Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

JimDixon t1_j20sf2k wrote

This is my problem with sci-fi in general. I often find that the premise that the story is built on is far more interesting than the story itself-- so much so that I frequently become bored with the story. That's why, I suppose, I very much prefer sci-fi short stories over novels.

mooingfrog t1_j20nfqe wrote

The 3 Body Problem.

The story felt so wooden to me and I couldn’t empathize with the MCs but the concepts and idea were very interesting so slogged through.

tinybutvicious t1_j20n171 wrote

Red Clocks. The book didn’t work for me but I wanted more about the world. It’s probably just a matter of time.

lydiardbell t1_j20tr72 wrote

I enjoyed Embassytown by China Mieville, but I spent most of the second act wishing it was a book about Immer travel instead.

Then again, I guess there's plenty of books about interdimensional travel and not too many that explore the sociopolitical impact of language via aliens that have two voices but can't lie.

SonnyCalzone t1_j20vxhl wrote

I haven't read enough of Pratchett's Discworld books to fully weigh in on this yet, but from what I've already so far in its Rincewind sub-series I do keep wishing that more worldbuilding would occur (more about the Unseen University, and more about the city of Ankh-Morpork for starters.)

RunDNA t1_j20yh69 wrote

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick.

The setting was a fantastic and deeply captivating piece of alternate history: an America that lost WWII and was divided up between Japan and Germany. The actual story though was quite ho-hum and I can barely remember it (I think it had something to do with stealing antiques.)

books-ModTeam t1_j20yjkn wrote

Apologies, but your post does not contain enough for people to engage in conversation. Do you have something else to say about the book that you could edit into the text? Let me know if you edit it and I will reinstate your post.

Or, if you would prefer to share quick/brief reactions to a book you are currently reading or recently finished, you can comment in our weekly What We're Reading thread, accessible from our header atop the sub. Your book may even appear in the sub banner! Thank you.