Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

KuroNoctis t1_iy0r2d4 wrote

What’s the texture inside like?

emibalestr OP t1_iy0t0gz wrote

Flaky on the outside, creamy and delicious on the inside!!

ChefAssassinn t1_iy1q1jj wrote

Like my ex.

dangar512 t1_iy229eq wrote

gif

He or she or them should get that checked out lol

Oomoo_Amazing t1_iy2ymkb wrote

You could just say “they”

Santa_Christ_ t1_iy3nsru wrote

You could just ignore the mistake, jack ass

−33

Sinder77 t1_iy25of7 wrote

We made pave with duck fat at a place I used to work. Shit was money. Nice work. Might do up a pave for xmas this year.

Edit: idk what auto correct did to that first sentence but I apologize to everyone.

emibalestr OP t1_iy293za wrote

Do it!! Also how was it with the duck fat? Not too much?

Sinder77 t1_iy47ivi wrote

No, if anything I'd say it's lighter than a cream based one, with a lot more umami savoury yumness.

Syd_Vicious3375 t1_iy3tglp wrote

OooOo… I have a lovely jar of Turkey fat I just rendered while making stock with the thanksgiving bird. This might be a great way to use some of it.

PocketNicks t1_iy39qgr wrote

I had this at a restaurant once but they alternated the layers between regular and sweet potatoes. It was amazing.

CakeDaySenderella t1_iy1c8ce wrote

Recipe? Procedure? Look damn amazing

emibalestr OP t1_iy1dlns wrote

Alright this will be a long set of instructions but stay with me here:

1. ⁠Peel and slice 2 large russet potatoes super thin (like thinnest setting)
  2. ⁠As you’re slicing, place slices in a bowl filled with heavy cream, salt, white pepper, spices of your choice
  3. ⁠Make sure to mix potatoes with cream mixture as you keep adding slices
  4. ⁠Grab a loaf tin and line it with parchment paper. Lightly grease with melted butter
  5. ⁠Layer thinly sliced potatoes into the loaf pan one by one, stack them to create a layers until the pan is full
  6. ⁠Cover the top potato layer with parchment paper and press down on it with another loaf pan
  7. ⁠Remove the top loaf pan and bake at 320f for 1.5 hours
  8. ⁠Remove from oven, and place the loaf pan on top of the potatoes again. Place something heavy (like some cans or something) on the top loaf pan and refrigerate overnight
  9. ⁠Take out from fridge and potatoes should be significantly compressed
  10. ⁠Take the potato brick out of the pan, slice, and fry!

Gumnutbaby t1_iy2qhc3 wrote

I was going to make this until I saw how long it goes in the oven. It’s summer and humid where I am!

emibalestr OP t1_iy3pb07 wrote

It should be fine!! I wouldn’t say it’s extremely temp sensitive

Gumnutbaby t1_iy6jspu wrote

More it’s hot enough in the house without the oven being on for hours

LastandLeast t1_iy30j4h wrote

Vegetable or Canola oil? Would a brush with oil and a few minutes in the air fryer yield good results?

emibalestr OP t1_iy3pg7v wrote

I used vegetable oil but canola should be good too! Personally, I would pan fry rather than air fry. The direct contact with the hot pan is pretty necessary for the crisp. I would however reheat using the air fryer if you have extra!

cmatthews11 t1_iy3hsjl wrote

Interested to try this method with the cream mixture, when I made it last I just brushed every other layer with butter and added salt and pepper.

emibalestr OP t1_iy3pktm wrote

I tried the brushing, but it was hard since everything was already wet if that makes any sense. I found it to be super easy just with the soak!

AbNeural t1_iy2ywpg wrote

What are you using to slice these? A food processor?

emibalestr OP t1_iy3pgyd wrote

Mandolin slicer!

-worryaboutyourself- t1_iy3tpjt wrote

My mandolin doesn’t slice thin enough for this. I might try it with thicker slices to see if I can get it close.

Hefeweizen92 t1_iy21vt2 wrote

This reminds me of fried yuca. Didn't know about potatoes being rendered this way. So thanks for showing me something new.

Eoreascending t1_iy1atos wrote

You have something there. Pommes Anna,… e scallop , burnt ends ala fondant potato….. laminating is beautiful.

