Submitted by bostonglobe t3_120jp6t in boston

From Globe.com:

The Globe recently spoke with 10 leaders involved in redeveloping Nubian Square, most of them Black and with longstanding ties to the community. They believe there’s an opportunity to restore the square to its former glory in the first half of the 20th century, when it was Boston’s second-most-popular commercial destination, behind downtown. They also hope to attract tourists and patrons from Greater Boston, while improving the neighborhood’s economy for residents.

But there are complications to this rebirth. Namely, whether a balance can be struck between the need to bring in outside capital and the initiative to build wealth among the low-income population of Nubian Square, with sensitivity to the redevelopment history of the neighborhood, where other attempts at revitalization have fizzled.

According to Norm Stembridge, cochairperson of the Roxbury Strategic Master Plan Oversight Committee, this iteration is different because it’s led by “people who have proven their expertise in development and the ability to get financing.”

Stembridge said that seeking out local people of color with track records as developers was intentional. “We told [the city], basically, that we needed developers in this section of Boston who look like you and me, who we knew, who we thought could collaborate with other developers and bring much-needed activity back into the community,” he said.

The list of projects coming to the square runs the gamut. Jazz Urbane Cafe aims to provide world-class entertainment and nightlife. The Benjamin Franklin Cummings Institute of Technology, which is moving to the neighborhood from the South End next year, promises education for high-paying careers. Nubian Markets will bring Afrocentric grocery shopping and dining. A variety of mixed-use, mixed-income housing projects with ownership opportunities are in progress.

City Councilor Tania Fernandes Anderson, who represents Roxbury, believes that affordable housing is important, but that too much of it concentrates poverty without offering economic opportunity. She envisions a neighborhood where entertainment, green space, commercial opportunities, mixed-income rentals, and affordable homeownership options are all abundant.

The development plan for the 7.7-acre plot known as P3 in Lower Roxbury, just outside of Nubian Square, aims to bring all of that by 2028. The proposal would house an Embrace Boston museum and policy center; multiple parks, pathways, and plazas; retail space that emphasizes local businesses and vendors; a life sciences center that would create 2,400 permanent jobs; and 144 affordable homeownership units at an average price of 65 percent of the area median income, along with 164 affordable rental units ranging from 30 to 80 percent of the AMI — which the sale of the life sciences buildings will subsidize.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

psychout7 t1_jdhmbpb wrote

There was an article posted here the other day about alcohol licenses, and it mentioned that 4 have been approved for being in Nubian Square.

If they get a spate of new restaurants, I'll definitely go check out the area. There some cool architecture there, and I'd love to have a new place to visit in the city.

Maxpowr9 t1_jdho4du wrote

Why I rolled my eyes about the Nightlife Czar. Unless Boston gets control over its liquor licenses from the state, you can't change much.

Bostonviadetroit t1_jdhygr7 wrote

I don’t drink but I agree that liquor license cap is what is holding back nightlife in the city.

also lack of places open 24hrs. It’s a whole process just to be allowed to serve food after 10pm.

psychout7 t1_jdhoeg8 wrote

Totally agree. State control of the ability to open businesses in Boston is a major barrier to opening a restaurant outside of the neighborhoods already really built up

TouchDownBurrito t1_jdhpc9z wrote

Reach out to them:

HA: How can residents submit ideas, thoughts, etc., on city nightlife to you?

CR: "Hopefully in the next few months there will be a centralized location on our website for you to, you know, give me what you want. You can always email me at corean.reynolds@boston.gov. I've gotten a lot of inquiries and feedback on Instagram, which is probably not the best way to contact me, but you can always email me."

https://www.wbur.org/news/2023/03/17/boston-nightlife-czar-corean-reynolds-st-patricks-day-newsletter-weekender

nluken t1_jdhx7cv wrote

It's a dagger for sure but you could get some improvement by encouraging businesses to extend their hours. For every bar that stays open til 2, there's another one that closes at or before midnight (on weekends no less!). If you can get those places to stay open later you can drastically improve late night options without any additional licenses.

