Submitted by Angri_1999 t3_yikosp in boston

So Trader Joe’s, as Trader Joe’s does, discontinued my usual coffee. I’m looking for recommendations for a good local roaster/source. (I’d rather shop local, but I’m open to any reasonable quality)

• Medium roast preferred, or even medium-light (it was an espresso roast)
  • strong/robust but not charred and not acidic flavor
  • freshly roasted and/or nitrogen sealed to prevent rancidity
  • whole bean or ground both ok
  • Easy to buy when working downtown - anything within a 10 min walk from Copley (W) to South Station (E) is fair game
  • Alternately: partnered with/sold at local grocery stores (Star, Market Basket, etc.)

I just want something good and easy to put in my drip pot.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

hatersbelearners t1_iuj6ees wrote

You can pick up George Howell downtown. They roast some of their stuff medium. Also widely available at whole foods in the area.

Angri_1999 OP t1_iuj70gd wrote

I think it’s also available at Clover Food Labs, and there’s one in the Financial District I can get to.

Thanks for the reminder (can’t think, no coffee) I do like their coffee!

dannikilljoy t1_iuj7d5f wrote

Pavement coffee: they're fully unionized, local as hell, have shops all over the city and sell online: https://pavementcoffeehouse.com/

Angri_1999 OP t1_iujet8j wrote

Where all over the city is pretty much at or west of Mass Ave ;)

It’d be a hike, but worth checking out in person (to decide on a coffee/try it out) before going to online orders (so easy!)

dannikilljoy t1_iujfxbd wrote

Their Newbury Street location is pretty close to copely station. (3 blocks west and 1 north)

Angri_1999 OP t1_iuji0rc wrote

I think it’s at least 15 min from back bay (I work east of back bay) so I’d probably plan on going a day when it’s ok to get into work a bit late & leave late.

−2

dannikilljoy t1_iujjmsu wrote

ah yeah totally fair i was going mostly based on your 10 minute walk from copley boundary

oneblackened t1_iuj7dov wrote

If you want something like the TJ's "Barista blend" which is what I assume you had (given your reference to "medium-light espresso")... I'd probably just buy Lavazza of some sort and call it a day. That's going to be the most similar to what you were drinking. Hell I think the Barista blend was Lavazza Super Crema, rebranded.

Anyway if you want something better, George Howell at the Godfrey in DTX is probably the move. Dota Vienna Roast or Alchemy Espresso would probably be up your alley.

Angri_1999 OP t1_iujdzzw wrote

Better is better.

I think it was the Barista Blend and it was a) easy to get and b) drinkable. Everything I’ve tried since that was easy is undrinkable, so it’s time to put a little more $ and effort in, and get something good.

nonitalic t1_iuj8h5h wrote

Grace Note has a location near South Station.

Angri_1999 OP t1_iujdlyt wrote

Thanks! Any recommendations?

nonitalic t1_iujgdi3 wrote

I'd stick with Central/South American coffees if you like a more traditional coffee flavor (ie not super fruity). If the regular roasts are too acidic for you, give their espresso roasts a try. They're going to be much lighter than anything labeled espresso in a grocery store. Same goes for George Howell.

Angri_1999 OP t1_iujhqsj wrote

Makes sense, an americano from there is my guilty pleasure when I commute into South Station.

No-Firefighter4178 t1_iujgg4p wrote

That's such a wonderful question:) Some options are:

1. Happy Bean Roaster at Copley's Farmer's market (Tuesdays and Fridays)
  2. Little Wolf Coffee! You can find it at Kohi Coffee near South Station
  3. Broadsheet Coffee not too far from Inman Square but you can also find it at some Whole Foods)
  4. El colombiano coffee (Monumental Market in JP and also available at Brookline Farmer's market)

Happy shopping!

Angri_1999 OP t1_iujhghk wrote

I’ve had a cup Little Wolf on my way into work - I asked about their brewed coffee and was told that the [forgotten bean type/blend name] from Mexico was a medium roast. It tasted like nothing but charcoal to me… is this typical, or did I get a bad cup?

