Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

fallen-soul_ t1_jdradik wrote

Hey, I'm from Paris.

>I’m guessing apartments in Paris are mostly small to tiny.

objectively speaking (and relative to other cities in the world), I think you can say that. I'll speak for central Paris, since that's where I and most of my friends so far have lived.

Studios go from 8m² to 20m², the majority being between 8-15m², mostly inhabited by students or young professionals. It might sound crazy, but within that category a big number of studios are in the 8-10m² and are still in high demand: usually they have a bed, a tiny sink, hot plate and shower, and the toilet is outside and shared; we still call them "maiden rooms", as they used to have that purpose back then, and they're usually on the last floor of a typical parisian ("Haussmanien") building.

I'd say 1-bedroom apartments usually range from 20m² to 30m² - from that surface upwards, the vast majority have their own bathroom - , and 2-bedroom apartments (maybe the most common type, I'm not sure) anywhere from 30m² to 70-80m². I've lived with my parents in a 45m² 2-bedroom apartment my entire life so far and I'm moving out soon (guess why... lol); the kitchen and bathroom are not counted as rooms, only bedrooms and living rooms are. Currently, 45m² 2-bdrm flats can cost from €400k to €600k in central Paris, maybe even €700k in the most expensive areas, it's completely fucking nuts. 3 adults can barely live together in such a small surface.

DataMan62 t1_jdtodqn wrote

Wow! More severe conditions than I expected, but are the prices you mentioned, and on the chart, prices to buy? We call that a condominium. I was under the impression the chart was monthly rent. We refer to rental units as apartments.

fallen-soul_ t1_jduj4qs wrote

yes the chart is monthly rent, and the prices I gave are prices to buy indeed. We don't rent our apartment, so I'm more aware of sale prices for that category.

Btw when I say central Paris, I'm talking about the area within the perimeter of the ring road we call périphérique, so less than a 5-6km (3-3.5mi) distance from Notre Dame