Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

xclord t1_irfbife wrote

Interesting, but I'm not sure it's a great guage for judging the quality of a streaming service. I don't know a lot of people really hoping to snag a few views of Hamlet or many of the other shows on HBO Max.

Itsdickyv t1_irfd875 wrote

It’s also inaccurate if you’re one of the dozens of people who don’t live in the USA either. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Clemario OP t1_irfdhl1 wrote

Depends on what you're looking for. I tend to appreciate these sort of classic highbrow movies and I have a long-term goal to watch all the Best Picture winners (which is what lead me to collect this data). A few weeks ago I watched Bridge on the River Kwai for the first time and found it amazing how well it held up despite being over 60 years old.

hot_seltzer t1_iriwfv5 wrote

Makes sense from a brand positioning perspective. HBO being oriented around prestige TV, HBO max would probably want to be in a similar place.

ManicSheogorath t1_irhacu7 wrote

Paramount Plus is really just happy to be invited

Ballbox t1_is8yj8e wrote

I got it to watch the big brother cams, but never really found anything else on there I wanted to watch. I already canceled it.

Clemario OP t1_irf91a0 wrote

Streaming services included are those available in the US with at least 10M subscribers featuring full-length movies from major studios.

TimeToSackUp t1_irftred wrote

Thanks for the list!
Just a note. Peacock should be listed as Peacock Premium.

double_shadow t1_irfxv3l wrote

It's that sweet TCM tie-in (which has a TON of other great stuff, beyond the Oscar winners here). Really hope that HBO never loses this catalog, especially with the coming merger.

Party_Tour_4651 t1_irhfm8b wrote

HBO max is easily my favorite service and this just goes to show how great it is.

Trust me no is as shocked as me.

jramos13 t1_irffvzg wrote

Damn, Apple is batting 1.000.

mutedvibrance t1_irfhz91 wrote

Apple may only have one but they are the first and only streaming service to win a best picture Oscar with their movie CODA.

As for whether I think the movie deserves that Oscar? That’s a different story.

jramos13 t1_irfi7al wrote

Yeah, batting 1.000 is really good. I guess this isn't really apparent lol.

thatc0lin t1_irfz8cq wrote

Doesnt Amazon Prime have all of these movies?

Clemario OP t1_irg2p6f wrote

I guess I should have clarified— these are what’s available included with the monthly subscription fee.

If you pay for individual rentals these are almost all available streaming on Amazon or YouTube.

ichsagedir t1_irhtnls wrote

For which country is this? America?

BobbyFloridaFungi t1_irjj6eg wrote

Yes it is. But so thought Slumdog was a “Baliwood” film or however they spell films from India. It was referred to as a “crossover hit” if I recall? (

[deleted] t1_irilp82 wrote

Prime video has the two Goodfather movies too

Elliott_architect t1_irfj1v4 wrote

It'll be changed tommorow

Clemario OP t1_irg3iwt wrote

To be honest I collected this data 2 days ago, it could be different today.

ardiento t1_irfk5hm wrote

Next do tv series with Emmy awards on Streaming services. Would be even better with categories such as drama, comedy, and so on.

BikingVikingNick t1_irfnlq6 wrote

Most, if not all of those movies have been on either netflix or hulu at some point.

B18021 t1_iri193k wrote

Why is mubi not in this list?

MaltVariousMarzipan t1_iri3hwc wrote

I think I've read somewhere in r/bestof that HBO has their own studio and warehouse, hence there's more time and effort used on quality compared to the pressures and logistics issues other platforms are facing whenever it's their turn to film something.

LoneByrd25 t1_irilkny wrote

HBO max is the clear king

letsgomark t1_irj1yzu wrote

Totally depends when and where. Our EU Netflix has many of the movies on those other services.

BobbyFloridaFungi t1_irjil0t wrote

Now I wish I was 20 again. I’ve seen most of these at least three (3) times since they’ve been around for several decades on average

leirbriseadh t1_irfpdnl wrote

"Best Picture" doesn't mean people are watching it...

shiner820 t1_irffhr0 wrote

This would be more useful if Oscar winners were actually good movies.

−2

Clemario OP t1_irfi4ac wrote

Perhaps the MTV Movie Awards would be more to your liking. The Twilight series won Best Movie 4 years in a row 2009-2012.

bentodd1 t1_irfwyld wrote

Always remember, if it wins an Oscar your probably don’t want to see that movie.

−6