Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

TheBoss572 t1_jadcmip wrote

very likely yes. but very likely also you will need mfi certified usb c cables or else it will restrict data speeds and probably charging speeds too knowing apple lmfao.

SmartPipe3882 t1_jadhxq7 wrote

It will, but Apple will retain MFi, which means any cable you don’t buy from them will be software limited.

If you just want the port, wait. If you’re thinking you can stop buying cables from Apple with no downside, think again.

Mikelightman t1_jad9tmc wrote

There’s probably a good chance. But we don’t know anything definitive until they reveal it.

Richard1864 t1_jadejlw wrote

USB-C now required in Europe but not everywhere else. No idea how Apple do the new iPhone until announced by Apple in September.

mrsilver76 t1_jadm6w8 wrote

>USB-C now required in Europe

Not quite. The EU mandate doesn’t kick in until December 28th 2024 and only applies to newly certified devices after that date.

Assuming the usual release dates, Apple could, if they really wanted, stick with lightning on the iPhone 15 and 16.

My bet is USB-C on the iPhone 15 Pro models only and the non-pro models get USB-C the year after.

bluedevil_zg t1_jadi1ci wrote

Stupidly - but yes. USB-C is required. And when a new technology pops, say USB-G, then what? Everybody will have to wait until EU decides to change the law and define the new standard is required? And then all of the USB-C gadgets and stuff will very fast become obsolete. I bet there’s a new standard just behind the corner…

infinityandbeyond75 t1_jadu8bu wrote

This was one of Apple’s arguments against it. They said if a new, better cable or port is created a law mandating USB-C would keep the EU behind until all the red tape is passed.

Richard1864 t1_jadusbl wrote

Exactly. And don’t forget Apple is also working on a iPhone variant with no charging ports, only Wi-Fi charging.

−1

AppointmentNeat t1_jadhbzi wrote

No clue. Though I don’t see what the hype is about. USB-C will mean absolutely nothing for 95% of users.

[deleted] t1_jadiq1o wrote

[deleted]

−6

AppointmentNeat t1_jadkz2u wrote

Right but what difference will it make for average consumers?

For an example: Say IPhone 15 comes with USB-C and ‘Bob’ plugs his cable into the USB port. What difference will ‘Bob’ notice when plugging it vs the lighting port?

CR45Hn8URN t1_jaedvko wrote

2 ways. 1: the most obvious, it's one less cord you have to carry with you.

2: USB-C offers higher transfer speeds vs lightning. If you transfer a lot between your device and mac, you will notice the difference immediately. But that's playing devil's advocate, USB-C is an inferior engineering design, so, this is still going backwards, for Apple.

[deleted] t1_jadobq0 wrote

[deleted]

−2

AppointmentNeat t1_jadscg3 wrote

You still haven’t explained what the difference would be when ‘Bob’ plugs in his USB compared to when he plugs in his lighting cable.

“Otg cables and docks, video out etc”, like I said already, won’t cross 95% of user’s mind.

[deleted] t1_jadyh9e wrote

[deleted]

−2

SnooConfections6575 t1_jae5uzz wrote

As a bob, if the next iPhone i get has USB C, it will be a different cable combattere to my iPad and airpods. Not much simplicity there😅

CR45Hn8URN t1_jaecwof wrote

USB-C, ugh. 🤦From an engineering standpoint, the lightning cable is far superior ( the male end is on the cord, not the device).

I think it's cute, that people think apple is doing this because of anything the EU passed. 😂