Maxpowr9 t1_jdhy8e9 wrote

More licenses in more residential neighborhoods means people can walk home from bars and not have to worry as much about Ubers and trains/busses.

nluken t1_jdi0kt0 wrote

Yes I agree that more licenses is the solution, I just wanted to point out that there are some things the nightlife czar can do outside of that.

altorelievo t1_jdknkb4 wrote

After going to other cities (eg. NYC, Philadelphia, Chicago) there is a noticeable difference wrt the nightlife scene. I can't say I know all the details about will change or needs to change (pros/cons) besides the obvious of having now been able to hope around from Roxbury to East Boston to Allston to North End to Cambridge (not Boston but still) bar hopping and having a sick time

RhaenyrasUncle t1_jdi78aq wrote

The purpose of local politics is more often than not, to pass the buck up the ladder, than it is to actually get anything done unilaterally.

−5

altorelievo t1_jdo5s3b wrote

There's a bunch of places already!

Silver Slipper - only opened until afternoon, it's a breakfast diner. Bacon lovers do not pass this one by.

Yummy Yummy - I'll let a review pulled from their Google maps page explain "This place kept me alive during my childhood. The staff were nice and they were super generous with the $2 plates back in the day for a hungry teenage" Last time I was there in the Fall plates started at $4.50

Joe's American Subs - Steak & Cheese is one of the best I've ever had. I'd put Joe's up against Bob's in Medford and Leone's in Somerville any day.

itsonlyastrongbuzz t1_jdhx6n7 wrote

This is a once in a generation opportunity to create a new and diverse community with a substantial neighborhood identity and deep cultural roots.

There’s something fucking awesome about going to a Bodgega or restaurant in Eastie / Chelsea, a market or restaurant in Chinatown, walking through a feast in the North End, getting geeked out on Vietnamese coffee st Saigon Night Market, eating Pierogis to pure despair in the Polish Triangle, or ducking into a dark bar for a few pints in Southie.

And this should be no different at all.

I can see Nubian having just insane Afro-centric ingredients (okra, rice, jerk, etc). I imagine markets with fresh and raw ingredients catering to the recent African and Caribbean immigrants. I can hear late night jazz and blues bars and/or a book store / coffee shop that has slam poetry. Block parties with incredible food and dancing and music. Great late 19th and early 20th century architecture offset by murals. A sense of community and belonging and a proud identity. “Yes you’ve heard of Nubian Square, but from a travel blog, not the 6pm News with a backdrop of Police Tape.”

But this hinges on balance. Advocates were long hosting sit ins for more affordable housing, and are now back peddling against “concentrated poverty.”

This requires smart development, and a balance of outside help with buying in from the community.

I worry that the loudest will disguise their motives with “activism” (just like the loudest of the North End and South Boston) and ruin it.

But I’m honestly rooting for it because it adds an incredible dimension to the tapestry of Boston. A community with pride and prosperity benefits everyone.

EDIT: Fixed some grammar once I got responses.

CognacNCuddlin t1_jdjrja2 wrote

I’m the child of not-so recent immigrants who resided in Roxbury for decades. What you wrote sounds lovely. Based on living almost all my life here I know for certain that the sense of “community” will rely on the people. We can bring businesses, more housing, and more jobs to the area but if we aren’t fostering that sense of community, none of it will matter or it will eventually go to shit. It will take residents on an individual/household level and our city counselors, the schools, community leaders (activists, clergy), and the police (gasp, I went there!) to work together. I’m hopeful.

BobbyBrownsBoston t1_jdnkkjz wrote

Nubian Markets is about to open in the old Bartlett yards with Afro centric food and cafe and ready to go meals.

Should be open any day now.

Their IG: https://instagram.com/nubianmarkets?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Black Market Social needs to be granted a liquor license too.

Jazz urbane needs to open up by July

itsonlyastrongbuzz t1_jdnytzp wrote

This is awesome stuff.

How fucking lucky would we be to have access to incredibly unique and authentic ethnic food in Boston?

Sure we get some Moroccan here and there but African (sub Saharan in particular) is something way outside of peoples culinary vocabulary.

Thank you soo much for sharing.

I have soo much hope.

BobbyBrownsBoston t1_jdonbp1 wrote

Lotta good African spots and markets between Roxbury and Brockton. Not that uncommon in those areas. I’ve eaten much sub Saharan African- never had Moroccan.

Actually Suya Joint (West African) is right in Dudley Street. Now Casa Cafe (Cape Verdean) is too.

Obossa is my favorite Nigerian spot in Roslindale

thebiracialone t1_jdij6mq wrote

Am I the only one that still calls it Dudley Square? or..

