Submitted by quasi-easement t3_zxe21n in boston

Hi all! I’m wondering if anyone has any recommendations of where to go for non traditional wedding outfits! I’m non binary and haven’t decided if I want to do suit, dress, or something in between. Anyone have any ideas where I could look in Boston that has some variety? Maybe tailored suits that fit small women, a jumpsuit, or even a dress that isn’t tooooo much like a wedding dress etc.

Bonus points: I’m very small so a place that skews petite would be even better!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

soft_butch t1_j201fsy wrote

Butch lesbian here - I got my wedding suit off the rack at Express (in the women's section) and had minor tailoring done. Spent <$200 total for a crop top suit jacket and matching pants in white.

LauraPalmersMom430 t1_j1zsgj6 wrote

If you end up wanting to go the Suit route highly recommend 9Tailors! They are absolutely wonderful there and make custom suits for all genders and sizes in awesome colors too! Had a best friend use them for their wedding as a petite person and they were so happy!

https://shop9tailors.square.site/

StudioBrighton t1_j1zvsfj wrote

As a very petite person, you're going to have a much easier time planning on having alterations than trying to find something that already fits. When I did my dress shopping, I budgeted 50% of my dress total for alterations and 50% for the dress itself.

&#x200B;

As far as suggestions - I didn't really encounter places when I was dress shopping that had wedding dresses and suits. If you're looking for non-traditional, you could go to The Garment District in Cambridge. I think to get better answers, you might need to narrow down what you want. Super fancy? Vintage? Is there at least a general aesthetic you're shooting for?

quasi-easement OP t1_j20u0hk wrote

Thanks! My comment regarding petite is more so that I went to try on dressed but they didn’t have anything smaller than a 8-10 and I’m a 0-2 so it was impossible to even tell if I liked anything since it couldn’t fit me even when it was clamped. Would love to be able to try things in closer to my size range so I can get a feel!!

I would say the aesthetic is simple and elegant but not necessarily fancy. I don’t like all the frills and stuff. Something that is sleek would be ideal. I’m doing a spring wedding in the desert so that’s the general vibe!

Acceptable_Tourist_4 t1_j22jeul wrote

Petite woman here. If you’re looking for dress-shop level formal, try Bloomingdale’s or similar. They’d be more likely to have an assortment of sizes off the rack. And I just googled “bridal pantsuit” images and besides it being so inspiring, there were a few cute styles specifically at Bloomy’s. I love the variety of options, and they’re far more than just basic white suits. And my gosh the jumpers are great.

chudmcdudly t1_j21ftny wrote

Hive & Colony will tailor make a suit to almost any specification you desire.

Not cheap, ~2 month turnaround time, but high quality, & uniquely you.

scolfin t1_j21qizk wrote

If you want "nontraditional," how about a free pair of bluejeans from Facebook Marketplace?

−8