Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Grindlebone t1_jdx6g6h wrote

"He comes towards me, the wavy blade of his flamberge moving, snakelike, in the flickering torchlight."

meeeooow1 t1_jdx91sc wrote

Of course, some creativity is to be had with it. I couldn't have done a better job of naturally and clearly explaining the term.

chortlingabacus t1_jdxf5j3 wrote

'I would that I could draw back but found to my despair, and shamed though I was it to my secretest delight, that I was as firmly transfixed by the quivering of his sturdy flamberge as banquet goat is fixed on a spit. Reader, I fucked him.'

Sorry. '. . . goat is fixed on a spit. "I have heard tell of your undefeated flanchion," I sighed defiantly, "but perhaps your flamberge excels it." '

Grindlebone t1_jdxo0w3 wrote

Delightful. What's a flanchion?

chortlingabacus t1_jdz6jkn wrote

Thanks, but it's you deserves all the credit. (Though I must say I'm rather pleased with 'sighed defiantly'.)

I can tell you exactly what a flanchion is. It's a word on a wiki list of medieval swords.

CrazyCatLady108 t1_jdxdc4m wrote

Hi! Your post is more appropriate for a writing sub. Check out /r/writing, please check their rules before posting. Good luck!

StranglesMcWhiskey t1_jdx7o05 wrote

Flamberge does not automatically mean a sword is wavy.

That's the origin of the term, but it has been used for a long time to refer to many swords, some of which are not flame or wave-bladed.

meeeooow1 t1_jdx8gog wrote

Thank you for that, honestly I just used the term that sounded fanciest.

AGirlWhoLovesToRead t1_jdx7txt wrote

I think you should explain it once and then leave it at that. Expect the reader to remember what it is the next time the word appears. And if it's a series of books once per book.

Majestic-Rutabaga-28 t1_jdx8fwu wrote

The character wouldnt say it. It knows the sword. But the narrator should use jargon. People need to be educated about new words

meeeooow1 t1_jdx9eim wrote

I agree. People know too little of swords. My problem is easier to solve when you're writing in a third person like you point out.

Majestic-Rutabaga-28 t1_jdxa9vz wrote

If the character is a teacher it makes sense the way you wrote it, if not ot just feels like unrealistic conversation

JasonZep t1_jdxc8m5 wrote

I would avoid jargon all together unless it actually adds something. Even then I would go with the first option.