Submitted by JRychley t3_11ee97e in boston

Looking to stay in Boston for longer than a week and was wondering if it's best to bite the bullet, spend more and stay right downtown, or if it's better to maybe stay a few miles out, save money, and use the transit system. Do locals/ tourists have any advice? Is the train/ bus system reliable?

Also, does anyone have recommendations on Airbnb/VRBO vs hotel? which is better, safer, etc.

New to all of this, so I'm more than willing to listen to any and all advice. Thanks so much!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

johnjaspers1965 t1_jadkmki wrote

The hotels downtown and right next to Fenway park have a lot of character. It's just a cool experience to be right in the city. However, the T is it's own experience. Sort of like riding the subway in New York. You gotta do it at least once in your life!

terminal_e t1_jads1v1 wrote

The MBTA is actively in shambles, and at various times train routes are being replaced with bus shuttles.

You basically need to brew a pot of coffee/tea, and digest:

https://www.mbta.com/alerts/subway

Before making real plans.

Unfortunately, this is the state of the Bay State. I also don't have my arms around how exhaustive this URL is from a timeline perspective - nothing for April is seemingly cited, but does that honestly mean April won't have any of these planned service outages, or just that they haven't been scheduled yet?

AutoModerator t1_jadg094 wrote

Your post appears to be one of a number of commonly asked questions about the port city of Boston. Please check the sidebar for visitor information. Also, consider using the search function to see if this question or something similar has been asked on /r/boston in the past. It is best to do some research before posting tourism questions here, as posts are more likely to succeed if they include details such as your interests, which area you are staying in, and more specific questions. Please enjoy this map that we made just for you

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

jjgould165 t1_jaf2o5m wrote

It is more about what you are comfortable with, especially if something breaks and you have to react on the fly. When we were in London there was a tube strike and we had to scramble a bit, luckily a Bobby was able to help us out. Boston is wicked safe so don't really worry about that.

If you don't want to stay right downtown, look at Somerville, Quincy, Cambridge, Malden, Revere. Many of the hotels do a pick up/drop off situation from the local transit stop.

Avoid coming over the 3rd week of April, everything is expensive and full.

Menacing_Anus42 t1_jaej5wj wrote

IMO save and use the transit system. But don't go too far because it can be a real trek from some areas.