Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Dalbus_Umbledore t1_izr8r9h wrote

Meanwhile Singapore and Japan getting the maximum bang for their buck .

oshawaguy t1_izshsz9 wrote

Well, Chad is only 55 cents per year of expectancy.

kingofwale t1_izsepol wrote

Well both countries make you pay a small fee everytime. So people don’t just waste their service away like you see in countries where it is completely “free”

Yeti-420-69 t1_izr2gro wrote

What ISN'T America the worst at? Do they just really love insurance companies or something?

tessthismess t1_izr3fm2 wrote

Well the people who make policy do. The other 99.9% of us hate them.

slides_galore t1_izsqnhy wrote

And the ones who make policy get cadillac plans for life.

SerialStateLineXer t1_izscflj wrote

Excellent universities, high wages, good test scores when you control for race, funds pharma R&D for the rest of the world, top tech industry. Health care quality is actually pretty high, too, just expensive, and you can have a European life expectancy if you don't overeat garbage or abuse drugs.

Yeti-420-69 t1_izsqzxz wrote

High wages for the top 1% of earners... Your minimum wage is a fucking joke

Good health care for those that can afford it... The rest die with medical debt, hence the chart above.

All your food is garbage. When I travel there I find it almost impossible to eat well without just going to the grocery store and living on fresh produce. It's disgusting.

The things you listed are only available to the well off.

−2

rabbiskittles t1_izsuv29 wrote

We have the 5th highest median income in the world, behind Luxembourg, UAE, Norway, and Switzerland. Median is insensitive to outliers, and 3 of the 4 countries that beat us have some notable asterisks.

We have objectively high wages. America has a shit ton of shitty problems, but across the board we have money.

Yeti-420-69 t1_izsvqhk wrote

Why it all dirty and full of poor, sick fat people then?

−1

SophieCT t1_izsitb8 wrote

Guns. We exceed every other country on guns.

Yeti-420-69 t1_izsppki wrote

I'm still gonna put that in the 'worst' column... Sorry!

SophieCT t1_izsuupy wrote

Don't be sorry. It is sickening that we exceed all other countries in this.

dragonhold24 t1_izrrk3v wrote

At least 70% of people love insurance.

Ask how many refuse to pay 100% out of pocket for a basic checkup or a prescription, yet expects the same insurance to cover emergencies and surgeries ...

mentalpalace666 t1_izsi9ye wrote

I'm amused by the number of people who aren't willing to admit that the USA's place on this graph is the result of a public/private healthcare system. Public-private partnerships are the worst...

Not to mention investment firms owning american hospitals...

Edit: took a huge dab before writing this

xerxes00 t1_iztqisy wrote

That and also a disparity large income disparity

Schadrach t1_izuu276 wrote

The USA...we have some of the best healthcare in the world...if you can afford it. If you can't, then, well you are in the majority that drives our terrible healthcare stats.

Osage_Orange t1_izr2ns4 wrote

Good thing we don't have universal health care like other counties. It might checks notes cost less than what we have now...

Yeti-420-69 t1_izr7p7w wrote

It's about helping people that they don't feel 'deserve' it

pk10534 t1_izrb1md wrote

I think we should probably be clear that life expectancy isn’t only tied to healthcare quality or expenses. Car accidents and gun-related homicides, for instance, are major contributors to U.S.’ life expectancy being so low, and those two problems wouldn’t go away with universal healthcare or any change to the health insurance system here. You might see some tangential effects, but it’s not going to change the fact that driving is dangerous and Americans drive a lot more than Cubans or Singaporeans. Mental healthcare under a single payer system might help reduce some homicides, but I can’t imagine that without massive gun control reform we would see homicide rates here fall to numbers we see in Western Europe or Japan.

Long story short, I just don’t think this is inherently the indictment of US healthcare it comes across to be at first glance - and anytime this issue comes up people for some reason think life expectancy is just about actual medical care, and it’s really a lot more broadly-encompassing than that. We need single payer healthcare here, but that alone is not going to solve some of the various issues that help determine a country’s life expectancy.

Zamaiel t1_izs3ps6 wrote

> think we should probably be clear that life expectancy isn’t only tied to healthcare quality or expenses. Car accidents and gun-related homicides, for instance, are major contributors to U.S.’ life expectancy being so low,

Not really.

There was one study showing this to be the case, Ofstedt and Schneider I think, and they got so shredded on the maths that they had to go out and admit that they never intended to get it right!

The maths is not terribly hard, how many 18-year olds need to die to lower the life expectancy of 325 million people by one year? Is that more or less than the US lost through WW2?

pk10534 t1_izt0cdw wrote

I think you missed the entire point of what I said, which is that life expectancy can be related to things not related to healthcare. The best doctor or hospital or insurance in the world can’t save you if an 18-wheeler hits you going 75mph. That’s more of an indictment on infrastructure and our choices related to cars and public transit than it does our healthcare model

Zamaiel t1_iztno48 wrote

That is true, but not every factor affecting lifespan is created equal. My point is that violence and traffic deaths are just way, way to small to account for the differences we see here.

There has been a lot of research on this, particularly in the field of public health, and the major reason for the difference is in fact healthcare. Mortality amenable to healthcare, infant mortality, maternal mortality, under-5 etc.

pachucatruth t1_izra2ka wrote

The US also spends way less dollars on social needs compared to other high-income countries. You can’t really manage your diabetes if you’re homeless or live in a food dessert.

bumhunt t1_izrcct3 wrote

excuses, how many people are actually homeless

USA is just obese

Testafail t1_izrpqhr wrote

USA has the wors system. Expensive and inefficient.

Duckboy_Flaccidpus t1_izsk3lh wrote

I only see it as ineffecient right now b/c there seems to be a doctor shortage ( I use the term loosely, it's not in dire straights but there could be more white coats) which delays patient visits and keeps the supply for healthcare controlled which is also why it is expensive. The access to it though is superior than most countries. Border hospitals in the northern US like Seattle, for example, will service many Canadian patients who dont' want to wait 1 yr for a procedure.

Testafail t1_izurtdx wrote

Whatever your excuse, USA system is lame for a developed country. Now even chinese people have a better life expectancy than Americans. Pityful

Duckboy_Flaccidpus t1_izuuh4w wrote

What I will say is that it is setup in a way whereby it maintains health and not sickness prevention. The internet said something like 70% of people are overweight which is the western diet, it's called SAD (standard American Diet) and it is just that. We need a re-education and more affordable, healthy food options.

Testafail t1_izw3g8u wrote

Never heard about SAD, just looked into it, I stand corrected indeed. Western diet ? I think diet in most western countries isn't as terrible as in USA, although ofc we eat too much processed sugar. Why are USA so much into SAD btw ? I don't understand the history behind this.

mkaszycki81 t1_izsucu2 wrote

The axes should be switched. The way they are presented now appears to suggest that health expenditure results from life expectancy rather than the other way around and that USA gets a better result than other countries (shorter life but more spending!), while the takeaway should be the opposite.

EatTheRichBabies t1_iztv0ez wrote

The x and y should be flipped in my opinion. Spending is independent and life expectancy is the result... But I guess this way says that despite having a low life expectancy we can spend a lot more to try to improve some third thing that isn't shown, like quality of life or my doctor's golf clubs.

FenixFVE t1_j00ql5q wrote

I am not an American and have never understood why some people are so obsessed with introducing universal health care at the federal level. Create this system for one state or sub-federation of states and see how this system would work. If it really is better, other states will eventually adopt this system.