Submitted by HeeHeeMean t3_11h6kxv in headphones

Dolby Atmos on the go

Hi fellow lifeforms

I got a galaxy s22 about 3 months ago and since a few days ago I didn't notice that Dolby Atmos was activated. And I'm not sure if I should keep it on or off. When its on the music gets a kinda liveish sound. With electronic music it sounds kinda epic but with music like Rammstein it sound completely different, the guitars are more prominent and the voice gets pushed. It sounds like the high mids and highs get pushed hard and rest stays but with techno the bass gets way deeper and sounds like a proper sub but the rest doesn't get noticable louder.

I use Spotify and Sony wf1000xm3 on the go but I don't think Spotify is Atmos compatible?

So my question is, should I turn it off or is it a taste thing? And is music with Atmos support Marketing bungus or good?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Mr_whotoyou t1_jas0snf wrote

do you have any equalization on, on either atmos or sony headphones app, if yes i suggest using only one (i prefer atmos one) as for app comparability it works on all apps at least on my oneplus 9 pro

HeeHeeMean OP t1_jas1rnr wrote

With the Sony eq turned off and only Atmos it sounds like it's coming through a metal can.

OutlandishnessFine77 t1_jase5z4 wrote

Its the equivalent of DTS: neo6 or Theater dimentional listening modes on home theater systems. Regardless if the source material contains Atmos metadata, it will either directly decode that data and output in Atmos, or, take non-atmos data and fake it do virtual atmost upscaling. ie Its trying emulating Atmos, without atmos data.

​

Its preferential. Keep it on if you like it. I go back and forth, for casual listening, but off for critical listening since it boosts the volume, and obviously does some sort of EQing to bring the highs out more.

​

I'd not try to EQ with it on though, its dynamic in nature and will change based on what music its given. So if you apply EQ after wards, you'll get some odd behavior between different songs.

​

EQ without it for better consistency between content.

HeeHeeMean OP t1_jasm87v wrote

good to know thx. i will keep it off and only use it with techno cause moa bass baby

dimesian t1_jattpg3 wrote

I have Dolby Atmos on my phone, I usually don't like spatial effects but I tried some Atmos tracks from Tidal and they sounded really great. They don't seem to be going for a goofy 3d effect were the instruments sound really wide apart, its immersive without sounding like a gimmick.

Akella333 t1_jau287h wrote

There are music platforms that have Dolby Atmos mixed music, so with those services it would sound better than upmixing Spotify. Apple music, tidal, and amazon music all have Dolby Atmos content.