Rough_Mission3547 t1_jdiyi7x wrote

It's hard to change after 60 years I went through there every day of high school, my friends of color still say meet me at dudley

hemingwai t1_jdjbt6q wrote

The only people who call it Nubian are woke white women from JP.

[deleted] t1_jdiq9hy wrote

[deleted]

−2

anurodhp t1_jdj5k1r wrote

There is literally no proof of any connection between Dudley and slavery. The Nubians however did keep slaves.

This has been beat to death. If you have any proof please post it

defenestron t1_jdjc0c6 wrote

>There is literally no proof of any connection between Dudley and slavery.

The 1641 Massachusetts Body of Liberties would like a word:

>Passage 91: "There shall never be any bond slaverie, villinage or Captivitie amongst us unles it be lawfull Captives taken in just warres, and such strangers as willingly selle themselves or are sold to us. And these shall have all the liberties and Christian usages which the law of god established in Israel concerning such persons doeth morally require. This exempts none from servitude who shall be Judged thereto by Authoritie."

As Mass.gov itself states:

>The first committee for the laws comprised of Governor John Haynes, Deputy-Governor Richard Bellingham, John Winthrop, and Thomas Dudley was formed to "frame a body of grounds of laws, in resemblance to a Magna Carta" (as recorded in John Winthrop's journal)

The National Park Service also provides more context to the decision to legalize slavery at this time in history.

Disclosure: I lived in Roxbury at the time and voted both times against renaming Dudley Square after a store (Nubian Notion) that hasn't existed in my lifetime. I felt and feel quite strongly this was a wasted opportunity to celebrate a deserving Boston figure of which there are many.

anurodhp t1_jdk0m6e wrote

A lot of people have tried to find a connection and there isn’t any . See globe article seek last paragraph.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2019/12/18/dudley-square-intersection-colonial-history-african-heritage/v80RJMzVlKh4gl3rQ8uJdN/story.html

“ I’ve really searched, and I’ve found no evidence that Dudley ever owned slaves,” Rushing said.

What is known is that Governor Dudley signed the Body of Liberties, a legal code presented to him by the General Court in 1641, which is used as evidence that Dudley sanctioned slavery in the fledgling colony.

However, Rushing said, the laws that he signed actually prohibited slavery, allowing for only a few exceptions, including keeping prisoners of war in bondage.

defenestron t1_jdk1bzh wrote

Did you even read your source?

> “I’ve really searched, and I’ve found no evidence that Dudley ever owned slaves,” Rushing said.

It is almost certain Dudley himself never owned slaves. However you argued that he had no connection to slavery. That claim is false and not supported by your article. You wrote:

> There is literally no proof of any connection between Dudley and slavery

The connection between Dudley and slavery is a matter of historical record echoed The Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the National Park Service and several other references I provided.

I think you’ve confused or mis-stated your argument. But thanks for the downvote. 🤷‍♂️

Edit: Holy stealth edit, Batman. You’re not arguing in good faith and completely changed your argument after actually deciding to read your own evidence. 🤟

anurodhp t1_jdkbkb6 wrote

Did you read the last paragraph where he signed laws opposing slavery? There is no historical record that he supported it. Your links do not say anything about Dudley just about the period in time. Did you even bother reading your own sources? Search for Dudley in the nps link.

I’m willing to be convinced but there is literally nothing just historical record that he supported it and direct records that he opposed slavery

Kitchen-Quality-3317 t1_jdjmhbh wrote

Not all black people are African-American though. There is a very large Nigerian population in the area. If you didn't know, Nigeria was of the main exporters of slaves during the trans-Atlantic slave trade. Much of their wealth was built off the back of slaves, so I doubt they care if it is called Dudley Square. Even in Lagos—Nigeria's largest city—there is Tinubu Square, named after a famous slave trader. There is even a statue of her there. Ironically, it was originally called independence square.

charons-voyage t1_jdkem55 wrote

Everyone owned slaves back then lol we would have to rename everything. All 5 Washington streets would need to be renamed! And don’t forget Washington Square in Brookline!