No-Firefighter4178 t1_iujiwqu wrote

oh no! I am sorry you had a bad experience. I am afraid you got a bad cup. Little Wolf makes fantastic coffee. Chris the owner takes a lot of pride in his work and always wants all patrons to enjoy his coffee. Please try it again :)

StuckinSuFu t1_iuj8fjc wrote

Speedwell in Plymouth is who we buy beans from for home and same place our coffee shop uses.

Angri_1999 OP t1_iujf6gj wrote

They seem to ship, but is Plymouth their only store? They list B2B sales but not the stores offering it…

StuckinSuFu t1_iujfphm wrote

I buy it from The Fuller Cup in Winchester when I'm in the area otherwise I order online. Personally use mostly the Nine Bar Espresso. But I've tried a few drip coffee beans and been happy as well

davewritescode t1_iujeq2e wrote

I like Atomic Roasters up in Salem and Gracenote is good too!

glennfuriamcdonald t1_iujjkx9 wrote

I'm a big fan of New Harvest, who are in Providence but sold at Whole Foods...

Anustart15 t1_iuja9u3 wrote

You should be able to buy pretty much anything roasted locally if your frame of reference is trader Joe's coffee. It's not terrible, but most local stuff will be head and shoulders above it

Angri_1999 OP t1_iujdir9 wrote

There was 1 kind I found drinkable … now down to 0.

I picked up some at a coffee shop in Sudbury I like, but I only go there when I visit my dentist (so once every 6 months) but that ran out. So I tried a recommended “premium” brand from Costco that ended up being undrinkable.

[deleted] t1_iujql9l wrote

[deleted]

Angri_1999 OP t1_iujrrr2 wrote

Thanks - their federal street location isn’t too far out of my way.

riski_click t1_iujfm5x wrote

If you're interested, you can also buy green beans from someone (Len's in Medford will ship or do pick up) and practice some stove-top roasting with a korean-style ceramic roaster (they're like $25 online).

caveat: you have to blow the chaff off during the roasting process, so unless you can lean out a window or keep going out the back door while you're roasting, this might not work for you..

Angri_1999 OP t1_iujiiem wrote

I have less than 0 time, so while this is interesting, it falls into the category of things I’m never going to find time to do 😅

I’d like to drink good coffee & support local business, but I was doing neither of those because the Trader Joe’s blend I had was good-enough and I could throw a bag in the cart when I was there.

riski_click t1_iujlkq4 wrote

fair enough, then I'm going to suggest George Howell in DTX. It's probably within a 10 minute walk from South Station, and they have a really good selection. Try the Tarrazu French Roast to start, that's my go-to, and it's also their cheapest at like $15/bag.

George Howell started Coffee Connection, which was our Starbucks in Boston before Starbucks bought them out..

cyclejones t1_iujpg1v wrote

Dean's Beans.

He just had to raise his prices to keep up with supply chain costs, and his email apologizing to his customers for the price increase was so heartfelt it hurt. Still cheaper than every other micro-roaster who has shrinkflated to 12oz bags while he still does whole pounds.

DynamicDolo t1_iujud4g wrote

Barrington would be worth a look. They sort of specialize in Indonesian coffees, but for what they are, they're generally exquisite. They do some Single Origins from East Africa and S. America too, but I have a feeling you'd like their offerings.

Side note, Cafe Fixe (in Brookline and JP) serves this coffee, but there are actual Barrington locations in Boston. Fixe also has other bulk beans for sale that are generally regionally local and are always great too.

spewaskew t1_iuk5l65 wrote

Look into Equal Exchange. They are local (West Bridgewater) and are fair trade and employee owned. You can order from their site.

mishakhill t1_iuj5ar2 wrote

J.P. Licks roasts their own, they have a wide range of varieties. Not sure how the inventory is downtown vs in J.P.

oneblackened t1_iuj7g6f wrote

JP Licks roasts their stuff into oblivion. I made the mistake of getting a capp from there once and it was just pure ash and charcoal.

mediaguide2 t1_iuk8ewk wrote

I can’t believe it but I had Panera dark roast twice in the last few days and it was the best coffee I’ve ever had. And I’ve tasted a lot of coffee. I think it has something to do with the organic purity of the coffee. It was that good.