Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Taft_2016 t1_ja8ixvu wrote

God what a hit piece. Violent crime is down. The "Boston Violence" they're describing is 7 homicides this year compared to 3 last year. They're mad because she doesn't show up at more crime scenes for the press.

EnjoyTheNonsense t1_ja8l1m9 wrote

fatal and non-fatal shootings are up. But none the less this was a complaint about Wu even during the election. The same groups said that she did not go the peace walks and vigils. She was a councilor at large so she was supposed to represent the entire city and some took that to show that she represented places disproportionately.

BostonUniStudent t1_ja8ncgh wrote

Less bar fist fights and more fatal gunshot wounds could very easily explain those statistics.

While overall incidences of general low level violence have decreased, dead bodies have increased. I wouldn't call that a win for law enforcement.

Taft_2016 t1_ja8ngd7 wrote

Oh boy, way to chop those data BRIC. 4 more shootings in less than two months is statistical noise.

"Not attending peace walks and vigils" is a different criticism, but also a totally illegitimate one? And you know it is, primarily because she gets just as much criticism for going to too many public events and marches and not "working for the people" or whatnot.

Wu critics don't tend to be terribly consistent, but they're pretty damned loud.

−9

EnjoyTheNonsense t1_ja8t3sn wrote

Can you show me of an example of Wu being criticized for going to too many peace walks or vigils?

FuriousAlbino t1_ja99ln6 wrote

Yeah, I am sure the family of the 13 year old that was gunned down will be relieved when I tell them that u/Taft_2016 said that their son’s murder was only “statistical noise”.

Notorious_mkp t1_jac5z2l wrote

Wu supporters don’t tend to be terribly consistent, but they’re pretty damned loud.

TouchDownBurrito t1_ja8o11a wrote

It shouldn’t be surprising, it is the herald and Eugene Rivers is a fairly frequent Fox News guest.

jojenns t1_ja8okt2 wrote

Is channel 5 owned by the Herald or vice versa?

Icy-Neck-2422 t1_ja88r5x wrote

I think more studies and skill building should do the trick.

reaper527 t1_ja92u14 wrote

how hard exactly is "lock up violent criminals rather than making excuses to let them back on the street early"?

InevitableOne8421 t1_jacbw1j wrote

Honestly wtf do people want her to do? She’s not responsible for parenting shitty kids whose parents have failed them. How is she ignoring members of the black community exactly? She’s not “doing nothing”

[deleted] t1_ja882h3 wrote

[deleted]

−9

Taft_2016 t1_ja8k1ox wrote

I mean... yeah? Good public transportation and well-paying jobs both correlate with lower crime rates.

downthewell62 t1_ja85l3q wrote

I mean, violent crime rises with income inequality, which is rising across the country because of late stage capitalism.

Very little she can do

−24

RogueInteger t1_ja88zd6 wrote

Not sure the choice of doing nothing fits into a bucket of successful leadership.

Due-Studio-65 t1_jab1hui wrote

She's literally making changes to help reduce income inequality. She's doing what people want, she just isn't doing the press tour along with it.

dxbaileyy t1_ja8ew8r wrote

Late stage capitalism is my least favorite buzz phrase.

_Hack_The_Planet_ t1_ja8kxqw wrote

The implication is that the "people" are going to have a revolution and overthrow the system, replacing it with a communist dictatorship. In this world, people that use the phrase "late stage capitalism" all fancy themselves to be the leaders.

Random_words12345 t1_ja8g272 wrote

All my poor choices in life and my lack of marketable skills are the fault of capitalism

JohnWhoHasACat t1_jaakv3t wrote

So, do you not think things are getting demonstrably worse economically?

A11th3p04n t1_ja9xtlc wrote

Poor choices like choosing to be born into a poor family.

−3

Simon_Jester88 t1_ja8mwie wrote

We've sure been in late stage capitalism for a while, haven't we?

downthewell62 t1_ja8t6ky wrote

Crime rates were down in the 90s, and are down in Boston compared to other places.

