Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Kwebster7327 t1_jcrbrhd wrote

I'd expect it to. Most phone cases are thicker.

_SkyDweller_ OP t1_jcrcz2c wrote

Yes that’s true, I pre drilled a hole under my desk in case it works, I just wanted to be sure before buying it.

-bobak t1_jcrcyor wrote

I know for a fact that it works through 3mm of wood and 1mm of silicone, if that helps

Nxr_spe t1_jct59hr wrote

Ikea has a wireless charger that goes through 2cm of desk

haom31 t1_jcu6r3r wrote

Wood is a natural electrical and thermal insulator. With that thickness it is possible that it can reach a charge but with very low power. MagSafe cases have a ring of conductive material to improve electrical efficiency, the wooden case does not.

Idi-amin86 t1_jcur130 wrote

As long as it’s the apple brand yes.

ndy007 t1_jcv3rml wrote

As long as there are no metal in between the charger and the phone, 2mm is gap should be fine

italianboi69104 t1_jcvcp4y wrote

Yeah ofc. Just keep in mind that it won’t be as efficient as it would be without the wood ;)

SillyCubensis t1_jcrrrtm wrote

FWIW the Tozo 4” charger pads on Amazon charge better through stuff. The Apple MagSafe won’t charge through my wife’s case but the Tozo does great.

-bobak t1_jcsdzhu wrote

The issue is that only a MagSafe compatible charger is capable of charging at the maximum 15w speed, so if that speed is a priority there’s only one choice

SillyCubensis t1_jcshoe3 wrote

Yeah. But the 5w difference isn’t that big of a deal compared to having to take it out of the case. And if we actually need speed we’re plugging in the 20w lightning.

-bobak t1_jcsibuo wrote

Qi is limited to 7.5w vs MagSafe’s 15w, so the difference between those two could make a bigger impact than between MagSafe and a 20W wired option (assuming MagSafe is running at peak speed)

In your wife’s scenario, if it doesn’t work through her case it probably doesn’t make sense for her. But for OP, MagSafe sounds like a better option over Qi, and they probably don’t have an issue with worrying about removing a case

PickledPaintArt t1_jcw1aw2 wrote

My first thought was “no obviously not” then I remembered that I am an American and I don’t know what a mm is