Submitted by much2thinkabtnothin t3_10qccnl in gaming

The guy I love is into gaming but our schedules don’t align (he games at like midnight onwards) bc I have work I’m asleep by that time so it’s hard to learn through him since I’m not awake. It seems really fun & I could use a distraction at this point in my life. Where the fuck do I start though (I have a gaming laptop, steam etc that’s all)

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

MajinBuuMan t1_j6p5spe wrote

What kind of movies or books or tv are your favorite?

Stardew Valley is a solid casual game that almost anyone at any age and any gaming experience can enjoy. Life is Strange is easy gameplay and a solid narrative. Baby games but good games.

But without knowing preferences hard to recommended stuff.

nphased t1_j6pcpw0 wrote

If your guy is willing to setup steam family sharing on your laptop, you can play games out of his library and get a feel for what you like.

God_of_Cannabis t1_j6p5x8m wrote

Understandable it's hard to get into If your schedule clashes if you want a cool chill stoner gamer friend to help get you better into gaming just hmu I am always looking for more people to game with. Any ideas what type of genres you prefer like rpg, fps, MOBA, ect.

LfTatsu t1_j6p8jzo wrote

If wanting to share a hobby with your significant other is cringe, then I don’t know what the fuck cringe is anymore.

Anyway, Xbox Game Pass has solved this problem for a lot of people. Buy a Series S, get Game Pass, and just start downloading stuff. Then branch out from whatever clicks.

Konyption t1_j6pahew wrote

Depends what tickles the reward centers in your brain. Do you like collecting things? Are you competitive? Adrenaline rush or looking to unwind?

Crimsonclaw111 t1_j6p5wyk wrote

Hmm if you haven't played anything or much before it's hard to give directions but what kind of stuff interests you? Puzzles? Shooting things? Grand, epic stories where choosing the outcome affects the narrative?

callousedWiener t1_j6p6ar8 wrote

Multiplayer games might be a bit difficult I would try looking for some single player games just until you know where all your controls are Or if your adamant on playing call of duty , bot lobbies in local multiplayer on rookie difficulty is beneficial

Xtech13 t1_j6p6o45 wrote

Ehh its same question as if you asked us what should be your favourite food. I can give reco based on some questions but cant tell if it will work. Soo were there any games you kinda liked from your so library? What genre of movies/books do you like? Do you want challenge or just something slow paced and relaxing?

dinglebick t1_j6p7quu wrote

All of these are great suggestions! Finding games with an overlap in your already established interests, in addition to/as well as picking up some that are mechanically simple enough to grab onto and learn the “feedback loop” of would be my suggestion. Single player games are a good place to start, since there’s no competitive pressure, in my opinion. These days I personally find myself gravitating towards single player games again after a long time of multiplayer gaming because the competition is just unneeded stress. Just hop in and see what clicks!

asunamyag t1_j6pd9bv wrote

I highly recommend the classic puzzle game Portal, which has held up phenomenally well for a game from 2007.

It uses a control scheme similar to what you’ll find in a lot of games, where you move around with one hand and aim and use a camera with the other, but it doesn’t rely on precise timing, aiming, or movement. The challenge is purely intellectual.

So it will be a good opportunity to get used to common control schemes.

It’s also hilarious.

vixxxxxxxxxxxxxxx t1_j6pg0i1 wrote

Take a look at what games he plays if you have him added on Steam, or ask his favorites. You could try one of those in your free time to get the hang of it before asking him to play (if you felt anxious about that part XD). He'd probably be hype that you wanted to join him in his hobby!

There are also a ton of two person co-op games that you two could play together - I know your schedules are part of the problem, but if possible ever that might be fun. I played 'It Takes Two' with my boyfriend while we were long distance. It has cute animation and is pretty straightforward - puzzle solving to move through the game, but you both have to do your part in order to advance. Stardew Valley is also a good pick - you can farm together and build a little city.

Otherwise, start with what you like as there might be a game related.

Do you like horror?

Do you like decorating + creating?

Do you want to try a shooting game?

Do you want to play alone or play a team-based game?

What are your hobbies outside of gaming? I can try to make some suggestions for games you might like based off of that!

RogueTommy t1_j6piuyp wrote

Ima just throw a few out I guess,

• "Portal"/"Portal 2"
  • "Firewatch" is really good for a basic mostly walking/story based game. It would be great for a true beginner.
  • "A Hat in Time" is a fantastic 3d platformer if you've ever played Mario 64 or Banjo Kazooie
  • "A Short Hike"
  • "Valheim" is a time sink but truly just an amazingly enjoyable game(Kinda hard for a true beginner)
  • If you do ever want to try a game with him or ever have the time, "We Were Here" is a really fun co-op puzzle game series that I personally enjoyed a lot
  • "Wildermyth" is a fun D&D style of game whilst I have only played multiplayer, it is single-player if you are into that kind of thing

These next few might get into the "harder"(by harder, I mostly mean more "complex" before all you shitlords come screaming about how these games are easy) section for someone completely new to games but if you want to learn, here they are:

• "Bioshock" series
  • "Half-Life" series(dated but really fun)
  • "Borderlands" series
  • "Celeste" (Great but difficult even for life-long gamers)
  • "Sid Meier's Civilization 6" If you like long "Risk" like games(Also DLC for it is def worth it)
  • "Mirror's Edge" is fantastic and "Mirror's Edge Catalyst" is as well but Catalyst is open world so it might be easy to get lost
  • "Risk of Rain 2" is fantastic but pretty darn tough
  • "Outlast" is great if you like spooky games
  • "Limbo" is a slower 2d platformer that I enjoyed
  • "Seen" is kind of like "Limbo"
  • "Little Nightmares"
  • "Inside"
  • "Ori and the Blind Forest"
  • "Undertale"

I feel as if this should be more than enough to get your foot well past the door but as with all things, just because I enjoyed them doesn't mean you will or have so miss me with them fightin' words if you have any issues with this.

Sycokinetic t1_j6pjsxm wrote

We’ll need more info. Are there any kinds of games you’re particularly curious about? It’s kinda like asking what kind of food to start with, or how to get into movies. The range of possibilities is so wide, and people’s tastes and aptitudes vary so wildly, that it’s hard to give a good non-patronizing suggestion without having any sense of direction.

We can try to help, but as I’ve told someone else in a previous thread, your partner is going to be the person most capable of translating your interests into games you’d likely enjoy.