Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Youcantholdmedown99 t1_it748az wrote

This is literally the number one threat to human beings. I know you all have hordes of firecrackers in your closet. Go throw them away immediately before we all die a horrible death.

Lukasz123x t1_it7f0y8 wrote

Cigarretes produce 84 million tones of CO2 every year, while fireworks in the US produce... 66512 tones of CO2 every year, now lets be VERY generous and let's say we multiply it by 25 (since USA's population is around 300 mil, 300mil*25) aand.. you get 1.6628 million tones (as a hyperbole, since I don't think fireworks are quite as used in Africa and some countries in Asia, and in most countries they aren't used as heavily as in the USA). Just additional information

H_Lunulata t1_it78dtv wrote

I give points for the interesting method of comparison. I've never seen pollution measured in units of cigarettes before.

This presentation brings questions to my mind. A standard fireworks presentation might have 200 individual fireworks, so if we take the middle of the chart there and multiply by 200 we get about 5.5 million ug/m3 (about 260k cigs).

At the same time, how many people are watching and smoking? India has a smoking rate of about 27%, so if 100k people are watching and the average amount of smokers have 2 or 3 cigs during the show (say, 2.5 on average), that's just under 68k cigarettes.

The actual cigarette smoking is *still* significant relative to the fireworks. Also, firework pollution is going to be largely at altitude I'd expect (** I don't know, maybe in India they set off those giant-ass crowd pleasers at ground level, but where I am, they don't **) whereas actual smoking pollution is in the faces of the other 73% of the crowd watching.

What this means, realistically, is that while fireworks pollute, it's smokers' pollution you mostly breathe at a fireworks show, but let's face it... anything you inhale at a fireworks show is probably not good for you.

TTT_2k3 t1_it769vl wrote

You're gonna stand there, showin’ off this graphic, and tell me you don't have no whistlin' bungholes, no spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser?

PowerKrazy t1_it9wic5 wrote

Meanwhile one minute of a car running at idle is around 150liter's of 2.5pm pollution. So it really seems like fireworks aren't even worth considering.

LeatherHedgehog1113 t1_it7puog wrote

Ah yes, only Diwali crackers pollute. Interesting comparison would be with 4th of July, new year eve and Diwali. Even before diwali, the AQI of Delhi is 399 if I remember correctly, but we won't talk about that now, will we?

Striking-Penalty7143 t1_itd70wr wrote

Basically any Hindu related celebration needs to be criticized for the sake of the environment. Please ignore the pools of blood from eid, the deforestation from jesus freaks in December etc. We cannot rest until every Hindu event ceases to be preserved and celebrated.

MePiyush OP t1_it70okz wrote

Human beings inhale 11,000 litres of air daily. And if this air is polluted, it can do much damage. According to research, burning firecrackers produces exceptionally high levels of PM2.5 pollutants -- akin to smoking hundreds of cigarettes daily -- that can have adverse health effects.

Designed using Adobe Illustrator.

Data Source: Chest Research Foundation, Pune, India; Berkeley Earth, USA

Zyphergiest t1_it8266d wrote

So op is basically saying don't celebrate your festival because you pollute the air. He also means don't celebrate Christmas because you should not cause deforestation. Don't celebrate Eid because you should not kill animals. Fuck off Op.

DanceSD123 t1_it9vnvr wrote

OP is doing data analysis. You are making conclusions, and apparently don’t like the conclusions you come to.

loosecatalyst t1_itb2mbv wrote

Data analysis starts with an intent and a conclusion to display. The intent is not appreciated.

thiccnchonky t1_it7tqb6 wrote

Give some data also on goats , cows , buffaloes murdererd on Eid.