Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

On_The_Contrary_24 t1_j7lmrg8 wrote

This looks exactly like some of my x-Ray spectroscopy data I studied in graduate school. Uncanny. Take a line out of this using ImageJ and analyze it!

Cough_Geek OP t1_j7lnor5 wrote

Interesting - do you have some image to share which resembles cough's scalogram, just out of curiosity?

On_The_Contrary_24 t1_j7lp5j6 wrote

Hard to find a solid link that isn’t paywalled (most peer reviewed work is). You can google “x-ray spectroscopy z-pinch film UNR” and check out images. Won’t look as pretty as yours, our film was black and white.

imnotreel t1_j7ndzve wrote

>DataIsBeautiful is for visualizations that effectively convey information. Aesthetics are an important part of information visualization, but pretty pictures are not the sole aim of this subreddit.

Meanwhile in r/dataisbeautiful : a random scalogram of a cough audio recording with no title, no axes labels, no color bar, big ass empty margins and zero annotations or description what so ever gets hundreds of upvotes ...

Cough_Geek OP t1_j7p8vdh wrote

I appreciate your feedback very much - as work on cough analysis continues, all following interesting visuals will come addressing your points!

mizinamo t1_j7ljef0 wrote

Is the "lonely" supposed to be "lowly"?

(Since you seem to be contrasting it with "rich".)

Cough_Geek OP t1_j7lltw5 wrote

Good one haha! For a cough, that is lonely and rich - it is likely just a matter of time for another one to appear; then they are counted and depicted as cough bursts!

michiganfan101 t1_j7ndyq0 wrote

Ooh pretty colors. Doesn't mean anything since nothing is labeled, but I suppose you could try to sell it to a modern art museum

Judge_gerg t1_j7lufk6 wrote

Every time I shift my focus to a different part of this image, the periphery looks like it's shrinking. So much so, that I had to check if it was a GIF or a video.

Cough_Geek OP t1_j7lw16x wrote

Impressive effect, I agree! Better be aware of those coughs and their dynamics irl before it gets worse!

Cough_Geek OP t1_j7kucf7 wrote

[OC] audio collected through a smartphone cough monitoring application. Audio to visual scalogram generated in R (wavelet transform), decomposing the signal into frequencies. Purple background allows to see where the explosive peak of a cough sound happens, with the vocal phase of a cough following as trailing bright spots.

joev714 t1_j7lseby wrote

It most likely doesn’t matter, but which wavelet did you use

Cough_Geek OP t1_j7lylto wrote

Thanks for this great question - complex-valued Mexican hat mother wavelet here, used this implementation of synchrosqueezing: https://github.com/OverLordGoldDragon/ssqueezepy

mrbrambles t1_j7mble9 wrote

What is your goal in processing? I used to do a lot of image processing with wavelets, so curious on how much is applicable knowledge here. In images, edge/feature detection and smoothing are some of the main goals.

cyan-pink-duckling t1_j7nmi4r wrote

For starters, this can be an efficient way to set up voice activation. Sound signals are generally temporally compact, and somewhat sparse in Mexican hat basis.

Baixst t1_j7m7fav wrote

I would like to see some labels on both axis, especially the time-axis. I found the scalogram to be problematic for audiosignal that are a few seconds long.

Cough_Geek OP t1_j7ma19d wrote

Agree with labels, that would look more professional, in this case - thought of sharing it as a piece of art. By the way - thanks so much for giving an elaborate reply on the differences in colours - very much appreciate that!

mrbrambles t1_j7mat01 wrote

Why not a Fourier transform? I’m many years out of practice but is a wavelet transform just for computational speed or are you specifically trying to accentuate certain qualities?

Edit read your other reply - nice

Financial-Jicama6619 t1_j7lwoqs wrote

Am I the only one who sees this moving? Coulda swore I was watching a video…

Cough_Geek OP t1_j7lxkf2 wrote

This is so cool! There was another user mentioning the same effect!

moorsmith t1_j7lyjsj wrote

u/Cough_Geek do they come in any other colours?

Cough_Geek OP t1_j7lzs66 wrote

To tell you the truth - coughs are super colourful! Usually people are not used to pay attention to cough in general, and this is about to change big time! And in regards to the visual - another example in different colours here: https://ibb.co/7VXJm79

iuliancirco t1_j7kvrwo wrote

Pretty looking thing. Do the different colors mean anything?

Frunzli t1_j7kx38z wrote

I believe that color represents loudness, he X axis time and Y frequeny.

Baixst t1_j7m6rfx wrote

The scalorgram shows the power distribution over time and frequency of a given signal. So in a sense you can say that the colors represente how strongly a frequency (y-axis) is present at a point in time (x-axis).

SolTarot t1_j7nm669 wrote

Looks like a big dick and balls