neighbors cars. The whole neighborhood came out and made a little party out of the digging.

Cat_Toucher t1_j5i7sua wrote

I'm still big mad because one POS neighbor saw me pull out of the spot I had shoveled, and came out and backed his car into the space I had just vacated, causing the two feet of uncleared snow from the top of his car to fall forward and fill up the spot where his car had been. And then just went back inside his house. The other neighbors and I had spent hours shoveling out spaces and trying to make the street and sidewalks passable so this behavior felt particularly shitty.

IveeLaChatte t1_j5j3pd6 wrote

My parents live on a little dead end street with only 6 other houses, and every time a plow passed it blocked their street in even more. They called me and begged me to bring smokes as soon as I was able to shovel out. I was standing on the side of Wilkins throwing cartons of cigarettes over a snow bank.

sunnipraystation t1_j5j1gcc wrote

I bought a new snow blower last year so I’m sure we won’t get anything.

sxswnxnw t1_j5j3t2i wrote

I remember living in Pikesville when this happened. I was excited to put on my ski bibs and boots out of context. My dog was only 4 years old, and jumped through the drifts like a bunny or kid. Did I mention I had a Subaru Forester, snow tires, and a garage? Kinda the best? 😂

Ngl, I miss snow. Should probably just move.

jwalker3181 t1_j5jrzcj wrote

I would love this right now

dopkick t1_j5k1esw wrote

I’ll trade this winter full of “40s and rainy” for some snow!

Y2ff t1_j5ihmbz wrote

You can thank climate change for that

aliensharedfish t1_j5iikty wrote

“I’ll believe it when I shovel it.” - Me (not-famous not-last words)

ohverychill t1_j5jdyny wrote

I remember this (somewhat) clearly. Pretty much spent the whole weekend drinking and walking around Canton

I was walking with one of my buddies and saw a guy clearing his car on the street. Some woman was standing in the front door of the house yelling at him to come inside and stop wasting time clearing the car. He yelled something back, then saw that me and my buddy were awkwardly looking at him.

He said, "I swear she loves me guys," took a big drink of whatever was in his thermos and went back to clearing his car.

I hope they're happy, I think of them often lol

justlikeyou14 t1_j5kwzvo wrote

This just made me think of the infamous 'Blizzard of '96' -- took a week for the city's plows to hit our street. We had to dig it out ourselves.

keyjan t1_j5hxini wrote

La la la la I can’t [see] you…🫣

MaximumAbsorbency t1_j5i1x1c wrote

It was rough. I had to go around rescuing friends after I had a friend dig me out of my townhouse (just outside the city). So many streets just had snow forever with little walk paths cut through.

z3mcs t1_j5i5eu9 wrote

> So many streets just had snow forever.

Some dirty snow piles were out there til May.

MonstieHunter t1_j5ovzsb wrote

My birthday is on the 24th, and I remember being stuck inside the house that day. My mom felt bad that we couldn't celebrate, but then we remembered there was cake mix with icing in our covert. We ended up baking a cake together and celebrating with just the two of us. A fond memory, but also reminds me why I hate being born in the winter.

km4xX t1_j5j8pyv wrote

That's hardly 2.5 ft

That is barely a dusting

tacitus23 t1_j5jc6rw wrote

9 inches on February 30th calling it now.

anne_hollydaye t1_j5jcjdg wrote

I wrote this on Facebook that day: "Meteorologist called this the storm that just won't leave."

I quite remember it. The dog was NOT HAPPY.

lolanaboo_ t1_j5jfgoc wrote

Yeah my job had the audacity to tell me if I wasn’t coming in that they’d send someone to pick me up…. Wound up going and then leaving shortly after smh lol

Bmore_legend86 t1_j5jk0b6 wrote

I’m thinking there might be a blizzard this year

hawkbit92 t1_j5jlwij wrote

I remember this!

I feel like we'll get some snow in February at least.

adjust_your_set t1_j5jqnss wrote

My car was parked in an alley that got no sun. It was buried in snow for a good month or two before we could move it.

de_rerum_naturaDe002 t1_j5jriv1 wrote

Yes! I miss this! Although I lived on an emergency snow route back then, so that was a pain in the ass.

Junie_juju t1_j5jtqxt wrote

Walked back and forth to the liquor store and Giant

TheSceptikal t1_j5k1ibf wrote

I got an entire 2 weeks off of school lol

justaphage42 t1_j5k82dy wrote

This was my dog’s first snow storm after we adopted her. Still love to watch that video of her first steps out the door and falling in love. Neighbors all came together to shovel out the back alley and then threw a big party. Shoveled lots of walks and left my car in the garage at work for two weeks and just walked about an hour each way to avoid the fight over parking. Had a pretty nice time and felt good about my neighborhood.

lingua-caligula t1_j5kaylw wrote

This looks a lot like Newport Ave in Hampden.

BmoreInterested t1_j5kq9kv wrote

I don't think it is, but I honestly can't figure out where it could be

peanutnozone t1_j5krxpg wrote

I bought my house and closed on it three weeks before that snow storm hit. It was the one and only time I’ve lost power in the seven years I’ve lived in this part of Baltimore

theski25 t1_j5lnf70 wrote

It’s no smowmageddon

F1owwo1F t1_j5lnmhb wrote

My daughter was born in this storm.

With my wife in early labor, I shoveled a path through Pigtown so that we’d have access to the highway.

Btyoda1 t1_j5mfi5t wrote

So many lawn chairs on the city streets

UsualFirefighter9 t1_j5mzmvd wrote

Ah yes. Digging out a stuck firetruck in my neighborhood at ass oclock at night when it tried to cut a path for the ambo. Good times.

Cunninghams_right t1_j5iedpg wrote

my friends and I had a big snowball fight in the wyman park dell with a bunch of strangers. some girl tackled me because she wanted to make out. was dating someone at the time so had to turn her down... probably should have just gone with it, but I'm not the type to cheat. good times.

also, I enjoy shoveling snow so I shoveled out my whole block down the side on each street, and part of the alleyway (not all at once).

−4