Submitted by RefrigeratorRich2336 t3_11ctikl in boston

Wondering about any great whiskey bars in downtown Boston? Never been to the Boston coming to town for a few days soon and would love to find good bars! Any recs for just good food appreciated too!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Pinwurm t1_ja52a7c wrote

If you have time, go to Bully Boy Distillery (a short Uber ride) or Short Path Distillery (in nearby Everett, also a short Uber). Both are in industrial areas. Bully Boy is the better tasting room, but the beauty of Short Path is that it's right near Bone Up Brewery & Night Shift Brewery - and good for a night out. Short Path also makes gin & other stuff.

Otherwise, I really like Saloon (they have 120+ whiskeys) in Davis Square off the Red Line. It's a quintessential whiskey bar and has pretty decent grub too.
The Quiet Few in East Boston has a great selection, it's my local spot. It's a short walk from Maverick Station off the Blue Line, about 6-7 minutes commute from downtown. I like their burgers. Great staff. Though it's tiny and can get crowded.
Worden Hall in South Boston is solid.

If you have to be downtown, The Last Hurrah is the hotel bar for the Omni Parker House and is pretty iconic.

In the Fenway area, there's Citizens Public House. Food and cocktails are okay, though they have a damn good selection. Also - pickleback shots on draft. But if you're going there, I'd highly recommend going to Fool's Errand across-ish the street, which is a tiny standing-room (mostly) craft cocktail bar.

RefrigeratorRich2336 OP t1_ja5nb3r wrote

Appreciate the thorough and detailed response! I’ll check some of those places out.

cocktailvirgin t1_ja4yfmp wrote

Smoke Shop (4 locations with booze with Fort Point being the closest to down town, and Somerville having thr largest collection of American whiskey in New England).

Citizen by Fenway Park with the largest collection of whisk(e)y in town.

Outside of town, the Quiet Few in East Boston has a decent collection but is a destination.

VoteCamacho2508 t1_ja51dag wrote

>Quiet Few in East Boston

This is a cool spot and pretty easy to get to from Downtown.

el_duderino88 t1_ja5o7vv wrote

I only went once to check out the whiskey selection and it just seemed like it was a college bar, didn't like the atmosphere at all, better whiskey selection than many bars though.

PersisPlain t1_ja5q6lo wrote

>Citizen

Last year my husband & I went to see the refurbished Dutch exhibit at the MFA, and there was a still life of oysters there that was so vivid we left the museum consumed with the need for oysters. It was miserable and sleeting outside and we basically sprinted across the Fens from the museum to Citizen, which was warm and cozy inside and almost empty at 4 pm, and had their 3-oysters-and-a-shot-of-whisky deal - hit the spot perfectly. I haven't been back since then but it's a very fond memory.

ZipBlu t1_ja79shz wrote

The Haven in JP is one of the best Scotch bars around. They have a ton of independent bottles and a lot of other rare and hard to find stuff like Octomores and Ardbeg special releases. If you’re a scotch enthusiast that’s the place to go (and they have Scottish food, which is excellent). Hops and Scotch in Brookline and Wink and Nod also have really big selections of Scotch, too.

roissy_37 t1_ja518vj wrote

If you're looking for scotch, The Last Hurrah at the Omni Parker House is a great option. One of the best scotch bars in the country.

devAcc123 t1_ja64dx4 wrote

Also one of the best locations in the city, walkable from pretty much everywhere except east boston/south boston/allston

donkadunny t1_ja70sny wrote

What about Dorchester, Hyde Park, West Roxbury, Jamaica plain and Brighton? Is it walkable from those parts if the city?

devAcc123 t1_ja7cb51 wrote

I’d imagine OP isn’t looking for hotels over there

Edit: nvm I’m thinking of some other post where they were looking for hotels not whiskey bars lol

Its-Finrot t1_ja552p0 wrote

The haven in JP is a scotch bar

maria0284 t1_ja6dgge wrote

Citizens Public House for a great whiskey selection and amazing food.