Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

st4n13l t1_j85ik1y wrote

Where's the link? Also, is there a statistical reason to believe that where you currently live is a significant predictor of divorce?

greenglasstree t1_j85rje8 wrote

There is, because of the "grass is greener" effect.

In places where divorce is rare, married people are less likely to want divorce because the odds of finding someone to date after the divorce are slim.

In places where divorce is common, there is a large pool of divorced people whom you could potentially date if you choose to divorce.

So divorce causes more divorce.

You'd think that in places where divorce is rare, that the average marital satisfaction is low, because unhappy couples choose to stay married because of the dearth of options if they divorce. But in reality, in places where divorce is common, the average marital satisfaction is low, because married people see all sorts of divorced people every day, some of them being attractive individuals.

st4n13l t1_j85yhk1 wrote

>In places where divorce is rare, married people are less likely to want divorce because the odds of finding someone to date after the divorce are slim.

>In places where divorce is common, there is a large pool of divorced people whom you could potentially date if you choose to divorce.

While that logically makes sense, do you know of any research that covers this specifically?

greenglasstree t1_j864je1 wrote

I read it in an economics book. I don't remember the name of it.

datawrestler OP t1_j85j7ju wrote

The link is in the first comment. While this is me just talking and to answer your question more precisely would require a much bigger effort outside the scope of the summary statistics calculator, but it is likely there are network effects to divorce. If you are in a community where divorce is frequent and discussed, it is a more visible option. A community may also make it more culturally acceptable in a high divorce rate area. And folks may be drawn to certain cultural norms to begin with when choosing an area to live. Just riffing some thoughts.

−8

st4n13l t1_j85qr9w wrote

Weird. For some reason I don't see any comments other than mine and your response to me

LanewayRat t1_j85quux wrote

Where does the data come from? Where is Beaverly Hills City? Is it fictitious? Is this just a pile of crap?