LIATG t1_jdhsmwc wrote

I'm glad the city is seeking our local people of colors for developers, but it does make me concerned to hear that as a solution for the community not feeling heard in previous development attempts. has a lot of potential to just be PR cover for gentrifying and shoving the existing community out

TheChickenWasDry t1_jdjuorj wrote

Yeah I’ll believe it when I see it, it’s not black people running from these areas when it gets developed, it’s them getting pushed and priced out by people who will ironically make a show of the horrors of gentrification.

altorelievo t1_jdlckad wrote

I think if there's a balance, with affordable housing it could be amazing. Up and down Washington and Blue Hill are billboards in empty lots showing the upcoming development that includes mandatory affordable housing quotas.

I see it in Chelsea and Eastie, bring it to Roxbury and Mattapan too. While loosening the bar restrictions and promote local artists and businesses/start-ups. It would change Boston to even better city for everybody.

cleancutmover t1_jdjgagj wrote

As soon as its gentrified and all the residents get kicked out.

TheChickenWasDry t1_jdjs5in wrote

The people who complain about gentrification are the ones who will never live or even visit these areas until it’s gentrified. I love seeing the wokest people I know complain about rent when they could just move to Mattapan, Roxbury, Hyde Park and save a ton but won’t ever consider it….until it’s gentrified.

cleancutmover t1_jdm33hf wrote

I worked with guys from Dorchester and Roxbury. One day I mentioned what the rent was ($1500/1 bedroom apt) for a unit we had just been in and they were shocked. It was $600 where they lived.

Zealousideal-Top4576 t1_jdk9pqy wrote

What makes this any different from what was known as an Irish based area in southie,or Italian based in north end when it becomes the " cool" place to live and gentrification pushes everyone from the area out.

RhaenyrasUncle t1_jdi6zu7 wrote

Yes, but they need to stop "blacking out" everything.

By the same logic that black folks claim they dont feel comfortable in white-majority spaces, white folks do not feel comfortable in black-majority spaces. If they want true economic benefit, stop segregating the neighborhood with labels like this.

Make it an inclusive and comfortable space for a diverse range of Bostonians.

zumera t1_jdia2br wrote

>By the same logic that black folks claim they dont feel comfortable in white-majority spaces, white folks do not feel comfortable in black-majority spaces.

I'd argue it's not the same logic at all. The general reason black people might not feel comfortable is completely different from the reason white people might not feel comfortable.

Kitchen-Quality-3317 t1_jdjmvaj wrote

It is the same logic. Black people fear they will be targeted by the police and white people fear they'll be victims of violent crime. Of course, that's an oversimplification, but it 's certainly one of the largest worries.

TheChickenWasDry t1_jdjwgmp wrote

Black people aren’t afraid of being in white spaces, that’s something woke shit stirrers say to obfuscate the fact black people were priced out of their neighborhoods.

Mt8045 t1_jdm0u75 wrote

The fact that this has been upvoted at all is disturbing and sadly not surprising. Is the name “Nubian” really that scary? Is Cape Verdean and soul food really that intimidating? Is the mere sight of too many black people really that intolerable to you?

altorelievo t1_jdkwzkc wrote

Having frequented a lot of the neighborhoods from Blue Hill, MLK/Dudley, Washington, Seaver, Columbia, Morton, Dorchester, Talbot, Norfolk (my street knowledge flex 😏)

While yes their are events that are literally called "The Black Out" & "The Black Affair" are people really asking for for their community to stop/change these? Having far fewer areas where the community is able to put these together coupled with the issues of growing positive cultural identity after years of abuse. Finally being allowed to be promote pride (70yrs one generation) thus stepsaking progress, hopefully addressing broken family patterns and gun violence. We can't have both? Where events that are more mixed and feel more welcoming and then maintain other events the way they are? Honestly that's subjective anyways, just don't but fr experience you can go.

About safety too, as long as you're not selling fetanyl or crack or whatever you should be fine. I'm positive that there are troubled areas for every ethnic group where if you flaunt wealth or are selling narcotics you are opening yourself up to a wide range of trouble.

Puzzleheaded_Okra_21 t1_jdj78pz wrote

"white folks do not feel comfortable in black-majority spaces" Only racists would make such claim.

−8

TheChickenWasDry t1_jdju7ah wrote

Or somebody honest, why is a city as progressive as Boston still so segregated? Why aren’t you living where the rent is cheaper if safety and comfort is not an issue? And I mean before the area is gentrified.

