Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Samael13 t1_j92go1o wrote

"Why pay for things when stealing them is easy?!" is definitely a lifehack.

Is this just bait?

shadyghxst t1_j92h0a0 wrote

Oh you never downloaded anything on the net for free and for personal use only?

−14

phredbull t1_j92hco0 wrote

"Why buy stuff when you can get away with stealing it?"

Red_n_Rusty t1_j92hqs9 wrote

You can also download movies and music for free but somehow people are willing to pay for services like Spotify and Netflix. Downloading illegally distributed books is illegal in most regions and it doesn't support the authors. Personally I don't find reading ebooks difficult. Nothing is easier than buying one on the Kindle store and reading it without having to lug books around.

Did I download illegally distributed copies of media when I was a student? Sure. Am I doing it now that I'm an employed adult? Never.

philosophyofblonde t1_j92i3j5 wrote

Why not spare yourself the virus and I dunno…use a library to source your eBooks?

shadyghxst t1_j92mej8 wrote

I know how to use the internet effectively and get things for free without any virus.

−2

UnspentTx t1_j92ho9k wrote

> Why pay for ebooks?

Because stealing is against the law? So the author will get paid for their time and effort? So you won't get suckered into downloading a file corrupted with spyware / malware? To support retail platforms that offer safe, legal copies of books; many of which also help support up-and-coming authors, offer tools authors can use to self-publish their work, etc?

¯\(ツ)

shadyghxst t1_j92mkv8 wrote

Its not stealing , its downloading. You know like we all do everyday on the internet.

−1

UnspentTx t1_j92tcl0 wrote

My bad, you're correct... It's not stealing, it's "possession of stolen goods" which is a totally separate crime (in most places, at least...)

> Possession of stolen goods is a crime in which an individual has bought, been given, or acquired stolen goods. In many jurisdictions, if an individual has accepted possession of goods (or property) and knew they were stolen, then the individual may be charged with a crime... > > -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possession_of_stolen_goods

Ruilin96 t1_j92hn27 wrote

At the very least, if you read something via “download” that you like, you should support the author by purchasing a hard copy of the book or eBook so they get paid for their work.

maxsamm t1_j92jkh3 wrote

As a third option between stealing and buying- libraries

snwlf1 t1_j92flrm wrote

Personally, I only get e-books through my library or Prime Reading, or pay for them. There is just something about wanting to make sure that authors, especially up and coming or self-published authors, get paid for the incredible amount of work they put into their books. Whether I enjoy it myself or not. Even authors I have followed for 30 years, I buy their books. I don't pirate them.

AtraMikaDelia t1_j92jl3t wrote

Why do you guys pay for cars? You have to deal with things like registration and driver's licenses if you pay, and you're probably just supporting big companies and not the actual workers.

Using a lockpick and some knowledge of wiring, you can steal almost any car for free, and in different models that you may not be able to afford if you bought it.

shadyghxst t1_j92kp45 wrote

For someone on a book sub , this is a really lame response. Lol

books-ModTeam t1_j92mag4 wrote

Per Rule 3.6: No distribution or solicitation of pirated books.

We aren't telling you not to discuss piracy (it is an important topic), but we do not allow anyone to share links and info on where to find pirated copies. This rule comes from no personal opinion of the mods' regarding piracy, but because /r/books is an open, community-driven forum and it is important for us to abide the wishes of the publishing industry.

shadyghxst t1_j92r8s1 wrote

Wow all these privileged people acting like they don’t download things from the internet every day.

−1

shadyghxst t1_j92gkmc wrote

About supporting some authors ,I understand that but you’re probably just supporting Amazon and the other platforms.

−7