Submitted by Mike t3_yii0m4 in iphone

I feel like even True Tone, Night Shift, Auto Lock, Raise to Wake, and Display Zoom make as much sense to have in Accessibility as Auto-Brightness. They should all be in the main Display setting.

Agree or disagree?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

cr0wit0 t1_iuir8py wrote

I think it was purposely moved and set to ON by default. I’m pretty sure Apple received too many complaints or service calls regarding this issue because it was too easy to find and fiddle with.

Mike OP t1_iuirk88 wrote

Interesting. They should at least have a link to the accessibility section from the main display page and clearly highlight if it’s on or not.

On that note, I’d love it if Accessibility wasn’t a middle menu-item so you have to actively scan for it, especially since it starts with an A and the main point is for people with disabilities to be able to setup their phone for easier use.

Trouble seeing? Here, go on a mini scavenger hunt to find the settings page!

It should be at the top. Especially now since there’s so many cool settings that even non-disabled users can change to customize their experience.

Ron100c_1312 t1_iujj8pb wrote

Why would people complain about a setting being easy to find 😂

cr0wit0 t1_iujn6dt wrote

Because they don’t know. They mess with it and can’t put it back. Lots of people aren’t savvy…

lovely_trequartista t1_iujyliq wrote

It amazes me. Like, the first item UI element in the settings app is literally a search bar. Hell you don't even have to be in the settings app to easily search for whatever settings you need.

proto-x-lol t1_iuj1yx9 wrote

It used to be there prior to iOS 11 as it was easily accessible until iOS 11 was released around September of 2017.

But did you also know that the iPhone X was also released in late 2017 too? It has an OLED screen as well.

If you recall, high brightness could cause screen burn in for OLED screens if the user kept their display at the highest brightness possible for whatever reason.

Apple most likely made the Auto Brightness hidden under accessibility so that way users don’t ruin the OLED screen with the iPhone X and later. Otherwise there was no issues with iPhones with LCD screens at high brightness.

As for Auto Brightness being hidden away under Accessibility settings, here’s the link for the source.

https://wccftech.com/ios-11-auto-brightness-switch/

BananimusPrime t1_iujxvi0 wrote

My problem with it being so tucked away is that I have to constantly go and turn it off and on again. If you manually adjust the brightness (need to turn the brightness up fully for a moment to see something clearer for example) then it never seems to go back to auto brightness, unless you toggle it off and on again.

688165135 t1_iukargh wrote

This exactly!! I just bought my first iPhone after enjoying my Pixel 3 for years and the fact that auto-brightness setting is so annoying to get to irritates the hell out of me. I really wish it was a toggle in Control Center similar to True Tone, Night Shift, etc. Would make turning settings on/off so much easier for editing photos.

Cheap-Finance5580 t1_iujkjbg wrote

Auto-brightness is intentionally ON to enable battery life savings. And also higher peak brightness “outdoors.”

different-angle t1_iuk2t3u wrote

The real problem here is that when you watch a dark movie you have to turn up the brightness a little bit, manually, to see what’s going on. After the movie you have to go through the settings to turn off auto brightness, and then turn it on again, so that it’s functioning again. I hate Apple for this.

MidKnight007 t1_iuivyq8 wrote

Purposely done to try to stretch out battery life claims

irishstu t1_iujxfz1 wrote

If it’s in Accessibility then the main use for changing that setting is if you have some sort of visual impairment where a screen that’s too bright or too dark makes your phone difficult to use