BobbyBrownsBoston t1_jdnl365 wrote

Market rate Rents not cheaper in the black neighborhoods. There no available housing for anyone that isn’t already plugged into the social ecosystem of those neighborhoods

-cochise t1_jdnvmdn wrote

It’s not just Boston, people willfully self-segregate just about everywhere you go.

IslandinTime t1_jdjh2ex wrote

Place is looking good going into the spring. Lively and fun so far.

Gloomy_Strike6379 t1_jdk18z0 wrote

Call it Nubian Square. Not Dudley square now white people will move in and black people won’t be able to afford Dudley anymore.. .

Nice_Leadership8027 t1_jdlyw9c wrote

Aka price people out out going to local venues

BobbyBrownsBoston t1_jdnlsul wrote

White people have scared you into not wanting new entertainment and cultural venues developed by native Roxburyians…wow, sad.

Stop being scared of your own shadow and understand you deserve better

[deleted] t1_jdhkog9 wrote

[deleted]

−8

particular-potatoe t1_jdi12eq wrote

Have you been to Nubian recently? There are a ton of new condos nearby. It still needs more but there is quite a lot of development over there.

[deleted] t1_jdi18zo wrote

[deleted]

−1

altorelievo t1_jdlc78j wrote

If you travel up and down Blue Hill Ave and Washington St. look around there are empty lots. In the past these were epitome of urban decay but now there are large boards with structural designs of the coming property development. I'm not sure who's funding it (I believe a combination of State and Private interests) but I do know it's split affordable housing.

Check out Egleston Sq. for a balanced progressive neighborhood. It has a cool mix of affordable housing and new condos. Handful of local Bodegas/Haciendas and also new businesses. Cutting down Talbot St., Savin Hill is getting built up too.

It's not happening as fast as I'd want but it is happening. I don't think Boston is getting enough credit in this way. Possibly slow concerted planning to get it right, no second chances.

Having lived in the PNW, Portland OR & Seattle WA. They have walkable neighborhoods spread throughout the city, especially Portland. Where trendy local eateries, bars, and various other coffee shops, breweries, and artists have shops and businesses. I am aware that they've benefited heavily from transplants and investors flooding in from all over the country, especially California and specifically San Francisco. Seeing it as an affordable and hip area to invest but Boston has a much more difficult position getting certain neighborhoods planned and developed. Where sure we have the Seaport but Roxbury is a stark difference and this is the main difference between. Sure they have high income areas but overall there's a balance of many thriving neighborhoods.

I wish they would promote and invite people from all over the country, but more practically just New England. Having more inclusion with locals teaming up with other entrepreneurs and artists as well as State funded Architectural projects and Parks, it would be amazing seeing Nubian caught up and on par with a lot of the other areas. Boston is a diverse world-class city, has a lot going for it already but there are still problems and I really think there's not nearly as much focus on it that it deserves. I truly think if Boston puts the focus here the long overdue development will launch Boston in a league of its own as a leader in the US.

BobbyBrownsBoston t1_jdnlmqi wrote

Boston has hella black people though, in the city. Seattle and Portland do not. That has historically driven divestment and scared off investment. Until he pandemic Boston had a much higher violent crime rate and concentrations of generational poverty.

It also has a liquor license cap.

That’s why it’s been hard to turn these neighborhoods around. They were extreeeeemly blighted at their lowest and it’s taken a long time to revitalize these neighborhoods just to this point.

Take a look at this video of Roxbury around 1980- it was super rough. https://youtu.be/tjtYIWdK2aE

altorelievo t1_jdnq6bw wrote

Yeah, hindsight my comment comes too idealistic. I didn't factor in demographics as a variable that could affect investment, sadly this also is part of my naivety.

I am aware of 1980's Roxbury, I lived just north of Boston Everett/Malden at the time. Those "empty lots" I mentioned all over Blue Hill and Washington, yeah I know these were not great places to be at that time. Progress, is stagnant empty grass lots but it's better than abandoned buildings with rampant drug use in each one. In short time, if done right these will revitalize the area and bring Boston into a new era.

Swayz t1_jdjjkfu wrote

Keeping South Boston Irish is bad but any other ethnicity group is protected. South Boston is not even that Irish anymore anyway tho but I love the hypocrisy. With that said. I wish nothing but the upmost prosperity for the Nubian Square and any black business owner that sets up shop there