Submitted by vinvin212 t3_124yova in boston

I've been riding the commuter rail from Quincy Center > South Station > Ruggles and back for work while the red line slow zones have enabled me to do so without additional fare, twice a week. Today a conductor told me that was soon ending (which left me speechless because the red line does NOT seem like it's getting better anytime soon...). I've decided I can't go back to the subway, it's just too slow compared to the commuter rail, even with the transfer at South Station.

A Zone 1 pass is too expensive ($214) for just going into the city and back twice a week, so I was trying to determine other options.

I get a monthly stipend from work to spend on commuting ($100) that I hadn't used for March, so I went into the CR app and purchased a bunch of one-way tickets for Zones 1 and 1A so I can use these when they start making me pay, and so I can utilize the March stipend without wasting it. The tickets don't expire until June, so I stocked up on 12 tickets each for QC > SS and SS > Ruggles.

But then I realized I bought them only in that direction. I assume I can use a SS > Ruggles (and same for Quincy) ticket if I ride from Ruggles to SS, correct? At least I'm hoping I'm correct... If not, I can use my April stipend to buy for the reverse direction.

Anyone else trying to find ways to change from the subway to the commuter rail without going broke?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

CarefulEggshell t1_je1k9vy wrote

Yes, what matters is the zone of the m Ticket, not the direction. I think the app to purchase tickets is set up like that (select start and end stop) to make it easier for people, but when you activate the ticket it only shows the zone. You’ll be fine!

Rabl t1_je1kqje wrote

Commuter Rail tickets are just by zone, not direction. A ticket from Zone 1 to South Station is also a ticket from South Station to Zone 1.

Tickets also aren't restricted to a particular line. If you want to use your tickets for a trip out of North Station, you can do that, too.

Also, why did you buy both 1 and 1A tickets?

vinvin212 OP t1_je1l9bn wrote

I assumed so, but had to ask since the app lists the starting and end station right on top.

I bought both because QC > SS is Zone 1 but SS > Ruggles is Zone 1A, which is cheaper. Was that no necessary?

Rabl t1_je1ncxr wrote

If you use the M-Ticket app, the Zone 1 ticket might still be active for the duration of the transfer. If you bought paper tickets, you probably have to do it your way.

vinvin212 OP t1_je1njdf wrote

Thanks for that info - I’ll keep that in mind for the future. I didn’t know they were valid for a period of time/transfer.

weco308 t1_je1sfr0 wrote

The MBTA website lists a "5-Day Flex Pass" Scroll down, it's at the bottom of passes.

"Get five 1-day passes for a 10% discount compared to round-trip travel 1-day passes valid for 24 hours of unlimited travel."

The way you describe what you are buying, this may be a fit for you. You effectively buy a Zone 1 day pass, ride inbound from QC to SS, then outbound from SS to Ruggles, on one ticket, then back.

vinvin212 OP t1_je25tv9 wrote

Thank you! I saw this option and will likely use it in the future, but since it expires within 30 days and they are still letting riders on for “free” due to the slow zones, I didn’t want to buy it for next month.

dyqik t1_je2xbp9 wrote

The other trick with flex passes is that if your schedule is a little flexible, you can get three one-way commutes on one 24 hour pass, three times in a week, and top up with a single on Friday afternoon.

AlarmingMuffin77 t1_je37utr wrote

When is "soon?" Didn't realize there was already an end date on letting charliecard holders ride for free (curse you MBTA!)

vinvin212 OP t1_je3ctkc wrote

Not sure, he didn’t sound certain. Second conductor today that didn’t know what was going on. I know they’re two entities, but it’s one transit authority - there should be a memo.