Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Faking_Life t1_iqoli3c wrote

You’re not supposed to rest on your laurels.

Tidesticky t1_iqpdmhq wrote

They never look comfortable enough to rest on

itsbeepbop t1_iqof8s9 wrote

As someone with a name that translates to 'crowned with laurel', I very much appreciate this

ShvoogieCookie t1_iqptoxl wrote

Which name is that?

Abject_Ad1879 t1_iqpnew9 wrote

Fun fact. Bay Leaves (cooking herb) are a fragrant, flavorful species of laurel.

QuarterSwede t1_iqoczls wrote

Had no idea it’s leaves are what we call bay leaves. Delicious!

In_cognito12 t1_iqqc9re wrote

Not sure just how in touch you are with that quarter Swedish background, but Swedish surname “Lagercrantz” (Lagerkrans) literally translates to wreath/crown of bay leaves, i.e., laurels.

-Rivox- t1_iqqilvj wrote

I thought it was common knowledge tbh. Here in Italy it's tradition to put a crown of laurels on the head of those who are graduating from university (which we call laureate)

baumpop t1_iqrsab3 wrote

I'm sure there are a lot of Roman traditions where Rome used to be

MonarchistParty t1_iqpzd1z wrote

Good to know about the history of the laureate leaf. Used to wonder sometimes how it got there.

MoopooianLuver t1_iqpfsci wrote

Or look up Vanguard? Praetor? Had a Danish last name with this Greek root! Lol

Our language can be understood by taking Greek/Roman & Latin roots of words. Had just a smidge & has helped me my entire 67 years! With English, not Spanish or any other language, and my Spanish helps with understanding some other Latin languages…

Point is…never give up on “the learning”!

Try it, You might like it & surprise Yourself how smart You probably still are?

betweenthreeandtwent t1_iqqmdmf wrote

"Many people will recognize the long, green aromatic leaves as bay, a popular spice in a range of cuisines."

I've always thought bay was a herb, not a spice. Am I wrong?

goverc t1_iqrrwin wrote

google search says "An herb is the green, leafy part of the plant. Examples are basil, rosemary, sage, thyme, parsley, and oregano. A spice can come from the root, stem, seed, fruit, flower or bark of the tree or plant"

DalberNarra t1_iqrabja wrote

I think you might be right, because from what I understand, herbs are leaves and spices are different parts.

squanchy22400ml t1_iquanlw wrote

And those leaves have delicious flavour, i put them in biryani or any rice dish i make.