Submitted by Matherno t3_10p33i6 in books

When I have a series of books at normal size, and the latest book is released, I am certainly not going to get a larger release version of the book. So I'm forced to wait until the smaller versions start being published, which is usually 6 months later. I don't understand why publishers do this. If anything it just reduces potential profit on release for the new books.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

honestlyicba t1_j6i1vhv wrote

Hardbacks are more expensive hence profit. They want you to give in to getting the more expensive book now rather than waiting for the paperback.

I have fallen for the trap many times and then I got frustrated and just bought it on kindle.

Matherno OP t1_j6kg8j7 wrote

Hardbacks I understand. They are more durable, and most people prefer them over paperbacks. I'm talking about the ~23cm tall paperbacks vs the standard ~19cm paperbacks.

HugoNebula t1_j6mf14z wrote

Again, it's a scale for maximising profit. As mentioned elsewhere, all of these formats cost relatively the same amount to print and bind, so the earlier, more expensive formats make more money for the publisher, and offer the consumer a choice, both in format and early access.

Usually, the hardback and the larger paperback are released together, the paperback being slightly cheaper. Then the B-format paperback comes some time after that. There used to be an A-format, or 'mass market' paperback that was the cheapest of all, but those have fallen out of fashion.

festusthecat t1_j6i1owb wrote

It’s possible you’re not their only customer.

pinpoint321 t1_j6i410p wrote

I watch all of my films on my Television which is a good size for watching films but film makers insist on releasing them at the cinema on bigger screens first and I have to wait like six months for them. Ugh!

CognitiveBirch t1_j6i25sc wrote

The paperback edition is supposed to be the standard version and the pocket edition is the cheaper mass product. It's a good and historical way to extend the life of a book by having several release dates.

Lizk4 t1_j6i5ces wrote

All of those books you have were originally released at full size, then later, smaller, cheaper versions were released. If you want to be able to read a book when it first comes out and still have matching sets, then buy the larger version of already released books in the series, even if a smaller one exists.

They release the larger versions first because they make more money on them, simple as that.

phiwong t1_j6i3afu wrote

"If anything it just reduces potential profit on release for the new books."

So you think that publishers that have been in the business for many decades don't know how to optimize profits? It is reasonable to have an opinion but basing it on others being stupid is interesting.

If you think everyone is stupid, perhaps you should consider who is really the stupid one here.

RetroMagpie t1_j6i4otm wrote

OP - has questions and repeats that they don't really understand something but asks for opinions on the subject to gain a better understanding

Average redditor - "Well you are really stupid and dumb and very not smart, but I am much big brain because I do understand, also you big dumb dumb!" Sniffs own fart

−13

D_is_for_Doomsayer t1_j6i7buh wrote

>OP - has questions and repeats that they don't really understand something but asks offers for opinions on the subject to gain a better understanding

RetroMagpie t1_j6i7hir wrote

>OP - has questions and repeats that they don't really understand something but asks offers for opinions on the subject to gain a better understanding

But offers for opinions?

Edit: Downvotes and then edits their comment, lol.

−9

D_is_for_Doomsayer t1_j6ick1g wrote

You can actually see that my edit was executed before your comment, but thanks for playing.

RetroMagpie t1_j6icw6k wrote

Literally quoted you for truth, what planet are you on lol

−6

D_is_for_Doomsayer t1_j6ifd54 wrote

The planet where sometimes people make mistakes in comments and then edit it immediately as to avoid confusion.

keesouth t1_j6i8r0a wrote

They make more money off the hardcovers and some people prefer them. The hard covers are also made with better materials so they can take more wear and tear than paperbacks.

Scorianet t1_j6jgcko wrote

Rofl 'normal size'?! What has become of r/books?

StefanOrvarSigmundss t1_j6i4001 wrote

I prefer hardbacks. The only paperbacks in my personal library are books that I was gifted.

cosmin_c t1_j6k2ykj wrote

I sympathise with this. All the books I bought for myself are hardcovers except those I couldn't find them in this format and I had to buy paperbacks. I like the feeling of reading hardcovers and they sit much better on the shelf and they seem to deform less when read (spines on paperbacks are terrible).

emeryldmist t1_j6i33j5 wrote

So no one ever buys the hardback versions and feels exactly like you do and wants to keep their sets looking similar?

Hardback are more profit and sturdy/lasting. There are a large number of people who want books as soon as they come out, desire first editions etc and will pay the premium. You choose not to.... but you are not the main character in the publishing world.

>I don't understand why publishers do this.

Really? Perhaps a book on critical thinking should be your next trade paperback purchase.

Aldehyde1 t1_j6i8nzp wrote

I always viewed the larger books as the default size, and the pocket editions as an alternative. I do like pocket editions for most of my books, except for ones I really like and want a nice hardcover for.

HugoNebula t1_j6j33a7 wrote

> If anything it just reduces potential profit on release for the new books.

Literally the opposite—publishers make more money off the readers who will pay more to have a book straight away, or prefer the quality of a hardback. It divides the audience for a book into tiered payments, and makes more money off those happy to pay more.

SlySciFiGuy t1_j6jvifj wrote

Those willing to pay more for hardbacks get first dibs. Seems reasonable.

dawgfan19881 t1_j6i6zfs wrote

For physical books I personally read paperbacks only. They are easier to read as the binding is less rigid and all me get get more comfortable when reading. What i do is simply read other things until a newer book I wanna read comes out in paperback. There is so much stuff already in paperback I want to read it’s not a big deal for me that I can’t read a brand new book right when it comes out. Or if I really want it I just get it in my kindle.

SonnyCalzone t1_j6kapfb wrote

Knowing full-well that instant gratification is overrated, I say it's perfectly ok to just wait and enjoy other books in the meantime. There's no shortage of older books worth your time.

pfunnyjoy t1_j6luccg wrote

This is simple, you don't have to get the larger release version just *to read it* upon release, use your local library for that, then buy the smaller version you want for your personal library when it comes out. Win, win.

Of course, if it happens to be a VERY popular series, there may be a wait period before you can borrow a copy from your library, but probably less than 6 months.

Another option is buy the larger version, read immediately, then sell on.

Just_A_Random_Passer t1_j6lyics wrote

They want to maximize profit. Over many years they created the perception that Hardback is much more expensive to print than trade paperback and that is more expensive than mass market paperback. So, first they publish it as a hardback, for $50 and when they run out of people that are prepared to pay that they publish in cheaper format.

The thing is, the printing of the hardback is only a tiny bit more expensive than that large paperback, which is tiny bit more expensive than small paperback. Certainly the difference is much, much smaller than the retail price difference.

This has backfired hard, when they started to publish e-books and people expected that an e-book would be markedly cheaper than the cheapest paperback.

TheMadIrishman327 t1_j6nm4pa wrote

They don’t need that perception.

They price what the market will bear for the different versions.