Submitted by ancienthippo t3_zs60at in books

I’m familiar with the story and have watched a couple different adaptations throughout my life, but this is my first time reading the book. I decided to read the book while also listening to the audiobook and found out that LeVar Burton narrates a free version on Apple Books!! He brought so much life to the story and I absolutely loved it!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Sapphire_Flora t1_j16hs9h wrote

I just downloaded it. I haven’t heard Levar Burton read a book since the Reading Rainbow days.

Bookworm_XXX t1_j16ltqw wrote

He has a podcast called Levar Burton Reads where he reads short stories. It's fantastic!

wingthing t1_j18mcqu wrote

Absolutely everyone should listen to this podcast. It’s so fricking nostalgic and unbelievably soothing. I loved Reading Rainbow and getting to listen to LeVar Burton again makes me so happy.

ChaserNeverRests t1_j16r9ir wrote

LeVar Burton Reads is a wonderful podcast. It's like Reading Rainbow for adults!

lizzie1hoops t1_j178yir wrote

I'm listening to a version narrated by Tim Curry, but I bet this is great too. It'll be next on my list!

amyriadofhorses t1_j17jonh wrote

I just finished the Tim Curry one. Damn it's good. His voices are excellent.

the908bus t1_j17ewgt wrote

I wish I were LeVar Burton

thewizardlizard t1_j16pph8 wrote

Thank you for this! 😊 Love him from Reading Rainbow. Will be so much fun to hear him read this classic ❤️

frolki t1_j172fre wrote

still 2 weeks wait on Libby, listening now! Thanks for sharing!

le_fromage_puant t1_j16ou5t wrote

Thank you! I just finished an “intermediate reader” version with one of my ESL students and sent this to him

rennarda t1_j17rsm0 wrote

The Patrick Stewart version is a Christmas tradition in our household.

Legal-Philosophy-135 t1_j16v2pg wrote

Thank you! I just went straight and downloaded it, definitely looking forward to it

tkrynsky t1_j17gdko wrote

TIL that Apple Books is still a thing. Downloaded, thanks OP

NietzschesJoy t1_j17ze3i wrote

Reading the book while listening to the book sounds amazing for my ADHD. Bering able to assign voice inflections to people would help with my memory so much.

I love books but unless my brain wants to read a bit after I’ve taken my meds I’ll usually just watch a movie or play video games. I think this may be a great thing to get me engaged in books again

Cu_Chulainn77 t1_j184d70 wrote

Ah, the days of LeVar Burton reading a story on Reading Rainbow are some of my favorite childhood memories!

dowsemouse t1_j175pst wrote

Oh that’s so fun! Thanks for telling us about this, OP. I can’t wait to listen to it.

Luigi_is_my_god t1_j17i1mw wrote

I own a facsimile of the original print from the 1800s. It’s fantastic.

Btw, if you didn’t know, the reason the ghost of Christmas present only has that many siblings is because that’s how many years it has been since Christ’s birth

Johndahbomb t1_j17l6q5 wrote

Heck yeah! Good looking out ;)

AusPower85 t1_j17vadk wrote

I’ve got to be honest. I read the title with the author as being “Lamar Ball”… and I wasn’t sure if I could live in a world where that was the case.

Luks89 t1_j186c2b wrote

Amazing! Thanks for sharing!

RCbuckets t1_j189hnx wrote

Audible has a free version narrated by Hugh Grant. Merry Christmas!

zsreport t1_j189wvh wrote

Also, on the Dateline podcast feed they've been putting up audio of Keith Morrison reading Christmas Classics, like The Grinch.

ElysianDelusions t1_j18w708 wrote

…my love of reading and Star Trek are directly correlated with Levar Burton’s influence of my childhood. So glad for this info! Thank you!!!

DuurtMcguurt t1_j1927p4 wrote

I told Pierce a thousand times, I never wanted to meet LeVar in person! I just wanted a picture. You can't disappoint a picture! I hate you Pierce!

KingofOoooo t1_j1bgxuk wrote

Say whaaat? Thanks for the share. //runs to download

keyekeb8 t1_j17stng wrote

18 comments with nearly 700 upvot3s in 8 hours...

Nice ad.

Gtfo my front page

−13

przyplyw t1_j18622e wrote

Or maybe it’s because most people upvote instead of comment lmao