Submitted by kappakingtut2 t3_zzzjd1 in gaming

i'm currently playing through Tokyo Ghostwire. i've never been to Tokyo but feels like it could an accurate depiction of the city.

and i absolutely loved AC Odyssey. i even tried to refuse fast travel during gameplay because i just wanted to explore that world / map as much as possible.

which games have maps based on real world locations, and which of those are the most accurate?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Skatingraccoon t1_j2eivam wrote

The Getaway is notorious for its attention to detail, they spent a lot of time mapping out and recreating London, which is even more impressive when you consider it was before things like Google Maps and street view.

Division 2 is also very awesome.

Siukslinis_acc t1_j2ennrt wrote

Yakuza series has cities modeled after IRL places.

SolomanGundySr t1_j2eu6rc wrote

Hell Let Loose has very accurate WW2 maps of multiple theatres.

AgentMikelHUN t1_j2euoxe wrote

Both The Division (New York) and The Division 2 (Washington DC and New York).

DerRoger t1_j2ekfqs wrote

Microsoft Flight Simulator

Assetto Corsa

Train Sim World 3

TheSnarfles t1_j2eldwz wrote

The Assassin’s Creed games do a great job. Revolutionary Paris is super accurate in Unity.

thecruelentity t1_j2eqz2a wrote

I have played so little games in comparison to others but the one map I assume is pretty accurate is GTA 5.

PhanThief95 t1_j2fdl92 wrote

The Yakuza & Judgment series have maps based off of real world sections of Japan. Ghost of Tsushima is also based off of the real life Tsushima Island west of mainland Japan.

The Horizon series also has accurate maps of the western United States albeit scaled down. Zero Dawn goes from Colorado & Wyoming (from Yellowstone Park) all the way to Lake Powell in Utah while Forbidden West goes from Zion National Park in Utah all the way to San Francisco in California, with the upcoming DLC being set in Los Angeles.

A lot of Ubisoft’s games are set in real world places & they’re fairly accurate. Places like Florence, Venice, & Rome in Italy, Istanbul in Turkey, Havana in Cuba, Kingston in Jamaica, Nassau in the Bahamas, Paris, London, northern Egypt, Greece, Chicago, & San Francisco are modeled surprisingly well in both the Assassin’s Creed & Watch Dogs series.

The Insomniac Spider-Man games have possibly the accurately detailed map of Manhattan, but with a bit of a Marvel twist with landmarks from the comics.

The maps of GTA 4 & 5 are also very accurate with how much Liberty City looks to New York City & how much Los Santos looks to Los Angeles.