Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Aash_j t1_ixi3r2h wrote

What work do you do OP?

stevey83 OP t1_ixi60xq wrote

Welding and metal work. I do a lot of grinding and there’s always general metal dust about. I also wear an Apple Watch and the speakers are totally full of rust and the mic doesn’t work!

Odder1 t1_ixiiru2 wrote

Apple may replace the apple watch for free, but it depends on how you tell them about the damage. Only reason they would end up replacing it for free is if it is in warranty, and you just tell them you don't know why the microphone died lol

stevey83 OP t1_ixijjbs wrote

Well it’s in quite poor condition tbh, screen scratched all over, and it’s about 4 years old! I’d love an ultra, but would get ruined in my job. My current series 4 works fine though, apart from said issues!

Odder1 t1_ixijw8w wrote

The Ultra's Sapphire glass should scratch less than your series 4 (unless you are using a n S4 with sapphire glass already)

But, it is more prone to shattering. The raised lip and flat glass helps with this, and the speakers are much bigger, too. Don't know if the Microphone would hold up though, I don't work where my watch is exposed to fine metal particles. Guess I should consider myself lucky lol

BostonAz21 t1_ixkfvwz wrote

They do have screen protectors for camera now, watches also. That’s will fix this issue I would think.

stevey83 OP t1_ixo1dok wrote

Yeah I’ve used them, but they break easily

Aamir28 t1_ixm5jbt wrote

Still daily my S4, got no intention to upgrade unless it dies.

SpeedyGoldenberg t1_ixicl51 wrote

Hope you wear a mask.

stevey83 OP t1_ixieonh wrote

Defiantly do. Welding fumes are no fun!

Captain_Billy t1_ixiohn0 wrote

Very defiant mask wearing!!

Is there a rule against it?

<I’ll see myself out>

abrahamisaninja t1_ixje3lh wrote

my dad is an ornamental welder and I got him one of those dust proof otterbox cases and it works super well. Back when we used flip phones, he would go through them pretty often because that metal dust absolutely fucks up anything with a magnet. Anyway, I would consider getting one of those if you dont already have one.

stevey83 OP t1_ixjgbuo wrote

I’ll look one up now. Thanks for the advice!

yigitpiyale t1_ixleliq wrote

Careful about speaker and mic they all work with magnets i also work at metal work all the time speakers reduce performance after almost a year

stevey83 OP t1_ixlpcuu wrote

I think I’ll need to buy a case which covers the whole phone completely. Problem is I’ve had cases like this before and then you can’t hear the phone ring.

n0rpie t1_ixlvrb8 wrote

Take high pressure air and blow out charge port and speakers. I thought my speakers were dying and charge port broken but it was just Metall powder stuck everywhere from work

stevey83 OP t1_ixi0ytj wrote

Follow on from another post, this is how much my camera pics up daily! I did have a plastic protector around it, but they break to easily.

Embarrassed-Raccoon7 t1_ixjyw1v wrote

Use the glass camera protector on Amazon they are cheap and they make the lenses flat instead of the three bumps and it’s still a little recessed in my case

kittenmommy t1_ixkd8ml wrote

You can get the same thing at Five Below for five bucks!

nagokart t1_ixk57zs wrote

I work with welders/fabricators and I had the same problem as you. I ended up with this case. My previous cases would get scratched up around the magsafe area. This one has been holding up very well so far and keeps burrs off of the camera as well.

Testing123xyz t1_ixi7wrc wrote

lol it’s got eyelashes

phixional t1_ixifkzv wrote

I would not be keeping my phone around if that was happening, but that’s just me.

I also work with steel, I have zero issues though.

sendGNUdes t1_ixivhsf wrote

Ya I’d be keeping mine in one of those waterproof sleeves or something.

Both_Pie_3852 t1_ixif5zf wrote

I’m also a metal fabricator and my camera looks the same every day. I use a q-tip to clean around the lens. Also my charging port broke due to shavings getting in there. Luckily I can still charge magnetically.

stevey83 OP t1_ixii1yn wrote

I do keep it on a shelf most of the day tbh. When I get home I put my small kitchen dyson over it to suck anything up.

blendertricks t1_ixjh5cb wrote

My step dad when I was a teen always came home with metal shavings all over him. I would step on the bigger chunks from the lathe (I assume) sometimes.

n0rpie t1_ixlvzbq wrote

Try blow it with high pressure air. I thought mine was broken until I did that and now it works perfect again lol

Both_Pie_3852 t1_ixm1dg5 wrote

I have 90 psi at work. Is that too much, do you think? Dial it back or just send it?

n0rpie t1_ixm1m0k wrote

I have know idea how much really. I’ve got those connections hanging around my work to just plug in a handle and blow clean my clothes etc

It’s safe enough to use on myself at least but I don’t know how much psi

EauRougeFlatOut t1_ixp6k9n wrote

Don’t get the nozzle too close to the speakers or charging port. Otherwise send it

MrPhil17 t1_ixj2277 wrote

The following day:

Hi Reddit, my OIS doesn't work anymore. What can I do?

/s

stevey83 OP t1_ixj9pl2 wrote

I don’t find the cameras particularly good on this phone tbh. 12 pro max

−1

authenticblob t1_ixjke2h wrote

Same happens with my phone! I work around mechanics so I get a lot of metal on my phone. I even have one of those camera covers and somehow it still attracts metal

Horace3210 t1_ixjr7z7 wrote

Another phone got poisoned by palladium

jaystorm34 t1_ixjkhwj wrote

I had this same exact experience with my XR today cause I was grinding down welds all day, the steel dust has ruined my charging port so I have a cheap wireless charger at work to charge it and i keep my 14 pro at home away from steel

SadQuarter3128 t1_ixjqdfi wrote

It's just the iPhone has an iris That's all Not a big deal

kimbolll t1_ixjqur5 wrote

That can’t be good to have right next to my balls everyday, right?

chiraltoad t1_ixl2z0p wrote

Thankfully your balls are probably non-ferrous and don't attract anything.

beanie_0 t1_ixjuso9 wrote

I’m guessing its attracted to the magnets in the phone / camera?

Kxcho t1_ixkwre0 wrote

That’s actually a Symbiote waiting to latch onto your hand dude.

BroMan-Z t1_ixjthyj wrote

I stopped setting my phone down at the plant first time this happened to me.

SilentGods- t1_ixk40dw wrote

I also found this out I’m a welder.

kejok t1_ixk42wn wrote

Well, that image stabilization aint stabilize itself

midoripeach9 t1_ixk4y83 wrote

Omg! This is worse than my nightmares

yummm_ t1_ixk84s1 wrote

Wooly Willy

youdontknowaarp t1_ixl84l9 wrote

i work as a sandblaster and the same thing happens to mine even when in my coveralls

DoDaHero t1_ixlavah wrote

I get a small piece of gorilla tape and stick it to the metal shavings and they all come off. I do it on the air pods case though but should work for you too!

vrcf1 t1_ixm6mkm wrote

Definitely pubes left while watching ‘the’ Canadian website

WalrusSwarm t1_ixko9gb wrote

Pro Tip: Hot Glue Stick + Lighter. Melt the end and apply to metal shavings/dust/chips stick to magnets 🧲.

Material-Ratio7342 t1_ixikcy2 wrote

Can some cardio doctors explain how bad this being close to a family member with a peace maker implant ?

−5

stevey83 OP t1_ixilftv wrote

I doubt there strong enough to affect anyone personally. You can check on the apple website I guess though.