But yes, it is becoming harder and harder for the average person to survive since the 80s.

[deleted] t1_ja8wtkc wrote

[deleted]

downthewell62 t1_ja8xego wrote

I don't think you're responding to what you think you're responding to

jojenns t1_ja8y2np wrote

I was responding to the right comment just misinterpreted it completely. I will delete and take my lap

−1

silocren t1_ja8gi95 wrote

Clearly there is something she can do - the impacted communities feel like they are being ignored by Wu when it comes to public safety:

>"She has been (missing in action) on this issue," the Rev. Eugene Rivers said Wednesday. "We're asking Mayor Wu, you have to be leadership for all of the city. You can't ignore the Black community."
>
>Some of Wu's critics have said they do not regularly see her or Boston police Commissioner Michael Cox at major crime scenes, unlike their predecessors.

She should at least show her face when somebody is gunned down for the 7th time in less than 3 months. Easier to just tweet out condolences than actually be out in the community I guess.

CognacNCuddlin t1_ja8hosf wrote

While I don’t disagree, showing her face and being on the ground in support is more political optics than anything else if we are being completely honest here. Most think the police have too much budget so it’s not a matter of resources and funding. The main question I have in all of this is what are the local religious leaders saying to their congregations and within the community? A lot of the people who enable these criminals or have information the police would need to investigate are in the community.

silocren t1_ja8j47z wrote

Generally I would agree with you, but when the impacted community is actively asking you to show your face, it no longer becomes "political optics". They clearly feel ignored by Wu, and if it makes them feel seen for her to show up more frequently, then she should strive to do that. It's a low effort way for her to engage with the community in a way they have specifically requested.

−1

downthewell62 t1_ja8sur8 wrote

Oh, so people are upset that she's not posing for pointless photo ops..

silocren t1_ja8u1za wrote

Let me correct you - members of the community directly impacted by violence feel that Wu is ignoring the violence problem. Their concerns are exacerbated by the fact that Wu has yet to show her face in these communities and instead offers Twitter platitudes.

But please continue to tell the Black community how they should feel about a mayor who won't even do the bare minimum to engage with them.

downthewell62 t1_ja8xc2f wrote

"It's very difficult to find the right balance between supporting families and being present, and reaching out with services and support behind closed doors, rather than running in front of cameras — that actually retraumatizes and elevates experiences that families don't want to live through ever again"

I see one quote from one person, not "the black community" that she very obviously isn't ignoring. Nice try though

silocren t1_ja9c3g4 wrote

>"It's very difficult to find the right balance between supporting families and being present, and reaching out with services and support behind closed doors, rather than running in front of cameras — that actually retraumatizes and elevates experiences that families don't want to live through ever again"

That's is Wu's opinion - clearly the community feels differently.

>I see one quote from one person, not "the black community" that she very obviously isn't ignoring. Nice try though

So we need to get every single black person's opinion on how Wu is handling public safety in their communities before we can make any conclusions? Rev. Eugene Rivers is clearly a leader in the community and infinitely more connected with its residents than you are. It is wildly inappropriate (and borderline paternalistic) to think you know better than a community leader.

The fact is Wu drastically underperformed among the Black community compared to Marty Walsh (let alone Janey) - that is not conjecture. Even in her city councilor days, the Black community did not feel like Wu advocated for or represented them:

>Walsh’s support is strongest in Roxbury, Mattapan, Hyde Park and Dorchester neighborhoods generally to the west of Dorchester Avenue, where 54 percent of respondents said they’d likely support him and just 16 percent said they’d likely support Wu.

The fact is the black community at large feels ignored by Wu. You can't hand wave this away and tell them how they "should feel".

jojenns t1_ja8iry4 wrote

She addressed that with a typical Wu word salad . She nor the commissioner shows up because it “re traumatizes and elevates experiences” its another nonsense answer deflecting accountability