I think you have made something new.

emibalestr OP t1_iy1ay14 wrote

I wish! Look up potato terrine, or potato pavé :) thanks for the creds tho

yska1201 t1_iy1jn5l wrote

Was it worth the effort?

emibalestr OP t1_iy1o6la wrote

10000% yes! It’s really not much effort hands on, but it requires a bit of time hand off if that makes any sense. Totally worth it though

Dat_Beaver t1_iy3d5s8 wrote

But you have to use the fingertip remover. RIP pinky tip 1991-2014

Kaacciiee t1_iy2n17g wrote

I wanna make this so bad but I don't have the patience

Eoreascending t1_iy1bas6 wrote

Googled. Stand corrected. Still.👍

NagaSlicer t1_iy2notx wrote

My stoned ass thought this was r/battlemaps for way too long. Looks yummy, though!

SEA-LEGZ t1_iy2qgzh wrote

Been meaning to make this for ages, I'm no cook by any stretch of the imagination but this I think I can handle haha Any tips/tricks you'd do next time for a better result?

emibalestr OP t1_iy4qw4x wrote

My biggest challenge was definitely the frying process. Make sure the oil is hot enough when frying! Also, the potatoes will be pretty stuck to the pan if you try to flip them too soon. Be patient, when when fully cooked, they will come off the pan east to flip :)

NeonWand3rer t1_iy3da7w wrote

I’m going to try this tomorrow.. looks amazing

budgeatapp t1_iy3jq9j wrote

Wowzers, looks at those crispy layers!

Yhoko t1_iy3o8hu wrote

I don't know what that is. All I know is that I want it.

NormalTuesdayKnight t1_iy3xjbn wrote

A long time ago I tried my hand at this with a knife & very little knife experience lol. I should probably revisit this soon. It looks beautiful.

emibalestr OP t1_iy437fh wrote

Oh god don’t do this with a knife!! That’s an insane amount of work!!! A mandolin slicer is worth the investment :)

kremzerski t1_iy4e751 wrote

It’s… so beautiful 😭😭😭😭❤️❤️ good work!

HoboArmyofOne t1_iy4z312 wrote

Like a modern take on a hash brown. Looks delicious

What you need is a bacon layer. 🥓

CupResponsible797 t1_iy3forf wrote

How on earth is that a terrine?

emibalestr OP t1_iy3pumf wrote

Terrine: a meat, fish, or vegetable mixture that has been cooked or otherwise prepared in advance and allowed to cool or set in its container, typically served in slices.

It’s considered a terrine based on the cooking process :)

ProVagrant t1_iy4nqbg wrote

That's a rather incomplete definition of terrine. What you have made is potato pavé

emibalestr OP t1_iy4p6dw wrote

Yes! But all the recipes I saw had it named literally as “potato terrine (pavé)” so I assumed terrine was a more common name. It seems they can be used interchangeably :)

CupResponsible797 t1_iy3qlnq wrote

Any pre-prepared mixture which is allowed to cool is a terrine? That's certainly a unique take. (And surely you're serving these warm... right?)

It certainly doesn't even vaguely resemble any terrine you might find on google images, nor does it resemble the results for terrine de pomme de terre.

MightyPope t1_iy49ygv wrote

Google "potato terrine" and you'll find a bunch like it. To be fair, if you search for "salad" you're also not going to find pictures of potato salad.

CupResponsible797 t1_iy4c9e8 wrote

That's a bizarre mistake, I wonder where it originated from. Perhaps it evolved from something vaguely resembling an actual terrine?

Usually in fine dining contexts this would be referred to as potato mille-feuille, sometimes potato pavé. I don't think you'll see this referred to as potato terrine outside of spammy recipe aggregator sites.

−1

emibalestr OP t1_iy4q3bl wrote

Idk man that’s literally the dictionary definition I pasted onto here. All the recipes I saw were literally named “potato terrine (pavé)”, so I assume they’re used interchangeably

CupResponsible797 t1_iy4vufp wrote

Oxford dictionary is not a good source when it comes to food. Two quick examples:

According to the dictionary, a pizza must be round and have both tomatoes and cheese.

>a dish of Italian origin, consisting of a flat round base of dough baked with a topping of tomatoes and cheese, typically with added meat, fish, or vegetables.

And mole is apparently expected to contain chocolate (most do not)

>a highly spiced Mexican sauce made chiefly from chilli peppers and chocolate, served with meat.

>All the recipes I saw were literally named “potato terrine (pavé)”, so I assume they’re used interchangeably

That seems to be a common mistake on recipe spam blogs, but it's certainly a bizarre way to describe a dish that doesn't even vaguely resemble anything else you'd refer to as "terrine".

emibalestr OP t1_iy4w8z4 wrote

Dude ok I just wanted to post some delicious potatoes sorry if I offended you

CupResponsible797 t1_iy4woq0 wrote

I'm not sure how a reasonable person could read my comments and think I'm offended.