Submitted by One_Caterpillar5020 t3_117fh5x in iphone

I am switching my SIM card into a flip phone

Keeping my iPhone at home for some group imessages and apps I use sparingly (sort of like iPad use)

I know people will try to continue iMessaging me. Will it go through as texts to my flip phone? Or is there a way for it to automatically switch to my email registered on my iPhone instead?

I’d like to keep phone calls and urgent texts on my flip phone, but longer iMessages that come in from people who don’t realize I’ve switched to flip phone on my iPhone

Is this possible? Thanks!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

little_nipas t1_j9bey3n wrote

You will have to have all iMessages go to the iPhone or none. You’ll have to turn iMessage off on the phone and all messages will come though to flip phone but as an sms instead.

One_Caterpillar5020 OP t1_j9bk3ht wrote

Thx! What happens if iMessage is still on, on the iPhone? I can’t get any SMS to my flip phone?

little_nipas t1_j9bllky wrote

SMS will go to any phone you have the SIM card in. But if you have iMessage activated on an iPhone other apple devices will recognize that and send iMessages to that device in place of SMS

One_Caterpillar5020 OP t1_j9c667m wrote

So a potential solution could be:

• add my Apple ID email for iMessages to existing group iMessages so they can continue to go through as iMessages on iPhone at home
  • tell people to call, not text me, because it will go through as SMS (and I won’t respond lol)
  • deal with the text SMSs as they come in, try to iMessage back later with my email

Does that sound like it would work? It’s mostly the group iMessages that I would like to be able to see on my iPhone at home. All other texts can get lost!

I hope this just isn’t crazy annoying to others. I know it means they’ll text me less but that’s kinda the point

little_nipas t1_j9dckx8 wrote

That could work. But I’ll tell you right now from experience. It is going to get really annoying on your end to try and manage. Because with I message it wants to work with you being all in or all out. My mom has tried limiting things like that and it has been a frustrating experience.

budzweiser t1_j9e133g wrote

You can choose to receive and send imessages using only your email. It’s in the messages settings.