Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

sudsomatic t1_j2dpn5c wrote

Well done! That’s tough to make.

Ignorhymus t1_j2dxfpq wrote

Yeah - I saw a recipe on italiasquisita for pannetone. I thought I'd watch it, as I'd really love some pannetone, and I can't get it here. Yeah, nah. Not a snowball in hell's chance.

Spaceneedle420 t1_j2f06ag wrote

Rise to the occasion. Challenge yourself.

Ignorhymus t1_j2fkhfs wrote

It contained starters, and I don't have any starter culture

docgonzomt t1_j2fq2fj wrote

You can make your own or, get a little starter from King Arthur Flour as well. It's super easy. I have one I've been keeping alive for about 9 months now. Just gotta feed it like once a week, and before you use it. I've left it for 2 weeks before and it's been fine! I also use the discard to make biscuits, pancakes, pizza dough, scones, and more.

crimony70 t1_j2fxa1i wrote

Sad for you, I love Pannetone.

Supermarkets here have 20 different varieties, but I guess Australia has a strong Italian cultural influence. Strong enough for our coffee culture to cost Starbucks $600M when they tried to convince us all that their liquid dessert shops were coffee shops.

Zozorrr t1_j2er647 wrote

In a wrapper too

Tireditalian t1_j2euuxi wrote

Panettone wrappers are apparently a thing. Didn't realize part of the "traditional style" was the wrapping.

I also thought it was store bought because the Panettone I bought had a similar wrap. After searching specifically for the wrap, I'm not a skeptical.

It also looks very good.

therichhotdog t1_j2f7pfw wrote

The paper mould is essential to panettone making.

Once the panettone is baked, it has risen quite a bit is prone to collapsing. To prevent this, bakers insert skewers or attach a rack with spikes in it to ‘grab’ the panettone so that it can be inverted. The panettone is hung upside down as it cools. Once cooled, the panettone is ready to be packaged without collapsing.

circumnavigatin t1_j2ehzw6 wrote

Is it a cake? Is it a bread?

ITS A CAKEBREAD!!!

Tireditalian t1_j2euxtu wrote

It is a very popular holiday bread. The best of it can just melt in your mouth.

andyman171 t1_j2f3ivy wrote

So are the store bought ones in a box just really low quality?

Tireditalian t1_j2f40p8 wrote

Store bought is fine for a craving but not amazing. On the flip side, it is very difficult to make properly.

I'd compare the quality of any store bought dessert to homemade and say the same thing.

andyman171 t1_j2f4ryq wrote

I've only ever had the store bought. I tell myself every Christmas that I like it and after the first bite I remember it's not for me.

KingCarnivore t1_j2fcilc wrote

I’m normally not too crazy about them but I bought a dark chocolate and cherry one this year and it was amazing.

Cesia_Barry t1_j2dxj84 wrote

That's a beauty! Hope it's even better than storebought. Report back--I need to shake up my bread baking.

Sensitive_nob t1_j2e8hp3 wrote

How many tries? Panettone is incredibly hard to make

indolino t1_j2dr9ge wrote

I love Panettone! Your looks good!

sarahtheginger26 t1_j2e8gfb wrote

Ooh that looks delicious. Great job with the bake

EXXPat t1_j2eau0j wrote

Looks fabulous! Was it difficult?

xxcccyy t1_j2en6he wrote

I love panettone, I wish I knew how to make it so I could have it all year 🥹

DrSloany t1_j2fbao2 wrote

It looks very well done, if it's homemade it's quite impressive.

I am just a sucker for the traditional filling with raisins and candied fruit

bigred1978 t1_j2fggpg wrote

My wife got one as part of a gift basket from work, authentic Panettone in a box.

Neither of us was impressed, local grocery store muffins in a plastic container tasted better than this.

rogerdm t1_j2fgqhi wrote

That one actually is a chocotonne. Traditional panettones are made with dried fruits

imacmadman22 t1_j2f4484 wrote

Spent almost eight weeks in Italy as a young man, I love panettone and most other Italian foods. It’s a shame that most Americans will never see beyond the basics of Italian food that they know in America, especially since our country is named after an Italian.

−1