Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

_Penulis_ t1_j1lj1im wrote

A brilliant Korean dish. Looks great.

Where is the coriander, looks like lettuce or spinach?

Yubookoo OP t1_j1lljqh wrote

Coriander is via simmering coriander seeds in water/Zhenjiang vinegar with other spices and then straining the liquid. So you cant see it really. If you can see the sauce below the meat pieces that one is mayo based with some pickled eggplant and other things.

The greens are blanched choy sum.. like if I was serving it to make quick wraps lettuce would be the choice .. but as more like a bunch of stuff on a plate I thought something that can/should be cooked would be better. I think spinach would work too for the same reason

_Penulis_ t1_j1lmspp wrote

Oh sorry I understand now. And I realise you (as an American?) wouldn’t call the green leaf coriander like I do, you’d call it the Spanish name cilantro.

I suppose I didn’t expect Korean cooking to use ground coriander, but I suppose there is no reason for me to think that.

Yubookoo OP t1_j1lodl7 wrote

Yes, American, and that’s what I do (for whatever reason). I grow the plant and when it has leaves I call that cilantro; after it bolts (which it’s quick to do, a very interesting plant to grow) the seeds the plant then makes I call that coriander seed (also for clarification, there is no ground coriander in the sauce; it’s whole coriander seeds that are then strained out because they impart a nice taste but are not good to eat after simmering in a sauce. And that was the inspiration for the dish is Korean, but a lot of the garnishes are things I came up with based on what I had at hand — so I have no idea and couldn’t speak to whether coriander is a regular aspect of Korean cooking)

Chemistryset8 t1_j1loq58 wrote

Is the pork marinated? Do you have a recipe?

Yubookoo OP t1_j1lpcq7 wrote

Not marinated, tho I bet it could be so long as it was dried off before cooking. It’s a pork belly rubbed in some salt and then put in an oven until ready. I was hoping to use the pork belly skin to make cracklings to mix into the mushrooms but the skin didn’t survive the roasting and had to be discarded (was able to cook the mushrooms in some of the oil the pork belly exuded tho!)